Critiquing Coach Bowden

Zipgrad01

And no one is talking about being National Champions, it’s not possible as set up now, you can’t get in final 4.  LW doesn’t want to fire a whole stuff during the holidays.  It just needed done.  I’m sure he knows things none of us know.  Let’s just compete for MAC championships first.  And before you say it, we didn’t compete.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Given the situation of one year left on Bowden's contract, the AD micromanaging the situation and removing Milwee would have been appropriate.

And what if that happened and we went 8-4 next year?

Then the AD wouldn't get to make "his" hire and move on to a bigger job. A football coaching hire is the one big thing he has been missing from his resume, even before coming to Akron.

14 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

And no one is talking about being National Champions, it’s not possible as set up now, you can’t get in final 4.  LW doesn’t want to fire a whole stuff during the holidays.  It just needed done.  I’m sure he knows things none of us know.  Let’s just compete for MAC championships first.  And before you say it, we didn’t compete.

Though not recently, upon opening of the Info, there was plenty of talk about being the Boise State of the midwest.

We played for a MACC. Think about that relative to not even being average FCS with iCoach. That's how far we've come with Bowden. Because we have a down year, you doubt his abilities to take us any further?

Edited by UAZipster0305

8 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Then the AD wouldn't get to make "his" hire and move on to a bigger job. A football coaching hire is the one big thing he has been missing from his resume, even before coming to Akron.

My point exactly. I feel this decision was made more towards personal gain than the University's and program's best interests in mind.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

giphy.gif

After beating NW and playing ISU tough, everyone thought we were headed there this season. The starting talent was there, but then there were injuries, and we are not yet deep enough to sustain those losses. Most MAC teams are a few key player injuries away from being the top or close to the top of the MAC to below average.

18 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Though not recently, upon opening of the Info, there was plenty of talk about beingg the Boise State of the midwest.

We played for a MACC. Think about that relative to not even being average FCS with iCoach. That's how far we've come.

I get what your saying.  I have a post saying I have mixed feeling because I am very grateful for what he has done but from what I’ve heard about locker room

36 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Yes, hard to compare sports, and it's likely more difficult in football in my opinion because there are so many more personnel and less games. One bad game has much more of an impact on evaluating the success or failure of a season in football than basketball.

With regard to Buffalo basketball, as you point out, they were "getting close". Akron football was by far the worst program in the country for several seasons. We may not have even been an average FCS program. TB was taking us from the cellar to average. So all else being equal between sports, the comparison doesn't hold. We are getting to average.

We could have held on another year and then made a change after Bowden's contract expired. That's all I'm saying.

Bummer.  My comparison didn't hold.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Why not call for the resignation of LW, too? What has he done for Zips football? No more fans in the seats, no real advocacy or changes in the way the MAC does things. Nothing that is really notable, period. 

The absolute best thing he has done is not try to replace coach Embick.

3 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

After beating NW and playing ISU tough, everyone thought we were headed there this season. The starting talent was there, but then there were injuries, and we are not yet deep enough to sustain those losses. Most MAC teams are a few key player injuries away from being the top or close to the top of the MAC to below average.

PLEASE ... stop the constant injuries excuses!!!  You honestly don’t think there’s reasons within Bowden’s control that led to his dismissal?  What blind loyalty, but terribly misguided...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Why not call for the resignation of LW, too? What has he done for Zips football? No more fans in the seats, no real advocacy or changes in the way the MAC does things. Nothing that is really notable, period. 

If he is 40% successful after 8 years, it will be time to do so.

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Now it’s the AD’s job to “advocate changes in the way the MAC does things”....which MAC AD do you know of that has done so?  He could have knee-jerked o the women’s soccer coach after the last two seasons but didn’t...and this season the program turned it around and made the MAC tournament.  Swimming and diving have thrived and have won 5 straight MACs, nationally ranked, and can recruit globally, and he supports that program.  Track and field has only gotten stronger since his arrival, and another case of global recruitment.  3 of the last 4 College Cup final fours.....yeah, nothing really notable.  I know you hate that Bowden’s gone, but lashing out to try to blame others is not the answer....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Now it’s the AD’s job to “advocate changes in the way the MAC does things”....which MAC AD do you know of that has done so?  He could have knee-jerked o the women’s soccer coach after the last two seasons but didn’t...and this season the program turned it around and made the MAC tournament.  Swimming and diving have thrived and have won 5 straight MACs, nationally ranked, and can recruit globally, and he supports that program.  Track and field has only gotten stronger since his arrival, and another case of global recruitment.  3 of the last 4 College Cup final fours.....yeah, nothing really notable.  I know you hate that Bowden’s gone, but lashing out to try to blame others is not the answer....

