The Akron Beacon Journal

a-zip

15 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I HAD to vent...:puke:

Don't feel bad at all.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I agree with your assessment 100%.    Obviously, the desire by the local major newspaper to cover their local D-1 mid-major program is not lacking everywhere.  But, the only thing that's going to change it here in Akron is to raise the demand for Zips coverage.   You could certainly do your part and share that story with the decision-makers in the sports dept. at the ABJ.  

You don't seem to understand the Beacons main focus. The papers function is to shape the minds of its readers to support the editorial boards political points. The social justice agenda is far more important than silly stories about UA athletics. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

You don't seem to understand the Beacons main focus. The papers function is to shape the minds of its readers to support the editorial boards political points. The social justice agenda is far more important than silly stories about UA athletics. 

But, that's the focus of the overwhelming majority of news outlets today.  So, that still makes ZipVoice's gripe about the stark difference between sports coverage for the Zips and the Bulls a valid one.  

• 1 month later...

I sent this e-mail to dwerbeck at Ohio.com just now.....Shameful lack of anything on an NCAA DI National Champion...

Good morning,

I know you get complaints from the U of A faithful about coverage of Zips sports, but would just like to add my two cents here...

Matt Ludwig, a sophomore from the University of Akron won the NCAA Division I Track & Field Championship in the pole vault.  The second vaulter from Akron to do so in the past three Championships outdoors.  That was Wednesday night.  I realize the Beacon/Ohio.com think they need to be the "bringer of all things Cleveland" to their readers and on-line viewers, but it sure would have been nice to notice this accomplishment.  I could even understand a little if Matt wasn't from the area, but he lives in Chardon, and attended Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin HS.  Certainly George Thomas or even an intern could have taken the press release and wrote something.  One of these days maybe you and the decision makers at the Beacon/Ohio.com might wake up to the fact that there is a segment of us out here that don't need a daily update on Ohio State sports, nor all things happening in Cleveland sports, since there are other papers/websites that fit that need.  Maybe give a local flavor/taste to things and support your local University, and it might just reap an increase in readership and revenue.  Maybe not, but have you at least tried it?

Thanks for letting me air my concern

• Like 6

It's a Miracle!!  An article about Matt Ludwig on the front of the ABJ Sports Page this morning.  Unbelievable. 

Maybe they were listening to some of us?

If he went to OSWho, the article would have appeared the morning after he captured the National Championship.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It's a Miracle!!  An article about Matt Ludwig on the front of the ABJ Sports Page this morning.  Unbelievable. 

Maybe they were listening to some of us?

If we went to OSWho, the article would have appeared the morning after he captured the National Championship.  

Or maybe ZipsVoice letter did some good?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I was hopeful when I read the news today (oh boy). But I've been hopeful as long as I've been a Zips fans.  I do have to say that the new owner's other papers do a nice job on local sports, especially high schools in their area, and I believe the Repository does a nice job covering Walsh University and Malone.  The Record Courier covers Can't State pretty well too, deeper into other sports that the Beacon ever did for Akron.  We will see.  Would love to see George and Marla gone, but then we still have to put up with Elton up in Cleveland.

• Like 1

http://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/akron/akron-beacon-journal-sold-to-gatehouse-media-owner-of-canton-and-columbus-papers/95-537352145

Per the video, staff interviews may be completed as early as next week. Operations may be combined with the Canton Repo and the downtown Akron building may or may not be kept.

Black press will make more money selling the city block on which the BJ sits than selling the staff and circulation to Gatehouse.  It is the true value proposition to Black Press.  Developers will bid aggressively to get that full block downtown.  Even the City of Akron is selling off their downtown real estate while the market is hot ......https://bit.ly/2qvaZor

UA should put the Quaker Square property on the market right now.  The best chance for dumping this drain on university resources.  It cost more to keep it open than the revenue it can bring to UA.