Go all out for JD

bobbyake

We need to pay him as much as possible. I'm talking about a big ten like deal. He is clearly the real deal. He could turn Akron into the next Louisville. He'd end up making the money for the Zips in the long run. Great investment if you ask me.. Well worth a crazy salary.

What are they going to pay him with? We have the cheapest and most short sighted fans in college sports. Even the people who consider themselves great fans complain the first time the cost of anything goes up.I'm convinced that it is not the fault of the Athetic Department that the coaches don't make more money. They would gladly pay it if they had it. It is the fault of all of US though. We are the alumni and fans of the University and in reality, very few are willing to do anything other than buy a ticket or two to support the program. We should stop blaming others and realize that WE are the problem and not THEM.

GP1, i'm only 22 while paying college by myself, supporting my 16 month old son, and only making a little more than $33,000 a year. Yeah I own a duplex and have future business plans, but right now I need to put all the capitol I have left over into my future. So in the future, I'd be glad to compete with you for "who donates more money" but right now I can't do much more than be a student and a fan. I'll try to be at every football game this year, and I'll go to as many basketball games that I can. I'm wondering if OSU makes more money off this local market than Akron does??? I have been thinking about buying a family pack season tickets and giving them away as a gift to my little cousins who'd be the happiest kids in the world if they could go to a game. Right now I just don't have the capitol available to do that. But hopefully in the near future, I'll be able to do my part with donations.

Unfortunately, JD isn't going to hang around Akron, no matter how much money we throw at the guy. REMEMBER, this is the guy who left a 6 figure salary at 30 to work for FREE with the Denver Broncos. JD has dreams and I'm sure that list includes winning an NCAA National Championship or a Super Bowl. In a few years, we'll continually be one of the top teams in the MAC, and a BCS School will come calling....JD, unfortuantely, will answer.

GP.........Do you know who you are really calling out here?My guess is you are dissing guys who even bury you personally with their contributions annually.............so please, please, check things out before you bash.No disrespect to you intended, just a caveat.............

Getting momentum going has to be harder than maintaining momentum. JD's getting momentum built into this program which no one has been able to do before. Over the next few years, if we establish ourselves as a winning program, when JD leaves the next coach should have a much easier job of selling the U to recruits. A winning tradition plus the nicest fieldhouse in college sports plus a brand new stadium! JD's the man, but the next coach should be able to take the batton and run with it.Or at least I hope. Perhaps I'm overly opptimistic?

GP.........Do you know who you are really calling out here?My guess is you are dissing guys who even bury you personally with their contributions annually.............so please, please, check things out before you bash.No disrespect to you intended, just a caveat.............
I guess if I'm calling anyone out, it is ME and everyone else. When I say we as in the Alumni, I am speaking as a member of that group which should be looked at as one body. I'm not trying to call anyone single person out though. Sorry if you are offended. However, if there are some people out there who are offended, they should ask themselves why?, and then ask if the shoe fits.I understand that there are people who give a ton of money, and that's great. The point is that this small group can not be the only people to financially support the program. If Akron is going to have a top notch program that pays coaches well and can support a new stadium some day, they must have a much larger group supporting them financially than they currently have. I don't think that asking the question, "With what?" when people say they need to pay JD more and we need a new stadium is unreasonable.The other end of the issue rests with the University. We should not always blame them for everything, but they do deserve some blame for the lack of money. I will take this point up at a later date though as I do not have the time to expand today. I think they do one thing HORRIBLY as it relates to generating money. The problem is easy to solve with a little time and effort.

There is nothing we can do to help JD. This is only a win-lose situation.If we win, JD leaves. Like another poster said though, if JD can get something started, then with the new facilities and new stadium, a new guy can keep it going. It has to start sometime, and now is that time. Hopefully we get at least 2 more years out of JD. But if we have the year I think we may, he is gone.So is the life of a mid major.