Zips vs OSU

A little "sloppy" would be how I defined the offense.

A tendency to downright "collapse" is how I would describe the defense.

I see that some feel that we had plenty of chances to win, but we also had plenty of chances to lose. I feel fortunate with the tie. At least it leaves the "11 in a row without a loss" streak intact.

Good thing we had a little more overall talent, which saved us from a possibly embarrassing home loss in front of what will be the season's largest crowd.

• Like 1

had not read the beacon yet...when I posted above

Coach Embick and Sam Gainford quotes from the Beacon:

Embick:

Gainford, who finished the match with the final assist on all three goals after scoring two goals in Friday night’s win over St. Louis, was taken out in the first half to have stitches put in his nose.

“In a game where we weren’t necessarily competing in all spots, he was competing and running hard despite not being 100 percent,” Zips coach Jared Embick said. “And he obviously has the talent and skill to go with it.”

“At the end of the day, I think 3-3 ends up being a fair result,” Embick said. “I think they outplayed us the majority of the game.”
“They kind of understand our players, their strengths, and what they’re capable of,” Embick said of the teams’ familiarity with each other after playing twice last season. “Most importantly, I think Ohio State knows who they have to be to play us and have success against us.”

TennZip...I've read the Beacon.

Of course, I'm pi$$ed that it appears to report it as if it was two local high school teams playing each other, as if there wasn't a "home team". Even the headline just says "Battle Ends in Draw", with a subtitle "Zips, Buckeyes soccer players go to overtime....". And I didn't see any mention at all of the undefeated streak against the Suckeyes reaching 11 games.

Definitely disappointing.

1. I love this team. They are very talented and young men of great character. However, I see, for lack of a better term, "laziness". Last night, they seemed to believe the 1-4 Buckeyes were going to just give us the game. The Buckeyes' players were ready to take on the Zips. Unfortunately, I didn't see the Zips ready to defend their turf. Caleb Porter and team used to apologize for matches like we watched last night. This team, being much better than they played, should do the same. THIS IS AKRON!

2. I'll repeat...these Zips are VERY talented. I know this team could win the College Cup. But, where's the desire, the heart, the passion? You can't achieve a goal if you don't set that goal. In 2009 and 2010, I believe the team, among other Akron sports teams, had "goal coaches". Do we have them now? If not, I'd at least suggest that the coaches consider bringing in some folks (former Zips, former Zips coaches, others) to talk with these guys about setting & achieving goals. I'm sure the coaches are talking about goals, but sometimes it helps to hear it from multiple sources, and not necessarily all those sources need to be sports figures. Success in business, career, etc. all stem from the same beliefs, attitudes, actions, etc.

3. NCAA substitution rules...I HATE them. However, they are what they are, and we need to take better advantage of them. We had some very talented players sitting on the bench who could have provided fresh legs. For some reason, we only chose to sub a few players. Are the guys sitting the bench doing so because they're lazy in practice? For example, Stuart Holthusen has been missing from at least the last 2 games. He played in the U20 World Cup for New Zealand. I don't know what the issue is, but if he's "dogging it", then I challenge him to find a way to get motivated. From what I've seen of him, he could be an OUTSTANDING player and help the Zips win a National Championship all the while bettering his future prospects. Same goes for Bryce Cregan. We could use some help with defending. Stop moping that you're not starting (if that's the case) and start working your butt off in practice to get on the field during games. I ask all of our players to take a good look at themselves. If you can truly say you did your best, then ok. But, remember, you've been given a great opportunity to play for a team that could be great and win a National Championship. Seize the opportunity. It won't be there forever.

4. Forget this game other than to learn from it. It's in the past and can't be changed. Wake Forest, and only Wake Forest matters now. Work your butts off, fix the issues, and let's defend our home and beat Wake.

