Offseason News & Updates 2015

Yesterday I reported that we had the pleasure of a visit from former Akron player Brian Walsh.

Today we had the good fortune of Romeo Travis. Rome is a good friend and a pleasure to

get one of his bear hugs. Man oh man has he grown. I would put Rome at six-nine plus.

Rome was accompanied by another former St.V-St. M standout ... LeBron James.

Romeo has recently returned from a stint playing in the Philippines. He really enjoyed

Manila. He hopes to return to play in the islands again.

The Zips put on a spirited scrimmage for their visitors. You are going to enjoy this season.

I can't wait to see a lean 295 pounder.

Then there’s Johnson, who may be the linchpin to the Zips’ potential success. “He’s practiced harder than he has previously,” Dambrot said of the 6-10, 295-pound Johnson, who is lean and looks more muscular than a season ago. “Now, if things don’t go well for him that will be the key, but he’s done a pretty good job so far.”

Z360 previews some basketball

https://youtu.be/4bmQGYadvKQ?t=290

KD: We have been trying to simplify the offense (I have been suggestion this for years, happy to finally hear it)

KD: We have been fooling around with getting two big guys in the game

Jake Kretzer: I have been working on getting to the rim more

Sounds like Dambrot has a goal of winning 25 games from his comment at the end.

“It’s hard to see yet because we’re mauling each other every day,” he said. “We haven’t made any adjustments. We talked a little bit more about keeping hands off. Other than that, we’ve spent very little time. Thirty seconds to me — we fling it up so fast it’s not going to matter. So we’ll see as it goes how it all plays out.”

One thing to expect, Dambrot said, is more fouls to be called.

“They’re going to call them from Game 1 to the end of the season,” he said. “I know that to be the truth, so we’re going to have to do a good job making sure we don’t foul because that is the great equalizer in the game.”

Oh Joy. Just what the fans have been clamoring for.

• Like 1

“It’s hard to see yet because we’re mauling each other every day,” he said. “We haven’t made any adjustments. We talked a little bit more about keeping hands off. Other than that, we’ve spent very little time. Thirty seconds to me — we fling it up so fast it’s not going to matter. So we’ll see as it goes how it all plays out.”

One thing to expect, Dambrot said, is more fouls to be called.

“They’re going to call them from Game 1 to the end of the season,” he said. “I know that to be the truth, so we’re going to have to do a good job making sure we don’t foul because that is the great equalizer in the game.”

Oh Joy. Just what the fans have been clamoring for.

I'd expect it to revert back to what is was 2 seasons ago. Thats when the foul changes first went into affect and everybody had a problem with it. It seemed like last year, the refs let a lot more go.

If DiG were still around, maybe he could provide a comparison between the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons.

Put an emphasis on making free throws. Beat em at the line.

Put an emphasis on making free throws. Beat em at the line.

Historically, not exactly the recipe for success for Akron (hence KD's equalizer comment). Though this team could be above average, if they get there enough to make a difference.

Overall,like Zippy5 said, yay, more FTs. Isn't that what this rules committee was trying to eliminate?

I may start a Free Throw Thread once the season begins. It will be NBFT, 24/7 (Nuthin' But Free Throws). We can discuss individual FT techniques, tendencies, righties vs. lefties, calculating the ideal number of bounces before a shot... even the controversial topic of Lane Violations is fair game.

If free throws are going to increase, we need to embrace it.

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

Not sure where to put this, but I'll throw it here. Is anyone looking to get rid of their Hiram exhibition tickets? I'm looking at taking my 2yr old to his first game and I'd like it to be a "quiet" one. First time in about 10 years I won't have my season tickets. Please send me a PM if you have extras and/or don't plan on going.

Edited by RowdyZip

If more fouls are going to be called, I can't say that I like that for more than just the reason that the games might be longer.

1) He have not been a great free throw shooting team in recent years. Unless, maybe Jake is ready to play 30+ minutes per game this year. That might be the only thing that would make the numbers come out better with the guys we expect to have on the floor this year.

2) We emphasize defensive intensity. That's not usually a good combination with an officiating crew that might be more inclined to call fouls.

Not sure where to put this, but I'll throw it here. Is anyone looking to get rid of their Hiram exhibition tickets? I'm looking at taking my 2yr old to his first game and I'd like it to be a "quiet" one. First time in about 10 years I won't have my season tickets. Please send me a PM if you have extras and/or don't plan on going.

Hiram isn't an exhibition game.