Oklahoma Predictions

johnnyzip84

I figured it’d be better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission :)

The mods can move this is they like after all.

The Dallas Morning News has this pretty fair and reasonable column on the Zips as they face the Sooners.

Now it’s time for predictions.

It happens to me every year. The excitement and anticipation of the 1st game leads to daydreaming of an upset over a Power 5 team followed by a string of wins leading to a MAC championship.

While I’d like to think the win over Pitt, the controversial loss to Michigan and the decent showings against Tennessee and Penn State during TB’s tenure offer some hope entering Norman, I honestly think this is quite a different situation than any of those. Yes, the Zip defense is very good – I’ve been on board with that for a long time, and 2015 looks to be the pinnacle on that side of the ball. But Oklahoma in 2015 is much different than any of those Power 5 teams mentioned above. None of those teams were particularly good as Power 5 teams go. The Sooners may have stumbled to 8-5 last year, but they certainly appear to have plenty of talent (Perine, Mixon, Mayfield, Shephard, etc) to turn that around this year.

I believe our defensive front will have some success against their O-line, but eventually the defense will give up some big plays. I have no idea what to expect of the Zip offense, but I think the O-line and running game will have limited success unless the passing game hits on a few of the “one and run” (without the run) plays.

I feel the element of surprise (when the OU players realize these Akron men are pretty talented, physical and determined in their own right) will keep it a little closer than the spread. It’ll be a respectable enough showing to keep hope alive for a successful 2015.

Sooners 38

Zips 17

I always have a difficult time weighing my preseason optimism vs reality. This season is no different.

I have zero belief in our ability to put points on the board. And I mean zero. I think the only way we have a shot in this is if the def/ST gets us a couple scores. PROVE ME WRONG, OFFENSE!

Official prediction: Zips Def comes out of the gate strong, O can't stay on the field long enough. Close score at the half, but defense fades in the 2nd half.

Oklahoma 38

Akron 10

As JZ84 alluded to, the 2015 Sooners are a much better team than the 2012 Volunteers, 2013 Wolverines or the 2014 Nittany Lions. While they had their problems last year, OU made a big move to fix them by bringing in Riley to install the Air Raid offense. As we witnessed in 2012, this offense can produce big numbers quickly and the Sooners have a kid at QB well versed in running this scheme from his days at Texas Tech. I think this all bodes poorly for the Zips. Even though Akron is as talented as they have been in years they are playing a team that has one proven bona fide stud running back in Perine and a fabled potential stud in Mixon. This has to be a team that has to feel they have something to prove after such a disappointing 2014 following the big bowl win over Alabama.

Hopefully, Mayfield is inaccurate and throws a couple of picks. Hopefully, the Akron front 7 can shut down the run game. Hopefully, the Zips secondary can cover OU's talented receiving corps. I think all this needs to happen to even have a shot.

On the other side of the ball, who knows what we are going to see. There is absolutely no evidence to even base an opinion or prediction on. Our offensive potential ranges from efficient machine to dumpster fire.

I hope I am wrong, but

Oklahoma 35

Akron 7

• Like 1

23-21 Akron. Ballgame, goodnight everybuddy.

Chuck Amato exploits the green offensive line early, and often. The Zips' front seven haras Mayfield the entire game. The Zips offense is able to move the Ball effectively, but not pretty to look at. Oklahoma fans go home extremely upset as Terry Bowden and the Zips pull of the season's biggest upset in Week 1.

Call me a homer, but Go Zips!

• Like 1

I don't expect the Zips to walk into this game feeling like underdogs or being overwhelmed. We have enough experience playing in large venues, and in competitive games, to give us the confidence to compete. Do we have talent that can match up. Yes, I believe we do. Here's why:

I believe the Sooners are all looking ahead to TN. They almost have to look ahead. It's a huge road game for them and the Vols are already planning to be decked out in that awful, checkerboard, orange and white.

The new offense for Oklahoma that puts the o-line in a 2 point stance, I believe gives the Zips defense an advantage. I look for an aggressive, energized defense to come out strong and try to throw Mayfield off of his game and force him into his notorious poor decision-making patterns. Their backs may break 1 or 2, but I expect a solid performance by the Zips D if the offense can give them the breathers they need. Overall, I am less concerned by the heat than I am the pace.

We are all worried about the offense. However, if you look back at some of our games last year, it is easy to see that lack of cohesion from the OL was a major factor. With a more experienced and hopefully improved OL, and an increase focus on the run game, I am hopeful that we can have a more balanced attack. If we can sustain long drives on offense, I believe we can win. If we cannot, the Zips D will wear out, eventually. I expect to see improvements, due to experience on offensive penalties, which will also help our cause.

This game may very well come down to special teams. Austin Seibert was the best punter and second best kicker in the country last year, ranked by Kohls, the premiere kicking and punting training organization in the country. However, he is not a big kid. He's 5' 10". I like the punter to be a little taller in case things go amiss. Zach Paul was able to make a couple of very athletic plays last year that saved us from bad situations. Robert Stein had a solid year last year and anticipate similar this year. I think we have the special teams edge, largely due to experience. Siebert might be able to kick a longer FG, but it is a big transition from HS to college, and a reason coaches often prefer to redshirt kids.

Zips 24, Sooners 21

• Like 1

I am going to say 24-17 Sooners.

Keep in mind that a new(or modified) Offense will debut for Oklahoma this weekend and this might be way closer than people think.

Now if the Oklahoma Offense have 4+ turnovers...........

• Like 1

31-17 sooners. If our offense can score some points it can get very interesting. We can win this game. Our defense is so good that the team can barely practice bc the defense is so dominant. Just wait till you guys see this defensive squad we have.

I considered putting up a poll that asked how many offensive points the Zips would score. It's a hard question with the (lack of) info most fans have. Hope it works.

Gameday! Lets go Zips!!

Prediction: It will most likely end up something like the WMU/MSU game last night. Probably never really in doubt in the 2nd half, but also not a complete blowout. I have no reason to think we will get blown out based on prior matchups with P5 teams and the fact that I'm not a big believer in Stoops.

Now if Mayfield/the offense comes out and stinks it up and our offense looks better than most of us assume, I think it could get pretty interesting. He hasn't played live football against real competition for a long time now. I'm leaning toward the belief that he won't look that great. Perine/Mixon will most likely get theirs and have a few big runs, but I dont see them having a field day vs what I believe, is a defense with legit P5 talent as a whole.

• 3 months later...