I'll finish by saying again that I love this team and every one of our players. Thank you all for coming to and playing for Akron. Take my comments as I offer them...I know you're a GREAT group of guys whom I happily travel all over and show up early to support. Find it within yourselves to be a GREAT team and to achieve that which I know you can.

• Like 2

Well said, Zip_ME87.

I love this team as well. Next week will be a true test of what this team is capable of. Flying out to California and playing a tough cal santa barbara team ...3 days after battling a top ACC team....will be a tremendous challenge. This team shut out an excellent Georgetown team and Georgetown, 2 days later, scored 3 against UCLA. This team can achieve great things. Soccer is an unforgiving game and it always takes 90 minutes of unrelenting passion. I believe this group will grow from last night's game

• Like 1

A few additional items I should have mentioned.

5. Victor Souto has matured IMMENSELY this season. At Georgetown, Maryland, and again last night, I saw Victor take some sh*t that would have lit him up last year (or even back in the Spring). The Buckeyes tried to set him off at least once, and he didn't take the bait. What a difference it is this season to have Victor in all of the games for all of the minutes. I'm so proud and impressed by what he's doing on and off the field this far from home.

6. This team has matured so much from last season. When we went down 0-2 vs St Louis, I had a confident feeling that the Zips would come back and find a way to win. When they cut it to 1-2 at halftime, I just knew they'd do it, and they did. I know they can win this year. I BELIEVE. I'm hoping they will, too, and do what each of them needs to do to make it happen.

GO ZIPS!!

• Like 2

5. Victor Souto has matured IMMENSELY this season. At Georgetown, Maryland, and again last night, I saw Victor take some sh*t that would have lit him up last year (or even back in the Spring). The Buckeyes tried to set him off at least once, and he didn't take the bait. What a difference it is this season to have Victor in all of the games for all of the minutes. I'm so proud and impressed by what he's doing on and off the field this far from home.

6. This team has matured so much from last season. When we went down 0-2 vs St Louis, I had a confident feeling that the Zips would come back and find a way to win. When they cut it to 1-2 at halftime, I just knew they'd do it, and they did. I know they can win this year. I BELIEVE. I'm hoping they will, too, and do what each of them needs to do to make it happen.

GO ZIPS!!

Funny…..I felt the same way. After 10 minutes we were down 2-0….some of my buddies were saying "I thought you guys were good?" I took a few bets (getting improved odds) and never seated it. I did have a feeling OSU might be a let down but damn….this has to be one of the roughest early schedules I can remember.

I just saw on the soccer schedule that UCLA is coming to play UA in Akron in November. Anyone have any insight on scheduling dynamics work in soccer? I think it's pretty cool that this is happening and am hoping it means that perhaps UA will be out here to play the Bruins next year? Is there a similar "home and home" expectation?

I just saw on the soccer schedule that UCLA is coming to play UA in Akron in November. Anyone have any insight on scheduling dynamics work in soccer? I think it's pretty cool that this is happening and am hoping it means that perhaps UA will be out here to play the Bruins next year? Is there a similar "home and home" expectation?

I don't have any absolute information for you, but I believe the Zips will likely be visiting Westwood next season. I'm actually hoping for a UCLA and Santa Clara payback in the same weekend. I'd love to visit SoCal and the Bay Area both with the Zips.

When are the panzy @ss USCB Gauchos coming to Akron? They already owe us for our 2011 visit, and we're visiting again this year. (I wish we weren't. Screw them until they come to Akron.)

GO ZIPS!!

I went to the facebook page for zips soccer for the first time ever this weekend...and ended up rereading the players blogs from Brasil. I was so impressed by Victor's passion and intelligence. I am so very glad that Victor is part of the Akron soccer family and I root very for Akron's warrior in the midfield as he is so far from home. Victor and the other Akron players...thank you for fighting so hard for Akron soccer.

