Game 5—Ohio Bobcats (Homecoming)

LZIp

We beat ourselves more than anything. Vick is pretty good and efficient. The only reason we had a chance in this game was due to him getting hurt. Marcus is an animal, but guy needs to cut it out with the penalties I was in favor of taking the FG at the end. It was 4th and 9 and the chance of converting that is slim. Take the points and give yourself a chance to win with a FG at the end. The defense came through, the offense didn't (go figure).

The unsportsmanlike at the end by the assistant coach was just the cherry on the top. The coaches need to lead from the top down. Probably explains why we are so penalized.

Did any of you actually watch the game? Both facemask penalties in the 1st half were complete BS. The bench penalty came after some choice words directed at the ref missing Wolf getting dragged around at the end.

The facemask on Cheek was certainly a facemask (although it could have easily been called on the OU player as well). I couldn't tell on Marcus' play. I didn't see a good angle. And the play at the end was intended for Pratt, not Wolf.

We got out schemed the first 2 series of the game by their offensive coaches, but besides that the defense was dominate. The offense was terrible. We couldn't sustain a drive and the play calling was extremely questionable. We never leaned on the running game enough. Woodson was terribly inaccurate and indecisive.

Zipgrad....Hard to lean on a running game that only had 88 yards in 35 carries. That was really the story. We were forced to pass a lot, and were missing the mark.

I really thought we just tried for too many big pass plays today. It worked last week, but not this week. The underneath stuff may have been a better focus.

Hard to tell. Just not enough Offense, period.

Zipgrad....Hard to lean on a running game that only had 88 yards in 35 carries. That was really the story. We were forced to pass a lot, and were missing the mark.

I really thought we just tried for too many big pass plays today. It worked last week, but not this week. The underneath stuff may have been a better focus.

Hard to tell. Just not enough Offense, period.

Sacks are included in rushing numbers and Woodson took some bad ones!! We also ran quite a few bullshit "trick" running plays with Davis, etc.. That did nothing.

And to your point, when we ran we were typically in obvious running situations. The offense wasn't very creative.

As for throwing the underneath stuff...that was open quite a bit, but Woodson was terribly inaccurate. We missed a lot of 10-15 yard slants that were wide open, but we threw behind or too high.

Not sure why Pohl wasn't used. I believe He's deserved the nod from game 1 play 1 but for some reason they do not want him in there.

I wonder how his confidence is anyway because of the way the season has gone. I would say it's low. I know Pohl got hurt in the Pitt game but he still should have been the QB in there from the beginning.

Woodson made some great passes today but missed a few wide open guys too. Need more consistency. He was under 50% passing completion two weeks in a row now. Seems to be Telegraphing passes a little bit.

That Holding penalty in the red zone after the first down pass to their 6 killed us. Could have been the game changer.

The lack of discipline penalties we suffered have to be reduced.

We got out schemed the first 2 series of the game by their offensive coaches, but besides that the defense was dominate. The offense was terrible. We couldn't sustain a drive and the play calling was extremely questionable. We never leaned on the running game enough. Woodson was terribly inaccurate and indecisive.

If you wanted an example of how good coaching can make a difference in a close game,you saw it today. Solich and his staff were better prepared in pre-game planning,in game defensive and offensive play calling and having the right personnel on the field at the right time. Solich made 2 TD's stand up and Bowden couldn't figure out a way to put his guys in the right circumstances to score even one TD. Don't blame Woodson. The coaches put the offense in poor circumstances especially with early play calling and a couple of puzzling decisions in the second half. Bowden wouldn't run the ball in the first half. We were remarking that OU was pretty much playing that 2 deep zone with their CB's one on one and letting the LB's react pass or run. Until Akron finally put Hundley in the backfield OU didn't have to compensate for the run. Their LB's were taking care of Woodson when he ran. Remember,Woodson is essentially a first year QB as far as any consistent playing time. Pohl is not a viable option this late in Bowden's tenure. Let Woodson play unless he gets hurt. Akron is not going to win the division now. They are not going to climb over BGSU and OU even though they drew two of the lesser western division teams. Unless these guys figure out a way to go 5-3 in the MAC there could be some interesting decisions coming at the end of the season.

This game was decided by the Play that was called back when we were First and goal was the backbreaker. I honestly beleive that the Zips would have punched it in, if given the chance. This is a type of game where "Winning Ulgy" builds caratcher would have done so many things.

All the Flags at the worst times decided this game, not poor play. Every Team at any level needs the Meat Grinder at least once to see where you are at and where you are going.

Remember: Poverty(in the Football relam), builds Carcather.

We will be fine and the MAC East is a goal right now. Just win out.

• Like 1

If you wanted an example of how good coaching can make a difference in a close game,you saw it today. Solich and his staff were better prepared in pre-game planning,in game defensive and offensive play calling and having the right personnel on the field at the right time. Solich made 2 TD's stand up and Bowden couldn't figure out a way to put his guys in the right circumstances to score even one TD. Don't blame Woodson. The coaches put the offense in poor circumstances especially with early play calling and a couple of puzzling decisions in the second half. Bowden wouldn't run the ball in the first half. We were remarking that OU was pretty much playing that 2 deep zone with their CB's one on one and letting the LB's react pass or run. Until Akron finally put Hundley in the backfield OU didn't have to compensate for the run. Their LB's were taking care of Woodson when he ran. Remember,Woodson is essentially a first year QB as far as any consistent playing time. Pohl is not a viable option this late in Bowden's tenure. Let Woodson play unless he gets hurt. Akron is not going to win the division now. They are not going to climb over BGSU and OU even though they drew two of the lesser western division teams. Unless these guys figure out a way to go 5-3 in the MAC there could be some interesting decisions coming at the end of the season.

Oh, I am only partially blaming Woodson. He made some poor throws and poor decisions, but the blame falls at the feet of the coaches. It is amazing how our staff gets out coached in almost every MAC game.

Oh, I am only partially blaming Woodson. He made some poor throws and poor decisions, but the blame falls at the feet of the coaches. It is amazing how our staff gets out coached in almost every MAC game.

You can't blame Woodson and you sure as Hell can't blame Bowden either.

Everyone knows it's Ianello's fault.

The ole cliche "we need to learn how to win" might be fitting here

There was no confidence or momentum from the offense when the defense stood up and got the ball back. Should have called the TO on fourth down (IMO)

But the games over, no doubt we let an important one get away.

I have a few thoughts on this. First of all, I watched it on ESPN 3, so I saw it from different angles than those at the Stadium:

First of all, I am happy to report we can in fact compete in the MAC. Of course, we need to win, but at least I think the days of being totally blown out are over.

I disagree with the FG call. The NY Giants made the same decision a few weeks ago and it also cost them the game. Go on 4th, worst case you leave them backed up against the goat line and have a chance to get good field position. The FG did not put us in the lead, so you still needed another score no matter what, with almost no time on the clock at least that is my opinion.

The Zips last play of the game was as obvious pass interference as I have ever seen. On the replay it was clear he tackled him while the ball was in the air. The game announcers on CNN said: "There are just so many interference flags in a game, and they weren't going to throw one at this point".

WHAT????