Critiquing Coach Bowden

Zipgrad01

6 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

This may sound nuts it is it possible that Milwee is just Terry’s scapegoat, that it’s TB dictating plays and Milwee keeps his job to defect blame from TB?  Have I had one too many 3 Floyd’s Space Station Milddle Fingers on tap here?

Quite possibly. I admire your Thanksgiving Day prep, but Milwee has called a completely different game than Bowden beginning with the first year he took over play calling. And it has been consistently bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Coach Bowden with a cameo at about the 1 minute mark

This is a much needed response to issues of mental health. My family has been affected by it and I bet yours has too. Football players are not immune to this disease. Get them all the help we can. 

• Like 5

First heat from the ABJ.

University of Akron football arrives at crossroads after difficult season

GT is fair.  He notes the program is in much better shape than when Bowden arrived.  He also points out problems we've been griping about for years now.  

Here is what GT said of the OL struggles:

[The inability to establish a run game] has been a consistent refrain the past two years, including the current season, when they’ve ranked last. In fairness, the Zips lost Brandon Council, their starting right tackle, after the Iowa State game. It also points to a lack of depth on the line. Losing a single lineman should not doom an entire unit.

Precisely.  Same goes with QB.  I've been perplexed over the Bowden tenure that we didn't recruit a QB every year.  That is par for the course & cost us a bowl game two years ago.

To me, it just feels like we've stopped progressing and have been on a treadmill for a number of years.  I'm hoping we go in a new direction.

To me the problem with our running game is that we have not been able to recruit good backs, till last year. Why were we not able to recruit RB's- bad press from those bottom dwelling years. We now have a stable of very good young running backs and this will definitely improve our running game for 2019. Would I like to see improvement to a bone crushing OL - heck yes, but I think we have a decent lineup. Our 3rd team right tackle, Muldowney, played pretty well yesterday I thought.

Next year, as far as athletes go, I'm concerned about the defense. Our D/E's look like Ward, Sampson, and Meeks. Our D tackles appear to be Jest, Brimage, Baptiste, Hanson and Hawkins. Might have to move Hanson to D/E, if he is fast enough. Linebacker also is a concern. I guess we'll see if Arslanian can play at 5' 9". Bubba seems to have the heart of a lion so I'd bet he makes an impact.

The way I see it, the time is not now to make a change at head coach. If Bowden stays he needs to unwrap the offense and get some better coaching there, if the athletic department gives him the money. On the defensive side I like Stroud. Go Zips      

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

To me the problem with our running game is that we have not been able to recruit good backs, till last year. Why were we not able to recruit RB's- bad press from those bottom dwelling years. We now have a stable of very good young running backs and this will definitely improve our running game for 2019. Would I like to see improvement to a bone crushing OL - heck yes, but I think we have a decent lineup. Our 3rd team right tackle, Muldowney, placed pretty well yesterday I thought.

Next year, as far as athletes go, I'm concerned about the defense. Our D/E's look like Ward, Sampson, and Meeks. Our D tackles appear to be Jest, Brimage, Baptiste, Hanson and Hawkins. Might have to move Hanson to D/E, if he is fast enough. Linebacker also is a concern. I guess we'll see if Arslanian can play at 5' 9". Bubba seems to have the heart of a lion so I'd bet he makes an impact.

The way I see it, the time is not now to make a change at head coach. If Bowden stays he needs to unwrap the offense and get some better coaching there, if the athletic department gives him the money. On the defensive side I like Stroud. Go Zips      

I think the problem has been the extreme lack of depth on the offensive line.  Just as with this year, one lineman goes down and we are done.  Even when we had Jawon Chisholm who average almost 5.0 yards a carry for his career and Conor Hundley (4.5 yards per carry for his career) we never established the run game.  Most coaching staffs would have show cased an inside and outside attack, but not the Zips.   The recruiting and game planning have prevented any type of consistent running game even though TB talks about how important it is all the time.  

5 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

I think the problem has been the extreme lack of depth on the offensive line.  Just as with this year, one lineman goes down and we are done.  Even when we had Jawon Chisholm who average almost 5.0 yards a carry for his career and Conor Hundley (4.5 yards per carry for his career) we never established the run game.  Most coaching staffs would have show cased an inside and outside attack, but not the Zips.   The recruiting and game planning have prevented any type of consistent running game even though TB talks about how important it is all the time.  

This year:

Undrea Bullard 6 6 305

Bryce Peterson 6 2 300

R J Kelly 6 3 300

Brandon Council 6 4 325

Trevor Brown 6 5 300

Nick Fazio 6 3 305

Rueben Durkee 6 5 285

Kyle Ritz 6 5 315

Shawn Muldowney 6 4 300

Hunter Corne 6 4 305

Landon Forman 6 5 280

Rich Kallay 6 5 320

Austin Sample 6 3 300

Not to mention 4 true freshman. Depth is not a problem. Maybe coaching? I don't think we as fans know. I would always build a team with the most brutal OL I could manage. If there is help needed here I would welcome anything that makes the Zips the most feared OL in the MAC.         

From an ESPN story about 20 minutes ago.

Possible candidates to succeed Bowden include Mississippi State offensive coordinator Luke Getsy, Los Angeles Chargers wide receivers coach Phil McGeoghan and Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich.

I was unaware that Luke Getsy is the OC at Mississippi State. He would be an interesting choice. The guy definitely provided a lot of fire when he played here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, UA1987 said:

This year:

Undrea Bullard 6 6 305

Bryce Peterson 6 2 300

R J Kelly 6 3 300

Brandon Council 6 4 325

Trevor Brown 6 5 300

Nick Fazio 6 3 305

Rueben Durkee 6 5 285

Kyle Ritz 6 5 315

Shawn Muldowney 6 4 300

Hunter Corne 6 4 305

Landon Forman 6 5 280

Rich Kallay 6 5 320

Austin Sample 6 3 300

Not to mention 4 true freshman. Depth is not a problem. Maybe coaching? I don't think we as fans know. I would always build a team with the most brutal OL I could manage. If there is help needed here I would welcome anything that makes the Zips the most feared OL in the MAC.         

You might be rigth as to coaching, but we certainly had no depth in terms of guys ready to step up when someone was injured.  We never had next man up as part of our program.  

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Firing a coach two weeks before signing day. Brilliant. Unless they have a ringer lined up, this should have waited until Janiary.

If TB would have signed a new class and then they fire him, doesn't that release any player who wants to leave the program without having to sit out?

12 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

If TB would have signed a new class and then they fire him, doesn't that release any player who wants to leave the program without having to sit out?

Nope. 

It would not have been shady, it's part of the game. A lot shadier crap goes on in recruiting than that.

I wonder which players will be requesting a release. If I was @CDMac's kid, I would be seriously considering it. 

Getsy might be a favorite for Zips fans, but not much of a recruiting draw. 

Honestly, none of the names in the ESPN article were very inspiring. 

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

By accident, I just read the last post on page 1 of this thread.   I thought it was a post from today an not 4 years ago apart from the mention of Kyle Pohl.  And again someone was taking Zipsoutsider to task.   

Lol, I am amused with your definition of bei g take. to task.....almost I am by the poster who think that UA is likely to attract a better coach. None of the names mentioned provide a lot to look forward to, honestly. 

17 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Nope. 

It would not have been shady, it's part of the game. A lot shadier crap goes on in recruiting than that.

I wonder which players will be requesting a release. If I was @CDMac's kid, I would be seriously considering it. 

Getsy might be a favorite for Zips fans, but not much of a recruiting draw. 

Honestly, none of the names in the ESPN article were very inspiring. 

Tell me about Getsy!