Tommy Woodson

Blue & Gold

Nice article by GT in today's ABJ.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/ua-football-thomas-woodson-has-stabilized-quarterback-position-for-zips-1.628138

Concerning the vanilla play calling against Oklahoma & Pitt, coach Bowden said: “Maybe I can take the blame for not trying to open it up more against Oklahoma and Pitt. We were just moving through our schedule, doing the things we thought were best at the time we played everybody we played.”

I like the fact Bowden is taking the heat for the lackluster offensive performances against Oklahoma and Pitt, but I've really got to assume the play calling was so vanilla simply because they didn't feel Tra'Von Chapman could execute most of the playbook.

I love the fact we're going back to more of the spread with Tommy. Spread the defense out with Tommy & let Connor Hundley be the north-south hammer that he is. Good recipe.

Concerning the vanilla play calling against Oklahoma & Pitt, coach Bowden said: “Maybe I can take the blame for not trying to open it up more against Oklahoma and Pitt. We were just moving through our schedule, doing the things we thought were best at the time we played everybody we played.”

The quote comes from the press conference, that was posted here yesterday.

Here's an article from the PD by EA, Tommy Woodson Turns Akron's Season Around.

Here are Tommy's stats, game by game.

Tommy is rated 149th in passer efficiency right now. Keep in mind he has only started one game though.

BTW, BG's QB is rated number one the country in yards...playing against Tennessee and Purdue.

OK article, but you'd think GT would know that Woodson has only started one game, not two, which he says in both of the first two pararaphs. Good grief. The guy covered all 4 games.

Along those same lines, you would like to think that EA would know that the Zips were 4-2 last year when they traveled to Athens not 3-1.

Knowing that Bowden had Woodson as the #3 QB on the depth chart at the start because he has not been able to recruit a QB he 'likes' in 4 years should make everyone wonder.

Lets just say this,if Akron doesn't play mistake free ,that means penalties,fumbles,picks,Solich will again beat Bowden. This is THE statement opportunity for this program under Bowden.

Too bad the weather will be shitty and no Akron fans will be there.

Knowing that Bowden had Woodson as the #3 QB on the depth chart at the start because he has not been able to recruit a QB he 'likes' in 4 years should make everyone wonder.

What utter nonsense. Woodson deserved to be #3 after a lackluster performance last year and showing up fir spring ball 30 lbs overweight. It had little to do with whether TB liked him or not. Tommy's athleticism was never in question, his decision-making was in question. If the last 2 games were any indications, it appears that Tommy has worked hard to be where he needs to be to start as QB.

Lee, how many 1A QB's have you recruited? Any idea how hard it is to get Hugh quality QB to come to Akron where the line has been lackluster, the record poor, and fan attendance pitiful? Tommy was a great get from a top notch program in the WPIAL. Chapman was a very good get and may also prove to be valuable as he matures.

It is so ridiculous to listen to someone who knows NOTHING about the recruiting process berate a top notch coach.

• Like 3

What utter nonsense. Woodson deserved to be #3 after a lackluster performance last year and showing up fir spring ball 30 lbs overweight. It had little to do with whether TB liked him or not. Tommy's athleticism was never in question, his decision-making was in question. If the last 2 games were any indications, it appears that Tommy has worked hard to be where he needs to be to start as QB.

Lee, how many 1A QB's have you recruited? Any idea how hard it is to get Hugh quality QB to come to Akron where the line has been lackluster, the record poor, and fan attendance pitiful? Tommy was a great get from a top notch program in the WPIAL. Chapman was a very good get and may also prove to be valuable as he matures.

It is so ridiculous to listen to someone who knows NOTHING about the recruiting process berate a top notch coach.

You have recruited how many? Please enlighten. Decent players tend to learn from mistakes. Maybe Woodson will learn maybe not. He certainly has not had enough playing time to make that determination. But I don't think he was dismissed from a DI program for bad behavior either. I could have missed that however.

And, after 4 years apparently Bowden 'a top notch coach' has not been able to recruit a decent DI QB to Akron either. Or at least we apparently have not been introduced to him yet. By the way whomever you are,you don't have to 'listen' to me. And you certainly don't need to personally attack anyone on this board. Just say you disagree and state why.

You have recruited how many? Please enlighten. Decent players tend to learn from mistakes. Maybe Woodson will learn maybe not. He certainly has not had enough playing time to make that determination. But I don't think he was dismissed from a DI program for bad behavior either. I could have missed that however.

And, after 4 years apparently Bowden 'a top notch coach' has not been able to recruit a decent DI QB to Akron either. Or at least we apparently have not been introduced to him yet. By the way whomever you are,you don't have to 'listen' to me. And you certainly don't need to personally attack anyone on this board. Just say you disagree and state why.

No personal attacks, just poi ting out that you arrogantly berate a good coach and you obviously know nothing of football or recruiting.

No personal attacks, just poi ting out that you arrogantly berate a good coach and you obviously know nothing of football or recruiting.

Obviously you did 'berate". I am certain Bowden the attorney doesn't need you or anyone else on this site to 'defend' him. He can certainly and necessarily can do that himself. And,again you have recruited how many DI QB's? And whomever you are, who is the starting QB in 2016? And is that person on the roster? I did not berate Bowden. I just do not have the same OPINION of his performance after 4 seasons that you do. Thats fair. Ad hominem attacks usually indicate lack of substance. But thanks for 'poi ting' out our differences. See you on 10-31.

Criticizing Bowden is not blasphemy, although his disciples may think otherwise. Lee Adams is one of the few competent football posters left on this board and to suggest that he is a know-nothing is preposterous. I shudder to think what this board will become once the zealots succeed in driving all the non kool-aid drinkers away.

• Like 1

I appreciate the viewpoints of Lee Adams and Keener'92 along with the viewpoints of others who disagree with them. I agree that criticizing Coach Bowden is not blasphemy any more than supporting Coach Bowden makes one a "disciple." There's no need for those who believe on balance that Coach Bowden is doing either a good or bad job at UA to take potshots at each other that are irrelevant to a reasonable discussion. I can't speak for others, but I pay the most attention to those who make intelligent points without questioning the intelligence of those who present thoughtful counterpoints.

• Like 2

"Knowing that Bowden had Woodson as the #3 QB on the depth chart at the start because he has not been able to recruit a QB he 'likes' in 4 years should make everyone wonder."

Sorry, there is absolutely nothing legitimate in the above statement. Take a look at the major programs struggling to identify their starting QB this year - OSU and Auburn, just to name 2.

Call it Kool-Aid drinking if you want, but in reality it is just common sense. Woodson was a good recruit and Chapman was a 4 star recruit. Not too shabby on paper. It's way too early to write off either one.

Call them potshots, but I personally don't see anything credible in the original statement. Sounds like a bitte3r tguy who thinks he knows more than he does.

• 2 months later...

Me too. He seems like a great leader.

If he can only get a little more "touch" on the ball, there's no stopping the kid.

He also seems pretty humble. He was overcome with emotion at the end of the Potato Bowl,, and we won the darn game. I'm really looking forward to watching TW13 for hopefully two more seasons. He also wears my favorite number :thumb:

• Like 1

One of the best decisions Bowden made this season was to stop the 'QB du jour' and name Woodson the starter,sink or swim. It not only gave Woodson confidence to go out and play AND learn from his mistakes,but it gave the entire team confidence in not only Woodson but the coaching staff. We have to think Woodson will get better with more experience. Just give him a decent running game and another competent receiver,besides Lane. If so,he will be OK.