Rooting against OSU

crone

sgm405, HAVE SOME PRIDE. I hope you realize that by rooting for the bucks, you're actually helping them maintain their status as "THE" only elite ohio school, or so people think. (Pretty shitty move man) Honestly, you really shouldn't care that your family members went to OSU, that is their team and their school, NOT YOURS. Their school is a reflection on them, not you. You're not a nut, you're a ZIP, act like it. Grow a pair and root for your team. So what Akron is just now starting to win on the most competitive level. As Akron student we should be taking that momentum and running with it. Remeber it's a reflection on you not your family. You should be telling anyone who will listen about how great of a school Akron is.PS-----> Please don't ever campare yourself to Grady again. Trust me, you're not going to get ONE girl if he's around.

sgm405, HAVE SOME PRIDE. I hope you realize that by rooting for the bucks, you're actually helping them maintain their status as "THE" only elite ohio school, or so people think. (Pretty shitty move man) Honestly, you really shouldn't care that your family members went to OSU, that is their team and their school, NOT YOURS. Their school is a reflection on them, not you. You're not a nut, you're a ZIP, act like it. Grow a pair and root for your team. So what Akron is just now starting to win on the most competitive level. As Akron student we should be taking that momentum and running with it. Remeber it's a reflection on you not your family. You should be telling anyone who will listen about how great of a school Akron is.PS-----> Please don't ever campare yourself to Grady again. Trust me, you're not going to get ONE girl if he's around.
Who cares?As long as he's an Akron fan!These are the guys you need to hate.... :screwks:

Can't is grabage. They only won one game last year. We should pound them every single year from now until forever. Lets move on to bigger and better things. Say a national championship. MAC championships are good, but should now just be a bump in the road. It's all about progressing to another level, and Can't should no longer be on our level.

Can't is grabage. They only won one game last year. We should pound them every single year from now until forever. Lets move on to bigger and better things. Say a national championship. MAC championships are good, but should now just be a bump in the road. It's all about progressing to another level, and Can't should no longer be on our level.
As excited as I was for Akron to win the MAC championship, we need to dominate the league before we move on. It was the closest finnish in some time to determine which team advanced to the championship game. One championship doesn't make a great team and Can't isn't the only team in the league.

That's actually why I root against the Buckeyes. If they would regress to the point of being an 8-3 team and go .500 in bowl games, maybe people around Akron would fall out of love with them and open their eyes to the other fish in the sea - US!!!But in sgm's defense, I believe I remember him posting that he got his bachelor's from OSU, but I may be mistaken. And in everyone's defense, being raised in Ohio, we are taught to root for OSU - it's part of our cultural DNA. It's considered odd if one doesn't root for OSU. To not root for OSU is clearly non-conformist. It truly takes an independently strong mind to do otherwise, and quite frankly, there aren't too many independent minds in the whole world, let alone Ohio. Human beings are sheep. Everyone knows that. It is frustrating none the less.

It truly takes an independently strong mind to do otherwise, and quite frankly, there aren't too many independent minds in the whole world, let alone Ohio. Human beings are sheep. Everyone knows that. It is frustrating none the less.
You need some new friends. It's a lot more fun out of the pen. ;)

Blue & Gold, I agree. I don't think sgm ever went to OSU, your talking about BuckZip I believe. My beef with OSU is that they are a Columbus school, yet a lot of people in Akron think it's the only school in Ohio.Thinking it's 'OK' to support the Buckeyes is your choice, but understand that OSU is in Akron's way to becoming the state's powerhouse.Would the residents that live around Texas Tech root for Texas??? The ones that live near Oklahoma State root for Oklahoma??? Oregon State root for Oregon. Arizona State root for Arizona???? etc..........Maybe we're not called Ohio, or the University of Ohio at Akron. But OSU will always be in are way.