Victor wrote:

first blog:

Today is one of those unforgettable days that we have throughout our lives. I am literally living a dream today. Today in Brazil, my two families came together: my Akron family, and my Brazilian family. First I would like to thank everyone that contributed to this trip, and for the realization of personal dream of mine. I look at this trip as a remarkable point for our Akron Soccer Program, and I am confident that I will be writing to you guys in December celebrating the National Championship. To all of the student-athletes, coaching staff, donors, 2SV Sports and all of the people that are directly or indirectly involved on our trip to Brazil, THANK YOU for helping us make this dream a reality.

It has been two years and five months since I have been living my two "lives", my American one and my Brazilian one. All of the hours travelling on airplanes and bus did not get me tired; instead, the long trip has so far been rewarding. I wish you all could see how tight I hugged my Dad, Mom and brother, and how happy I was at the airport when I looked back and I saw all of my teammates and coaches celebrating that moment with me. I will never forget that. Never. It was an indescribable feeling.

At that moment, I realized how many people support me, will help me when I am in need, and want to see me succeed. In exchange I will leave everything I have on and off the field on this trip, and I cannot wait for the fall to make sure that both of my families feel proud of me. I like the responsibility, and I love being an Akron warrior.

final note:

For nearly 10 days my Akron Family was in my home country of Brazil. The mix of good feelings still goes through my body and thoughts and everytime I remember those moments my mind flashes me forward to December when with hard work and dedication we will have an excellent opportunity to lift the NCAA National Championship trophy.

None of that would be possible if everyone at the University of Akron, donors, coaching staff, 2SV Sports, and all the people involved in this trip did not believe and invest in us. I thank you all so much. It has been paid off already, but my Akron family wants more.

We have seen and proven to ourselves that we are more than capable of accomplishing big things. We set a goal during our time in Brasil, which is to put the University of Akron Men's Soccer back at the top of college soccer like in 2010, and to get a second star on our jerseys. I know words will not win anything, but our mindset will.

I don't have any absolute information for you, but I believe the Zips will likely be visiting Westwood next season. I'm actually hoping for a UCLA and Santa Clara payback in the same weekend. I'd love to visit SoCal and the Bay Area both with the Zips.

When are the panzy @ss USCB Gauchos coming to Akron? They already owe us for our 2011 visit, and we're visiting again this year. (I wish we weren't. Screw them until they come to Akron.)

In the past, under the two previous coaching administrations, I was able to find out future skeds. I actually had it on background that the team was supposed to return (for first time in a decade) to Portland, but it ended up only one team member went and left everyone else behind -- lol! But if not for the success of the Porter era, the Bruins would not be visiting the Rubber City. This is just the second time I can recall a UCLA team visiting a MAC school -- their women's volleyball played at Can't ten+ yrs ago. Of course I'd love to see Embick's team play anywhere on the West Coast, but there have to be multiple games at the same venue, not a plane flight apart (and UCLA does not host any tournaments). Univ of Portland has an annual tournament, which we've played in at least twice which usually includes Washington Huskies. I imagine we would be treated well -- as long as we get there while Caleb is still coaching there!

In the past, under the two previous coaching administrations, I was able to find out future skeds. I actually had it on background that the team was supposed to return (for first time in a decade) to Portland, but it ended up only one team member went and left everyone else behind -- lol! But if not for the success of the Porter era, the Bruins would not be visiting the Rubber City. This is just the second time I can recall a UCLA team visiting a MAC school -- their women's volleyball played at Can't ten+ yrs ago. Of course I'd love to see Embick's team play anywhere on the West Coast, but there have to be multiple games at the same venue, not a plane flight apart (and UCLA does not host any tournaments). Univ of Portland has an annual tournament, which we've played in at least twice which usually includes Washington Huskies. I imagine we would be treated well -- as long as we get there while Caleb is still coaching there!

