Critiquing Coach Bowden

Zipgrad01

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’m just curious, are you really a Zips fan?  What is your tie?  mine is obvious in my name, I am a 1994 Akron grad.  You seem like your just a Bowden fan, your name is Zipoutsider.  Like it or not the Zips are in the College Cup National Championship under is helm rather he had anything to do with it or not it goes on resume.T&F doing well, swimming & diving doing well, all on his watch, Groce hire seems pretty strong & he will be better next year when all transfers & his recruits are all in.  

I dont want any personal info just what brought you here, you are so negative & thought I remember you saying in a post you only had one more year to watch this football program.

I happen to agree with a lot of what Zipsoutsider says. I'm a long time Zips fan of over 30 years (not as loyal as Ron from Canton, however- the most dedicated all sports season ticket holder alum of the University). I thought Bowden should have stayed and more money should have been spent on some better asst. coaching. This and last year's recruiting classes have looked better and the Northwestern game was truly something. By the way, I spent some time with NU's asst. AD before the September game and he was very complimentary of Bowden (the AD sent me a note after our win also). Anyhow, that's all done now, so we have to hope for the best, but I see a lot of oversimplification in this discussion and it seems some do not even read replies, attachments or respond to questions (you 94zipgrad - see my previous question). I have to wonder if LW was not given orders to start an attendance upswing NOW; therefore, he felt compelled to take a drastic action. I hope to heck it works out.                        

Edited by UA1987
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

I happen to agree with a lot of what Zipsoutsider says. I'm a long time Zips fan of over 30 years (not as loyal as Ron from Canton - the most dedicated all sports season ticket holder alum of the University). I thought Bowden should have stayed and more money should have been spent on some better asst. coaching. This and last year's recruiting classes have looked better and the Northwestern game was truly something. By the way, I spent some time with NU's asst. AD before the September game and he was very complimentary of Bowden (the AD sent me a note after our win also). Anyhow, that's all done now, so we have to hope for the best, but I see a lot of oversimplification in this discussion and it seems some do not even read replies, attachments or respond to questions (you 94zipgrad - see my previous question). I have to wonder if LW was not given orders to start an attendance upswing NOW; therefore, he felt compelled to take a drastic action. I hope to heck it works out.                        

@UA1987 & @zipsoutsider I respect both of your opinions & can see all sides of the argument & that is what this board is about.  I have trouble when people start disrespecting others opinions, we had a few last year that made the board difficult to enjoy & the moderator’s handled it,  I believe @zipoutsider has taken some of our opinions personally or the firing of Bowden personally like we fired him & saying we live in a fantasy land or not in reality & I’m not a wussy, I’m just saying

I have said I have mixed feelings, he has pulled us out of the basement of NCAA football & I appreciate that.  I was for keeping him & getting rid of Milwee.  What I have heard is Milwee lost the guys & there was issues & disrespect with players that had gotten obvious & disruptive.  I say I heard because I did hear that, I’m not in the locker room, meetings or practice so I have not witnessed it & Im always hesitant to say things I’ve heard because I really don’t know if it’s true 

People have been saying for a long time fire Milwee & get a new OC & he didn’t & it ended up costing him.  Now, I’m discussing coaching candidates from here on out.  Hoping for the best.  We can’t save Bowden so let’s move on.  I maybe unrealistic but I do believe we have the ability to be a successful football program.  Winning helps make all our issues manageable. We have facilities, good recruiting grounds, we need a coach to get us there & spark some energy in the community & I do believe we can put butts in seats,  we may not sell out but I do believe we can put a real 15-25k in the stadium 

This is just my opinion I’m throwing out there.  I loved President Wilson because he was everywhere supporting everything he could.  He may have been a terrible President but I thought he was the best I had seen because he was positive & was selling the University all the time.

I would like a coach like that.  Sell your football program all the time everywhere you go, know your players names & promote promote promote,  the University needs to help

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 12:25 PM, UAZipster0305 said:

My point exactly. I feel this decision was made more towards personal gain than the University's and program's best interests in mind.

At this level,coaches and AD's are normally looking for their next job at a more prestigious school. Bowden may have been the exception due to age  and prior experiences. Most younger,ambitious people in college sports seem to be looking to move up if possible. Other AD's here have done it.

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

At this level,coaches and AD's are normally looking for their next job at a more prestigious school. Bowden may have been the exception due to age  and prior experiences. Most younger,ambitious people in college sports seem to be looking to move up if possible. Other AD's here have done it.

Whose best interests?  The ADs?  I would hope he would make decisions in his best interests.  Making a bad decision (which could include doing nothing) would conversely not be in his best interest. (Referring to 03/05's post)

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, NWAkron said:

Whose best interests?  The ADs?  I would hope he would make decisions in his best interests.  Making a bad decision (which could include doing nothing) would conversely not be in his best interest. (Referring to 03/05's post)

You would think if an AD makes sound personnel decisions(coaches,assistants ect.) that would benefit the programs he/she/oversees as well as himself/herself. Thats what good administrators do in ANY line of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1