You need some new friends. It's a lot more fun out of the pen. ;)
Ha! Yeah, I suppose. I'm just saying that it can be extremely frustrating trying to get other people excited about Zips football. Almost every guy I know LOVES OSU football, all while virtually none of them have even set foot on campus in Columbus. You're raised to root for OSU around here and it gets to be a part of one's cultural DNA. To do otherwise almost requires an existential leap!!! And so I get frustrated when I make deliberate attempts to be verbal about my excitement for the Zips - when everyone else is talking about the OSU game - I'll often try to interject Zips football into our conversations and they just give me a few condescending nods and then immediately continue talking about OSU!!! :wall: It gets so old real quick, especially when I'm trying to get other people excited about the Zips but all they care about is OSU. I honestly sat at home by myself this past Saturday to watch the Zips game because all of my friends were going to watch the OSU game!!! :mad_flame: Really, doesn't that just piss you off!

Alright Crone. Since you're new here, I'm going to go easy on you at first. I want you to explain to me a few things...1) I have been to one OSU game, with a media pass, when they played Akron. I have one or two OSU shirts. I watch their games when they aren't on the same time as Akron, and root for them as long as they aren't playing Akron. Do you honestly believe that I'm helping them maintain their elite status? Aren't they maintaining that elite status by winning year after year? Trust me, I think it's more of that and less of one guy who owns a few shirts and watches the game on TV. 2) I didn't grow up near the Akron area. My uncle went to OSU, so when I started following college football I - not living near any university - cheered for my uncle's school...what other logic would I have to pick a favorite team other than the one school that I had some kind of tie to? I did cheer for them from the time I was 4 years old and have ever since (unless, as I said, they're playing Akron). Now...unless Akron and OSU are competing on the field, why does it matter if I support both, as long as I cheer for Akron if they play each other. If a person grew up in Akron as a Zips fan then went to Ohio State, would you be angry or call them out for cheering for the Zips as a #2?3) Please don't question my pride for the school, or tell me to "grow a pair". In my 6 years as an Akron student (I'm in grad school now), I've showed a great deal of pride in my school. I've been just just about every home football and basketball game in those 6 years. I've also gone to every Can't-Akron game in those 6 years but one when I couldn't get off of work. Every Saturday you can find me tailgating with friends at the Rubber Bowl, and I'm usually in the first few rows of the student sections at basketball games. I've been to every MAC tournament...I traveled to the MAC Title game...to the bowl game. Heck, I went and saw some soccer games and I don't even like soccer! When I used to DJ I always talked about Zips games...when I used to be on a sports talk show we always used to devote time to Zips athletics. I'm currently substitute teaching on the side for money while I'm going through grad school and some of the other teachers joke about how I seem like a recruiter at times, always talking so proudly about Akron, telling the kids to apply there when discussing their collegiate options. I've seen Akron put out some bad teams, I've seen Akron blow some big games, and never did I stop showing my support and being prideful in my Zips. Last year, when Domenik Hixon came down with that incredible pass from Luke Getsy, it was honestly one of the greatest moments of my life. So if you want to make the claim that I shouldn't cheer for OSU, that's fine. Bobbyake and a few others have said the same, and that's cool...I respect their opinions and I think although they disagree with me, that they respect mine. But don't you come in here with your first post in the forum and call me out for not being a true fan...I've been here awhile...if you're such a great fan, why are you only showing up just now? Oh, and Can't sucks.

Oh I missed the Grady comment...sorry. When did I ever say I would get more girls than Grady, or get girls that Grady wanted? I said I'd only have a chance with any girls he didn't want. Good job trying to take what I said out of context though. :thumb: As for your other comment:"Lets move on to bigger and better things. Say a national championship. MAC championships are good, but should now just be a bump in the road. It's all about progressing to another level, and Can't should no longer be on our level."I think everyone here would love for the Zips to compete for a National Title. I also think everyone agrees that we need to think positive and believe that we can reach that point. At the same time, I think everyone (well, except you) realizes that Akron is not yet at the level of competing for a National Title. They just won their first conference title last year! And although I believe we'll do it again this year, it's not going to be a walk in the park by any means. Northern Illinois, Toledo, Miami, Central Michigan, etc will all be tough. We need to establish ourselves as a consistent winner in the MAC before we can talk about National Title hopes. You can't overlook anyone in the MAC, even a team as bad as Can't. Ask the 2003 Zips team what happens when you do that.

