Offseason News & Updates 2015

I would not expect Noah to be ready to play until after the season starts. I really think McAdams is ready for a breakout season. As far as the 3 freshmen forwards go, Utomi seems to pass the eyeball test so far. I would expect the depth chart to look like this at the beginning of the season. Until the real practices start it's hard to tell.

Forsythe / Johnson

Cheatam / JacksonJr

Ketzer / Utomi

McAdams / Ivey

Jackson / Williams

Robothom IR, Agba and Olojapoke RS

If Kwan matures and steps up this could be a very good year. He is, in some ways, the key. At 6'9" he is one of the bigger players in the MAC, and one of the few big men who can hit 3's fairly well. But he needs more of an inside presence, which combined with Pat/Big Dog could make for a very exciting year.

For those of you who've attended an open gym or two, in eyeballing the new guys, how tall would you say Utomi, Olojakpoke & Agba are now?

Also, what position is Olojakpoke? Is he a PF or more of a wing?

I'm assuming Utomi is a wing & Agba a PF.

It is way too early to assign a position to any of the three.

For the time being just pencil them in as 3-4 combo players. They range in height

from six-six to six-eight and likely to grow at least an inch each.

Due to having two great seniors in Reggie and Jake the freshman playing time

is likely to be limited. Most likely one or two of them will be red-shirted.

A year of physical growth and maturation will allow a much better assessment

of their skills. Right now they are big, raw, athletes. And, fun to watch.

• Like 1

Player positions listed on the official Zips roster have been fairly accurate over the last few years as to actual game roles. For example, Kwan is the only Zips returning player listed as a pure forward (F) while Jake and Reggie are listed as pure wings (W). Before he left, BJ was listed on last season's roster as a combo wing/forward (W/F).

Looking at the three Nigerian freshmen, Peter and Emmanuel are both listed as F while Daniel is identified as W/F. That tells me that if they were all playing right now Peter and Emmanuel would be more likely to play close to the paint, taking advantage of their rebounding and blocking abilities. In addition to being a good rebounder in HS, Daniel was also a 46% 3-point shooter, so he would be the most likely of the three to spend time further out at the wing. But GoZips makes a good point that they're all capable of playing the 3/4 depending on the Zips' needs and how they develop.

How about another player profile? This board & Zips fans need a bit of good news.

Sorry. Been busy.

Had a conversation with Noah Robotham the other day. He is now five months into his re-hab.

Noah says he will be ready to play at the season opener. He looks to be in pretty decent shape

all things considered. He shot a few and was on target.

With Noah, Antino and now Josh Williams the Zips have a trio of excellent point guards that

play the two just as well. Add in six-eight Aaron Jackson as a two and the mix gets interesting.

Jimond Ivey may well see plenty of playing time as the two, as well.

This just might be the best season the Zips have had in years. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The players are in the best early season shape of the Dambrot era.

Strength coach Tim Campbell has been busting their collective asses

with a lot of running (both sprints and distance), frequent visits to the

weight room.

Steve French (the Zips radio voice) stopped by. He did not recognize

Antino (Bull) Jackson. The little Bull has developed that much.

The Freshmen are learning the college game. All are fighting to avoid

the dreaded red shirt. At least two are likely to be red shirted. A case of

needed development and saving their playing time for when they will

be more productive.

One true Freshman does not need to worry about being red shirted.

St.V-St.M product Josh Williams already has shown he belongs in the rotation.

Josh may even see some starts.

Think of having three combo guards who can play the point, shoot and

defend all in the line up. Not only intriguing, but extremely difficult to

defend.

A guest at a recent "open gym" was none other than prodigal son Nick Harney.

Just have to love a former Zip who still wears a "for PETE's sake" wrist band.

Nick has upcoming try outs with at least two NBA teams (Dallas and Milwaukee).

Barring injuries or self inflicted stupid, the Zips will have a banner (NCAA) year.

Like many ZN members have done for years, EA of the PD questions KD's rotation.

"Late last season a slimmed down rotation proved key for a late turnaround. Will that continue in 2015-2016?"

Other points he makes:

• For all the drama surrounding the program in recent years, the Zips have to avoid any sort of major disruption over the course of the season

• Pat Forsythe is arguably the best center in the league and the best 'potential' pro talent

• Noah Robotham and Antino Jackson will form one of the most dynamic backcourts in the MAC this season

Like many ZN members have been writing for years....While the vision is on a NCAA Tournament berth, even a NIT slot should be embraced by the Zips with the intent on making their presence felt no matter where they land.

• Like 1

Like many ZN members have done for years, EA of the PD questions KD's rotation.

That is a good question from EA's article.

2. Dambrot has traditionally shared the wealth on his deep teams, playing a lot of players big minutes. While the value of that showed in Jackson's emergence last season after Robotham was injured, the down side was Reggie McAdams and Pat Forsytheperhaps not getting as much time to flourish as they could. Late last season a slimmed-down rotation prompted a surge. Will that continue?

Seems like a bit of a pickle?

LeBron Resurrects Akron's Program

(click link for entire article) --By Joe Vardon, Northeast Ohio Media Group

"He's coaching me now," Dambrot told the Northeast Ohio Media Group. "I'm smart enough to ask him, because, like, he's a brilliant guy. So I ask him what he thought was some of the best ways to attack that. James spent nearly 30 minutes chatting with Dambrot and his assistants off to the side of Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"He's resurrected our program (at Akron), and then obviously what he's done with the Cavaliers," Dambrot said. "He's just got a knack."James did not attend college and has close relationships with multiple collegiate athletic programs. But his presence around Dambrot's program is apparent.

"The connection with LeBron allows us to get players we wouldn't normally get," Dambrot said. "Just the presence of him in this community has helped our program become a top-level, major program.

18916684-large.jpg

For the entire contract, click here.

nikecontract.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone still have any questions on whether LeBron has any impact on the program?

LeBron Resurrects Akron's Program

(click link for entire article) --By Joe Vardon, Northeast Ohio Media Group

"He's coaching me now," Dambrot told the Northeast Ohio Media Group. "I'm smart enough to ask him, because, like, he's a brilliant guy. So I ask him what he thought was some of the best ways to attack that. James spent nearly 30 minutes chatting with Dambrot and his assistants off to the side of Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"He's resurrected our program (at Akron), and then obviously what he's done with the Cavaliers," Dambrot said. "He's just got a knack."James did not attend college and has close relationships with multiple collegiate athletic programs. But his presence around Dambrot's program is apparent.

"The connection with LeBron allows us to get players we wouldn't normally get," Dambrot said. "Just the presence of him in this community has helped our program become a top-level, major program.

18916684-large.jpg

For the entire contract, click here.

nikecontract.jpg

• Like 1

I got an email today about season tickets include a season parking past to Lot 1 (East Campus Parking Deck). Are they going to start charging to park for basketball games?

This won't effect me cost wise because I am a season ticket holder but might deter others from coming. I hope that isn't the case. Also, it will slow the traffic getting into the deck as well.