While it is hopeful on my part to play UCLA and Santa Clara in the same trip, I disagree with you about "playing at the same venue". I could see a trip to SoCal that could include a game at UCLA and another game at Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly, or Irvine ... all bus trips away from UCLA and no different than VCU in Richmond and ODU in Norfolk in one trip this season other than the plane flight to SoCal & back.

While it is hopeful on my part to play UCLA and Santa Clara in the same trip, I disagree with you about "playing at the same venue". I could see a trip to SoCal that could include a game at UCLA and another game at Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly, or Irvine ... all bus trips away from UCLA and no different than VCU in Richmond and ODU in Norfolk in one trip this season other than the plane flight to SoCal & back.

Well...I agree in general...However, I'm pretty sure you do not have much experience at SoCal driving, so my experience: When the Zips played (2 games) @CSUN in 2011, I had three other games to see the same Labor Day weekend. I was staying in Northridge/Reseda, and had to get to Irvine for a Hawaii women's game on Friday evening. The drive of about 30-40 miles took me over 4 HOURS! I had to drive back late that night and arrived back after 11:30 from a 7PM game. So, while it seems easy to combine games, in the LA metroplex it is always a drudgery! Of course, if one is JUST interested in say two Akron games, you can hopefully arrange to stay closer to the actual venues. But as much as I enjoy SOME parts of my vacations in the LA area, I ALWAYS hate driving anywhere! I bet Richmond doesn't have the same traffic as the San Diego Freeway!

If anyone is interested, the PAC-12 Network is showing the UCSB - UCLA game in under an hour (10PM EST).

Here's the internet connex if you can't get it on cable. http://pac-12.com/

zips are going to have 2 tough games this week. Cal Santa Barbara went into Bruin land last night and spanked UCLA 4-2

• Like 1

My, my, how quickly you've forgotten about 2010 when UCSB fans largely got behind the Zips. Oh, and who exactly are the USCB Gauchos, anyway?

Ask yourself this... who's getting the better deal... Akron visiting Santa Barbara or Santa Barbara visiting Akron? :)

Seriously, we're looking forward to Akron's visit. There will be a large crowd in attendance. There should be over 8,000 people there since this is our first match with the students back, and we're coming off a win versus UCLA.

I'll be rooting for you guys tonight versus Wake. UCSB is #12 in the RPI while Akron currently sits at #13.

http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI%20Rank

• Like 1

My, my, how quickly you've forgotten about 2010 when UCSB fans largely got behind the Zips. Oh, and who exactly are the USCB Gauchos, anyway?

Ask yourself this... who's getting the better deal... Akron visiting Santa Barbara or Santa Barbara visiting Akron? :)

Seriously, we're looking forward to Akron's visit. There will be a large crowd in attendance. There should be over 8,000 people there since this is our first match with the students back, and we're coming off a win versus UCLA.

I'll be rooting for you guys tonight versus Wake. UCSB is #12 in the RPI while Akron currently sits at #13.

Gaucho Mike, looking forward to watching the game on video and seeing the great crowd. UCSB really supports their soccer. I was thinking that the first official NCAA mens soccer RPI does not come out until Sept. 28. Who does the RPI estimating that you have attached? Is it usally pretty close to the official NCAA RPI?

I haven't forgotten anything about 2010. I appreciated your hospitality while we were there, and you have a beautiful campus and good fans. However, I was also there in 2011, and watched you guys throw your tortillas AT players during the run of play. I don't get that. No problem with your tortilla celebration but not throwing them at players during play. It was a rough midweek trip that isn't worth it during the regular season, especially when you don't have the courtesy to return the visit. You're being happy that Akron is visiting doesn't mean anything to me. Have some courtesy, and balls, like UCLA, and come to Akron.

EDIT: BTW, UCSB benefits from Akron coming to UCSB much more than Akron benefits from the trip. If your 8,000 materialize, which they didn't in 2011, you will bring in some serious revenue besides playing a ranked team that is not nearly as rested as your team on your field. The only benefit Akron gets is RPI bump.