sgm, when someone says anything negative about OSU, your so quick to jump in and defend OSU. Understand that a lot of Akron fans are tired of seeing OSU, OSU, OSU all over this damn city. We're proud of Akron and we want to see more Akron but apparently all these front runners are keeping that from happening. So we're taking a stand. We're telling people that it's ok to root against OSU. And everytime we say something of that sort, you go ballistic. I've looked throughout the history of your posts and this is true. Aren't you tired of seeing OSU all over the ABJ. The Zips get horrible coverage by them. Wouldn't you be pissed if you go to a bar to watch an Akron game and you have to complain to get the game on.If we continue to support OSU, the attitudes in this city are not going to change. When Crone says, "be proud of your school," he's saying, "Stand up against the locals who think OSU is the only college in Ohio."And he's been reading ZipsNation for awhile, he decided to register after he read one of your posts.I understand you root for OSU, but everytime you stick up for them, your making it seem like you care too much about them. Sometimes you sound like another one of those front runners from this city. You've explained that your not, I get the point, but aren't you tired of the Zips being ignored by everyone around here, even the ABJ? Who are they ignoring Akron for????This is what OSU has been doing to Akron the past decade when it comes to everything including recruiting :nutkick: It's time we give them hell for this :chair::gun:

bobbyake -There's a difference between thinking I shouldn't cheer for OSU - as you do - and calling me out on my level of pride as a Zips fan, as well as on my manhood - like the newbie did. I am not a frontrunner...I have explained that, so that shouldn't even be brought up at this point. I do not work for the ABJ...I can't control the coverage they get. When I did work for a media source, I went out of my way to make sure Akron sports received attention. You say that you are telling people that they don't have to root for OSU, that it's ok to do so. Is this really the true message you've been trying to send? Isn't more that you're telling people that they are wrong if they root for OSU, and that it somehow makes them less of a Zips fans if they do? Just wanted to clear all of that up...Anyways...It's amusing to me that you guys don't even realize the most ironic part of this entire thing. It isn't me or anyone else that likes OSU that continually brings them up. Heck, I've never started a topic on OSU. This is the Zips board and I come here to discuss Zips athletics. It's funny...all of the people who are so against OSU and the attention they receive are the same ones who continually make OSU a central topic on these forums. Don't you realize that?And yes, I am a fan of OSU, so yes, I will defend them when someone takes a cheap shot at them or their fans. I've been a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I will defend them when people take cheap shots against them, just as I would if someone took shots at the Zips and their fans. Being proud of your school is about supporting your team. It's about going to the games, it's about wearing the gear, it's about spreading the message that your school is something special to people all over. It's also about showing class. You don't like OSU and their fans? That's cool. As you say, you definitely don't have to like them. But instead of sitting here badmouthing them, why not respect what they've done and help push Akron to one day match it or even top it. You want to stop OSU from receiving all of the attention? Here's a few simple steps to at least help your cause...1) Stop talking about them and bringing them up. Again...they would barely be mentioned on this board if the OSU haters didn't constantly bring them up. 2) Stop bashing people who cheer for them. I found it interesting that everyone seemed to jump on a guy wearing OSU stuff at Paninis. I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole story...but why did you guys rip on him? Maybe he used to go there? And if so, what's wrong with him cheering for them? Now if he didn't, then I guess you could call him a frontrunner...my point is that you don't really know either way, and that sometimes you guys are too quick to throw that label on someone. Sure, OSU has some frontrunners. So does Akron...do you really think all of those fans at the Motor City Bowl were around when things weren't so peachy? Also, if you really want someone to take notice of Akron and get them to start rooting for the Zips, the best way of doing that is not by attacking them. Think about it...if you were a fan of OSU and all of the Akron fans ripped into you for no reason, would that make you want to be a part of that group? Furthermore, as an "average fan" who could sway either way, would you want to be a part o the group that attacks and disrespects a fan of another team for no reason? If you really want people to jump aboard the Akron bandwagon, you really need to think about how you are perceived to others. 3) Stop worrying about things you can't control, and start focusing on things that you can control. The ABJ doesn't give the Zips much coverage. Neither do many of the other local papers. Unless someone hits the lottery and buys one of the newspapers, or becomes a writer for one of the papers, there's not much you can do. So why worry about it? Instead, focus on pushing across a POSITIVE message about why people should get involved in following the Zips. Talk about the football team's success last year, the great recruiting classes we'll be seeing, the outstanding outlook for this season. Talk about the soccer team being nationally ranked. Bring up the basketball team being an early favorite in the MAC, and how they have a good possibility of going dancing come March. Talk about the Track and Field team and their recent success. Discuss the growing student section and their increasing effectiveness at games. Mention how beautiful the campus is...how nice the new dorms are...how amazing the rec center and fieldhouse are. Let them know about the new stadium and how much it will mean to this school and this city. Talk about all of the positives of being a Zips fan...and all of the great things we have to look forward to. If that doesn't sell them on becoming a fan, then in all honesty, probably nothing will. But if you talk about all of that, shake their hand, and tell them that you hope to see them again next time at the bar/game/whatever...being cordial and treating them with respect, making them feel welcome...I'm telling you...it'd make anyone consider hopping aboard the Zips bandwagon. And if you decide to do the opposite and focus the talk on OSU...and badmouth the school, the teams, the fans...and maybe even badmouth or ridicule the people for liking OSU...well, then don't come bitching about it on here. Because YOU then are STILL the ones then that are giving OSU attention and constantly bringing them up when there is really no need to...And in the end...in a twisted kind of way...wouldn't that make you your own worst enemy? Think about it...really think about it. Go Zips...Can't Sucks...Goodnight(Don't forget to tell people about the Zips Nation myspace people!)

