Game 5—Ohio Bobcats (Homecoming)

LZIp

Alright all, the win over Louisiana (only calling them that because of the posters who stopped by) was awesome and a great confidence builder heading into conference play. Its homecoming weekend and a chance for our program to shut up some of the critics. I don't know a whole lot about Ohio besides that they look better than last year. They were screwed out of a chance to beat Minnesota and come into this game 4-0. From highlights, Vick looks improved as well.

IIRC, Woodson didnt look too hot down in Athens last year, but he seems to be a changed man. I'm tired of losing to OU and it would really be a huge monkey to get off of our backs (and a big conference win nonetheless).

Keener, if I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to stop by for some tailgating ;)

Last season, Woodson literally threw the game away with a bunch of bad turnovers. Hopefully this year is different. No reason not to feel confident.

Wrong game - I believe you're thinking about Ball St. TW13 threw 2 INTs against OU, but also has 2 nice TDs. It was Pratt's fumble that killed the Zips.

• Like 1

Alright all, the win over Louisiana (only calling them that because of the posters who stopped by) was awesome and a great confidence builder heading into conference play. Its homecoming weekend and a chance for our program to shut up some of the critics. I don't know a whole lot about Ohio besides that they look better than last year. They were screwed out of a chance to beat Minnesota and come into this game 4-0. From highlights, Vick looks improved as well.

IIRC, Woodson didnt look too hot down in Athens last year, but he seems to be a changed man. I'm tired of losing to OU and it would really be a huge monkey to get off of our backs (and a big conference win nonetheless).

Keener, if I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to stop by for some tailgating ;)

IMHO, this game Last Year is where the season Changed. As you might remember, Woodson(if I remember correctly) had a bad, bad Interception right before Halftime and from that point on, the Season was all downhill from there.

This game concerns me because of of something that nobody is talking about: Tape.

Last week, there was no tape on Woodson for an extended period of time this Season and now there is.

Will Ohio plan for this? Will Ohio be overlooking them, even if this is the First MAC East Game?

Will the Zips just thrown their helmets down and expect to win the game by doing nothing?

These are questions I am asking......

The Bobcats are favored to beat the Zips this week. Put it on the bulletin board coach!

What to watch for:

From the Hustle Belt Minnesota Wrap Up: Ohio completed game action with 345 yards of offense against a team that has gained attention for its defensive prowess this season. The Golden Gophers ended the game with 468 yards of offense. Ohio made plays with the ball from the get-go, picking up the first down on seven of its first 11 tries on third down, but was only 1-5 in that same category to end the game.

OU quarterback finished 17/27 for 194 yards despite playing with an ankle injury.

One has to wonder if Vick's injury will carry over to this Saturday, and if the Zips will pressure him accordingly.

Wow, how about the info dropped in the subtitle alone:

The Zips hadn't won by more than 20 points on the road in over a decade before beating Louisiana 35-14 on Saturday. That's a good sign for the future.

Since the 2002 win over Can't was a conference game, and of course against a pretty poor foe at that (LO had it made in those wagon wheel years), it got me to wondering when was the last time the Zips won a NON-conference game on the road by more than 20 points. Well it's only happened twice in their D-1A/FBS history. The first time was in 1990, once again when then whipped their Portage County rivals by 38-10. The Zips were not yet in the MAC, so all D1-A opponents were non-conference at the time. The other time was in 1993 when UA went to old Veterans Stadium (I still recall Frenchy harping about the seams in the Astroturf) and beat the Temple Owls by 31-7. So yeah this win over the Cajuns was nearly unprecedented.

• Like 2

OU had a really tough, physical game last week. Vick hurt his ankle and was hobbled the entire game. He's a tough kid, but if his mobility is limited the Zips defense will make his life miserable Saturday.

Conversely, the Zips were able to pull their starters in the 4th quarter. We should be fresh. Coe is the one injury that's most-concerning, but other than that we're in great shape.

Bobcat Attack Site

And to those Bobcat fans perusing our site: You guys got dicked big-time on the delay of game call at the end of last week's game. Your defense let you down at the end, but I've watch football for 4+ decades and I've never seen a delay of game called in that last-second FG scenario.

Coach Bowden's weekly phone conference.

http://www.mac-sports.com/custompages/teleconferences/92815FB/Bowden92815.mp3

Highlights from the call:

What makes Tommy better?

Experience. With not much focus on Tommy, he rose to the occasion. He went from 258 to 228 in 6 months. He needs to continue to work hard.

What challenge does OU give?

They are winners. They have a culture of winning, and are very close to being undefeated.

------------------------------------------

Stats about OU from Go Zips dot com:

The Bobcats are ranked 8th in the nation in turnover margin

16th in passing efficiency (164.73)

22nd in red zone offense

WR Brendan Cope is 5th at 27 yards per reception

Quentin Poling is 9th in forced fumbles

Derrius Vick is 11th in passing efficiency, 16th in yard per completion, and 22nd in completion percentage

Non-Conference:

These two immediately came to mind, but I checked and they were not by 20 points....barely.

We beat Syracuse by 14 on the road in 2008

We beat Army by 19 on the road in 2008 also.

They were certainly both nice wins Skip (I made it to Syracuse so that was particularly pleasing), but unfortunately, as previously documented on ZnO, we couldn't pull off the Empire State Triumvirate that year.

• Like 1

Wow JohnnyZip....I had completely forgotten that all of those games against the NY teams were the same year.

That mega-overtime final game at the Rubber Bowl against Buffalo will never be forgotten. I think the Old Bowl was not ready to give up the Zips.

I'm glad you got to go to Syracuse for that game. That's one road game that I am sorry I missed, along with the win at NC State. Fortunately, I didn't miss the Pitt game last year.

• Like 1