VCU game

But I will take the W.

Good things are that Zips definitely dictated tempo, something we have not done well recently. We made them play our game.

Gainford's goals were treats. The first was highly improbable. The second was sublime; I hope everyone gets the chance to see it.

• Like 1

Just got back to my hotel room in Richmond after going to the game.

as fnbuflobo said, the zips really controlled the tempo.

Sean Sepe made a beautiful run to set up the 2nd goal.

The zips stopped attacking after the first goal. After the 2nd goal, the zips still played aggressive.

Very good substitution to bring Robby Dambrot in for the overtime periods. The zips had several good opportunities in the first overtime...in large part due to Robby.

Robby was the best player on the field in the first overtime.

I don't know how to show the starting 11....like fnbuflobo does so well.

back 4....were Brad Ruhaak and Andrew Souders...Niko DeVera and Nate shultz

Stuart Holthusen played up front.

Pau Belana and Victor Souto were front of the back 4.

Sam Gainford, Adam and Sean Sepe were the 3 before Stuart Holthusen

Ezana Kahsay came in for Stuart late in 2nd half.

Glad that the zips got the win. VCU really packed it in the first half

Sean was really good in the 2nd half in attacking. Victor was very good at winning 50-50 balls.

just looked at old Dominion site....Coastal Carolina def. Old Dominion 2-0 tonight.

• Like 1

As always, Dave Giffard was classy in his comments

Quotable

"That was a very tough way for us to lose. We fought back twice and I thought deserved at least a point out of that game. But I was very proud of this young group for answering twice after going down. If we can learn lessons from tonight and continue to improve each day, this could have the makings of a very good team before it's all said and done." --Head Coach Dave Giffard

"I also want to say congrats to Akron, they are a quality, well coached team, who will win a ton of games this year." --Head Coach Dave Giffard

• Like 1

Great news. Since VCU was in "others receiving votes" in several of the top 25 polls, I'm assuming they are considered at least a top 50 team. That's a good road win to get the season started.

they are much better than top 50...top 25 or top 30....former Akron assistant has really done a nice job at VCU...

impressive schedule this year for vcu http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/atlantic-10/article_419d1667-8d27-5673-8945-0bff913736ea.html

Suspended due to yellow card accumulation. I believe he will play on Sunday.

Carry over from last season? Does that happen in the pro ranks, too?

I despise many of the differences between NCAA rules and FIFA rules. I don't understand why NCAA seems to revisit American football rules every year, but not soccer rules.

To make NCAA soccer more pertinent development for the pros, I'd like to see...

• Clock that counts up
  • A single substitution per player; once you're subbed out, you're out (no re-entry).
  • Sub up to 7 players (full 18 match-available players).
  • Although it worked out for the Zips v VCU, eliminate OT during regular season matches. If tied at the end of 90 ... declare tie, 1 point each. College students shouldn't have to play these extended games except in tournament competition.

Now that my rant is over, EXCELLENT start to the season by Zips Mens Soccer last night. There are always things to improve upon, but a W on the road at VCU is most excellent. Keep it going Zips. 2ndStar

Thanks VCU/Coach Giffard for putting together such an awesome schedule. Gotta love the Zips and Rams helping each other with RPI this season!