As I was just playing NCAA Football I continued to think more about the topic at hand. And I thought of a story that I'd share with everyone here...My buddy Jason is a very successful person. He's got a great big house, he accomplishes a lot of great things...every year, he seems to find a way to be very successful, and has been doing so for as long as I can remember. A lot of people who know Jason like the guy. He's the type of guy most people want to be like - well respected and very successful year in, year out. Because of this, Jason gets a lot of attention. He also has his pick of available girls...I mean, what girl wouldn't want to be with a guy like Jason? His younger brother Mark isn't quite at the level of Jason at this point in time. During his lifetime, he hasn't always received the most attention, although he has done some very good things from time to time. Still, many people tend to focus on the negatives in his past...although those close to him know that he can and will be just as successful as his brother in due time. He lives in an old, run down house, but has plans to build a great new one in just a few years. He gets a lot of girls, good ones too, even if their not in the same class as the ones Jason gets. Last year things didn't start off very well for him, but he worked hard and turned them around...and he ended up having his best year yet. This year, building off his success from the previous year, he's expected to do big things once again. And he's starting to get more attention from people. However, Jason is still getting even more, as he is expected to do more and more great things. Mark's in a unique situation. He has an up close and personal view of a very successful person. He knows that the success this person has is the type of success that he wants one day. He also knows that he is capable of one day fulfilling those dreams and being just as successful as Jason, if not moreso. There's two routes Mark can go here...A) Mark can keep focusing on what he needs to do to be successful. He can work hard and continue to get better and better. He can look at what Jason has done and learn from him, even his mistakes. He can be respectful of Jason, even if his long-term goal is to outshine him. People might not notice Mark now, but they will one day...once he gets his new house, once he starts having successful year after successful year, once he gets all the best girls...and they'll respect the path he took to get there. ORB) Mark can focus on trying to bring Jason down, rather than trying to bring himself up. He can badmouth Jason. He can ridicule the things he does and the accomplishments he has had. He can call the people who like and respect Jason idiots, and boast that if they support Jason, that they can't support him as well. He can complain about the attention Jason gets, and bitch about how all of the best girls go to Jason and not him. He can "wage war" on Jason, although Jason didn't really do anything wrong...unless working your way to the top is considered wrong these days. So I ask all of you...which actions would you take if you were Mark? Which actions do you think will best earn the respect of Mark's peers? Which actions will get Mark to be that guy that everyone likes and wants to be like? Really think about this...I just thought that maybe looking at the situation in a different way would help...we'll see I guess.