He has no accomplishments po lishments as far as I can see. I 100% agree with @UAZipster...WilWilliam's is all about himself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

He fired a coach that could only win 35% of his games against FBS opponents so that is a start.  You were so willing to give TB more time, you can give the AD a season or two to see how this plays out.

42 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

He has no accomplishments po lishments as far as I can see. I 100% agree with @UAZipster...WilWilliam's is all about himself. 

I gave examples...you just give vitriol.  And not a name of an AD who has “changed the way the MACdoes things”....

11 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I gave examples...you just give vitriol.  And not a name of an AD who has “changed the way the MACdoes things”....

You gave zero examples of independent  team success...nothing that ties directly to Williams. Plus, it was under his watch that the mandate to focus on recruiting primarily from Ohio was pushed. Oh, but you probably believe the best talent comes from Ohio, too.

12 hours ago, Zip JD said:

He fired a coach that could only win 35% of his games against FBS opponents so that is a start.  You were so willing to give TB more time, you can give the AD a season or two to see how this plays out.

Bowden delivered for the U, first bowl win, MAC East title, signature P5 upsets, including first B10 win, most wins in a season as a D1 team, 4 consecutive Wagon Wheel wins, etc.... so far, LW just blows a lot of hot air. The firing of Bowden will only be a success if he replaces him with some one who produces superior results. So claiming the firing demonstrates his competence is ignorant until we are a couple of seasons removed. 

Strikes against him: 

1. No change in game attendance,

2. No dramatic improvements in the budget

3. Firing a head coach two weeks before signing day without having a replacement ready. Who knows what the fallout from that will cost the program

4. Sounds like he went soft with negotiations with Nebraska, despite all of the bravado for the press

5. Was at the helm when decision to focus on recruiting primarily in Ohio was made

6. No notable accomplishments

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Bowden delivered for the U, first bowl win, MAC East title, signature P5 upsets, including first B10 win, most wins in a season as a D1 team, 4 consecutive Wagon Wheel wins, etc.... so far, LW just blows a lot of hot air. The firing of Bowden will only be a success if he replaces him with some one who produces superior results. So claiming the firing demonstrates his competence is ignorant until we are a couple of seasons removed. 

Strikes against him: 

3. Firing a head coach two weeks before signing day without having a replacement ready. Who knows what the fallout from that will cost the program

4. Sounds like he went soft with negotiations with Nebraska, despite all of the bravado for the press

5. Was at the helm when decision to focus on recruiting primarily in Ohio was made

I’m just curious, are you really a Zips fan?  What is your tie?  mine is obvious in my name, I am a 1994 Akron grad.  You seem like your just a Bowden fan, your name is Zipoutsider.  Like it or not the Zips are in the College Cup National Championship under is helm rather he had anything to do with it or not it goes on resume.T&F doing well, swimming & diving doing well, all on his watch, Groce hire seems pretty strong & he will be better next year when all transfers & his recruits are all in.  

I dont want any personal info just what brought you here, you are so negative & thought I remember you saying in a post you only had one more year to watch this football program.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Strikes against him: 

With all the anger you have, I just don't understand how a 4 win team that could not compete in the MAC and was frequently unwatchable gets a full pass from you.  I have stated TB did some good things and took over a terrible program.  After 7 years, the fact is he wins 40% of his games and only wins about 1 out of 3 against FBS teams.  Next year looked like more of the same. Why are you not upset about that?  Why are you not upset that we never had a running game, never had a back up QB ready to step in, never had any depth on the offensive line, never recruited well, etc.  We all want the Zips to do well and we can disagree about how they need to move forward but you have a level of venom for other Zips fans that should be reserved for PCCC.  

• Like 3