Critiquing Coach Bowden

Zipgrad01

On 10/29/2018 at 9:05 PM, CDMac said:

And I don’t even think he as all that good of a passer. He’s big, strong, and mobile. They’ve put a team around him and play to his strengths but I wasn’t all that impressed seeing him in person other than tall dudes aren’t supposed to be that nifty.  

Did you check out the UB/MU game last night? 

58 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I would like to see Bowden do something different on offense to get this team to where it was early in the season.

One way to jump start the offense is to let Dre Williams and Jeremiah Knight return kickoffs instead of taking the fair catch. Driving the ball 75 yards is not something we've proven to be good at. Those guys are game breakers. And our offense needs as short a field as possible.

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

One way to jump start the offense is to let Dre Williams and Jeremiah Knight return kickoffs instead of taking the fair catch. Driving the ball 75 yards is not something we've proven to be good at. Those guys are game breakers. And our offense needs as short a field as possible.

I don’t see it, neither have really done anything yet in open field on punt or kickoff returns, he has made a few tacklers miss but most runs have been sideways & i think best PR is like 13 yards, overall speed is not good enough other than Kwad on the offensive side 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t see it, neither have really done anything yet in open field on punt or kickoff returns, he has made a few tacklers miss but most runs have been sideways & i think best PR is like 13 yards, overall speed is not good enough other than Kwad on the offensive side 

Right.  I freaking lose my mind everytime a Zips (or Browns) returner has the opportunity to get the ball at the 25 and instead runs it and gets short of the 25.

This is the Zips for goodness sake, if you have the opportunity to start at the 25...START AT THE 25!  There's no way in hell I trust the Zips offense staring on less.

12 hours ago, Balsy said:

Right.  I freaking lose my mind everytime a Zips (or Browns) returner has the opportunity to get the ball at the 25 and instead runs it and gets short of the 25.

This is the Zips for goodness sake, if you have the opportunity to start at the 25...START AT THE 25!  There's no way in hell I trust the Zips offense staring on less.

No culture of discipline has ever been developed under Bowden.

• Like 1

Not only do we have far and away the nicest facilities in the MAC, but possibly in all of G-5 football.  On top of that, Akron is literally the epicenter of one of the nation's true hot beds for high school football talent.  Why can't we be the Mount Union of the MAC?  For the life of me I can't figure out why we aren't already.  Just hire Mount's OC, for crying out loud.  It isn't rocket science.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m saying offer Pellini the head job after seeing what he was able to do yesterday,  against our “ very good” defense (at least some Board Members thought so), and push BGSU to make him an offer, or i’d take him.  400 yards offense, utilized all sorts of different players, formations, play calling, innovating, leading, inspiring a bottom of the standing team, that had nothing to play for,  over our sorry butts.  How would you have liked to been one of our RBs or WRs that get no targets, no carries all season as well as last night while your Falcon counterparts are a part of the game plan from the start?  I’d have asked him to stay behind, take him to the Diamond Grill and have a late dinner to discuss 2019 and beyond....but I’m not right in the head, so......

• Like 1

Did a little looking at records of MAC coaches. I picked out 2 who have been coaching for during the same period of time Bowden has been here. I did not include this season(2018) as obviously it is still in progress. So these numbers include 2012 thru 2017. These are records that include in and out of conference games.1) Rod Carey Northern Illinois-Overall-44-24. And,2) our old buddy Frank Solich down in Athens-Overall-47-31(obviously he has been around a lot longer). Since taking over at 'Harvard on the Hocking"(lol) in 2005 Solich has had only 2 sub-500 seasons. Terry Bowden-Overall-31-44. If I had included the records for 2018 the records would be even more skewed toward Carey and Solich. OU and NIU are two of the top tier MAC programs. I know as we have heard over and over and over again that Bowden inherited a BOS.

Not disputing that. But,this program still has not been able to consistently compete and I say consistently with the top programs in the MAC. Starting with the MAC championship game last year this program has been trending down. At some point we have to stop comparing this program to the lowest common denominator just to make it look respectable. If you don't compare yourself to the best,you will never be one of them.

Maybe we will be shocked and Akron will beat OU and South Carolina. But...

Just watched the presser.  “ Luck of the draw” if you don’t lose a key player to injury, and in the MAC no one is deep enough to absorb a loss to a QB, TB etc...says Coach.  Says the job is to have second stringers ready to go in case...says players get over losses quicker than coaches, and after walking out of Infocision with a few coaches Saturday, I think he’s right...lots of long faces.  No one had the cojones to ask about job security, or “will you be back in 2019”?  

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Won't you all be disappointed when Bowden stays?

I think the question should be worded as “Won’t you all be disappointed when he is not let go?”  I mean, it’s not like he has anywhere to go, and when you say “stays” it infers he made a choice to stay.  I guess he could retire, but I don’t hear his name mentioned a lot as a hot ticket to move to another school.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, zipsoutsider said:

Won't you all be disappointed when Bowden stays?

Not if he makes a change at OC and improves recruiting.  I'm not anti-Bowden.  I just think changes need to be made.  He's winning about 40% of his games and if you take away the D-IAA schools, he wins about 35% of his games.  The main problem I have is the high number of games, especially late in the season, where we can't even complete with middle of the road schools.  Are you honestly satisfied with the state of the program?  

16 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Not if he makes a change at OC and improves recruiting.  I'm not anti-Bowden.  I just think changes need to be made.  He's winning about 40% of his games and if you take away the D-IAA schools, he wins about 35% of his games.  The main problem I have is the high number of games, especially late in the season, where we can't even complete with middle of the road schools.  Are you honestly satisfied with the state of the program?  

IMHO I doubt Bowden would be happy with an OC who was 'forced' on him. HC's want to pick their on staff. I feel if Bowden was that unhappy with Milwee he would have made the change already.

Totally agree with your assessment of the wins and losses.

This may sound nuts it is it possible that Milwee is just Terry’s scapegoat, that it’s TB dictating plays and Milwee keeps his job to defect blame from TB?  Have I had one too many 3 Floyd’s Space Station Milddle Fingers on tap here?