Just a simple question I have to ask. Does anyone happen to know where Antonio Pittman, Chris Wells, Ted Ginn, Troy Smith, and Anthony Gonzalez are from? Sounds to me like we compete with OSU for recruites more than we think. By getting any three of just the 5 guys I listed, we would definately compete for, (and most likely win) the MAC championship with ease.

2) Stop bashing people who cheer for them. I found it interesting that everyone seemed to jump on a guy wearing OSU stuff at Paninis. I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole story...but why did you guys rip on him? Maybe he used to go there? And if so, what's wrong with him cheering for them? Now if he didn't, then I guess you could call him a frontrunner...my point is that you don't really know either way, and that sometimes you guys are too quick to throw that label on someone. Sure, OSU has some frontrunners. So does Akron...do you really think all of those fans at the Motor City Bowl were around when things weren't so peachy? Also, if you really want someone to take notice of Akron and get them to start rooting for the Zips, the best way of doing that is not by attacking them. Think about it...if you were a fan of OSU and all of the Akron fans ripped into you for no reason, would that make you want to be a part of that group? Furthermore, as an "average fan" who could sway either way, would you want to be a part o the group that attacks and disrespects a fan of another team for no reason? If you really want people to jump aboard the Akron bandwagon, you really need to think about how you are perceived to others.
We let that guy be, no one said anything to him at the bar. He was the one that was being rude. He was obviously the only one wearing OSU clothes at the bar. The guys next to him had Akron stuff on. There was a big group of Akron people sitting behind him. The ratio had to be at least 25 to 3, way more Akron fans. And he started complaining when they put the sound up for the Akron game. He had a face like, "why the hell would anyone care about them."He would yell out of OSU did anything like run for 8 yards or make a tackle. Even when OSU was up 28 to something. I think he was doing it in spite of us Akron fans. He was by himself, and doing it by himself in an arrogant way.Why do we bring up OSU all the time???? Go look at Sunday's paper. Do you see that big thing of OSU on the top of the front page. Go look at the sports section, do you see that big OSU write up. I'm sick of seeing OSU dominate this area. I'm tired of it. I'm pissed about it. When someones pissed about something, they're going to stand up against it. That's what I'm doing. I'm making my stand against OSU in this city. You're only feeding the OSU positive attention in this area. I'm feeding the negative.The goal, to turn this area from Buckeye land into Zip land.There's no irony about me saying negative things and complaining about OSU. If I have ever complained about OSU, I saw something to spark it. I'm standing up against it. I have nothing wrong with anyone rooting for OSU if they actually go there, are alumni, or have a child that goes there. But when someones lived in Akron all of their life, and thinks OSU is the only team around, that's a problem.It's time to change this areas attitude. This is Zip Land.

Mark can focus on trying to bring Jason down, rather than trying to bring himself up. He can badmouth Jason. He can ridicule the things he does and the accomplishments he has had. He can call the people who like and respect Jason idiots, and boast that if they support Jason, that they can't support him as well. He can complain about the attention Jason gets, and bitch about how all of the best girls go to Jason and not him. He can "wage war" on Jason, although Jason didn't really do anything wrong...unless working your way to the top is considered wrong these days.
Sounds like most of the politicians during election season :wave::gun::screwks:

Just a simple question I have to ask. Does anyone happen to know where Antonio Pittman, Chris Wells, Ted Ginn, Troy Smith, and Anthony Gonzalez are from? Sounds to me like we compete with OSU for recruites more than we think. By getting any three of just the 5 guys I listed, we would definately compete for, (and most likely win) the MAC championship with ease.Now crone...bobby...why don't you respond to my questions that I asked you following my story? I'm very interested to hear your responses.
You're simply not going to get those guys at this point in time if you're Akron. Chris Wells was considered by many to be the top senior prospect last year...he had his pick of ANY college basically. Now put your own personal ties to the side for a second. You are Chris Wells...you can go anywhere you want. You want to compete for a National Title and make it to the pros when you're done playing college ball. Are you going to go to Akron or OSU? Honestly? Someone posted a link to an article written about J.D. Brookhart that I really wish I could find right now. Basically JD said that OSU gets whoever they want, and then he gets the best of the rest. If JD Brookhart can understand how it works, why can't others? Until the Zips win multiple conference titles, get ranked, and become an elite team, they aren't going to touch recruits like Wells, Ginn, etc.

Mark can focus on trying to bring Jason down, rather than trying to bring himself up. He can badmouth Jason. He can ridicule the things he does and the accomplishments he has had. He can call the people who like and respect Jason idiots, and boast that if they support Jason, that they can't support him as well. He can complain about the attention Jason gets, and bitch about how all of the best girls go to Jason and not him. He can "wage war" on Jason, although Jason didn't really do anything wrong...unless working your way to the top is considered wrong these days.
Sounds like most of the politicians during election season :wave::gun::screwks:
Well at least someone gets my point...now if only a few others can see the connection :thumb:

Someone posted a link to an article written about J.D. Brookhart that I really wish I could find right now. Basically JD said that OSU gets whoever they want, and then he gets the best of the rest. If JD Brookhart can understand how it works, why can't others? Until the Zips win multiple conference titles, get ranked, and become an elite team, they aren't going to touch recruits like Wells, Ginn, etc.
Do you think he's happy about this?? Do you think he doesn't want this to change?? He's pretty much saying, "OSU is in our way of getting the top recruits around here, so we have to go for the 2nd best." Do you see the point he's trying to make??? OSU is in our way!!!! and it's time to confront them and tell them we mean business. We're not going to let them belittle us. We're not going to let them own this market. Take a stand

I have tried to stay out of this thread, as I refuse to get into this stuff.However, I follow recruiting very closely not just for Akron, but for the major players out there. OSU does not, I repeat does not compete with Akron for recruits, except for rare occasions. Akron has 2 players, that I know of, on their roster that OSU wanted. Carlton Jackson, and Dennis Kennedy. Neither of them made the grades to play for OSU. This is something I know as a fact. If you ask either of these guys, they wanted to be Buckeyes. I am not saying they aren't happy at Akron, I am just saying they wanted to be Buckeyes. OSU competes with Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, USC, the Florida Schools, Oklahome, Tennesee,etc.When I say compete, I don't mean they have the guy listed with interest at Scout or Rivals. I mean actually having offers. Each team is allowed to offer so many scholarships, and have so many official visits. The bigger schools sare very selective of who they offer and invite for official visits.Sure, Akron will offer guys that OSU offered, but very rarely will you see someone offered by OSU choose Akron. If they are offered by OSU, they are probably receiving a lot of high profile offers. These guys will not choose Akron. I wish they did, but they won't.OSU doesn't get all of the best players in the state. Many, many go out of state to other major programs. They aren't signing with MAC teams.I look at so many guys that go to the big schools, and think wow, if they would have come to Akron they would be starting. Meanwhile they are sitting on the bench somewhere else never being given the chance.I would love to see a time where a bunch of recruits get together from N.E. Ohio and say we are all going to Akron. Let's put them on the map. Get s couple great recruiting classes in a row, then you start winning, then you keep getting better recruits, and it is a domino affect.Unfortunately, the only top rated players that sign with Akron, aren't offered by the other schools becaue of academics. The bigger schools don't take as many at risk students as Akron will. Just look at this past recrutiing class. The only top player in the class to qualify was Harvey. Stoudemire, Smith, Boone, Henderson, Jackson, the biggest names didn't qualify. If they had the grades, they probably would have been offered by the bigger schools. Sad but true.I am an Akron grad, and I grew up in Akron,. To me, I would have loved to play for my hometown team. However, most high school kids don't have an allegiance like that unless it is to the team on TV every week. That is OSU. If you don't have a favorite, and have a choice of playing int he piece of crap Rubber Bowl in front of 15000 people, or Ohio stadium in front of over 100,000 people, where would you go?I know the homers will think I am full of crap. So go to scout.com or rivals.com and look at top rated players, and offers. Look for players just from Ohio. Their are tons that OSU didn't offer, but they will be going to other major programs. They won't look at Akron at all. It is very depressing, but it is fact.Remember Miami, FL was nothing until the mid 80's when Schnellenberger became coach and started turning them around.