Tommy Woodson

Blue & Gold

I know this is the TW13 thread, but what happened to KP16? Did we see him at all this season? I was never high on KP16, and was vocal about it here on the forum, but there's got to be a story as to why he completely fell from the grace of coach Bowden. Or is it just as simple as KP16 didn't get it done for 2 seasons and the change was made?

As for backup next year. Do you guys think there will be a 5th year senior transfer next season brought in to push TW13 and take the backup role assuming TW13 stays focused? Or will Matt Hoyer, Caleb Chapman, Travon Chapman or Devyn Wood be up to the challenge? I'm also assuming that the incoming QB will likely be redshirted.

I know this is the TW13 thread, but what happened to KP16? Did we see him at all this season? I was never high on KP16, and was vocal about it here on the forum, but there's got to be a story as to why he completely fell from the grace of coach Bowden. Or is it just as simple as KP16 didn't get it done for 2 seasons and the change was made?

As for backup next year. Do you guys think there will be a 5th year senior transfer next season brought in to push TW13 and take the backup role assuming TW13 stays focused? Or will Matt Hoyer, Caleb Chapman, Travon Chapman or Devyn Wood be up to the challenge? I'm also assuming that the incoming QB will likely be redshirted.

I heard an interview with TB recently and he vaguely alluded to the fact that KP16 was not effective at running the ball. The QB run obviously a big part of the 2015 game plan. He also mentioned that T Chapman was very talented and can run like the wind he didn't go into a lot of detail but he indicated Chapman just wasn't ready. Tommy was ready when he had the chance.

As others have mentioned, TW13 was so emotionally invested into the bowl game that he was wrecked when it was over. He played his guts out a number of times this season and it seemed to transfer to his teammates.

I also noticed T Chapman cheering Tommy on a number of times throughout the season and with him at the end of the bowl game. Seems like a real team player, which is really nice to see. Hopefully something will work out for him.

• 5 weeks later...

Athlon Sports & Life is ranking Woodson the #58 QB of 2016. The 3nd highest ranked QB in the MAC behind NIU Drew Hare who lands at #44 and CMU Cooper Rush #22.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-pre-spring-1-128-starting-quarterback-rankings-2016

Edit: I incorrectly listed Woodson as #2 QB in the MAC when he is #3.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Woodson should have some pretty good weapons this year even with Pratt and Davis gone. Lane will be even better next year after getting a full offseason at the position. Jojo Natson will be a playmaker on offense, and I hope Milwee can get creative with him. I also hope we can utilize Chapman on offense at WR - does anyone know if that move is official? Mykel Traylor-Bennett is returning after missing all of last year. Hoping guys with talent like Josh McNeil and Anthony Young can step up. And we still have solid depth with Coney, Wolf, Means. What we really need is true starting RB and to replace essentially our whole OL, but that's a different story.

58 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Athlon Sports & Life is ranking Woodson the #58 QB of 2016. The 2nd highest ranked QB in the MAC behind only NIU Drew Hare who lands at #44.

If TW13 has an offseason like he did last year, he has the potential to significantly move up this list in 2017. He has the all tools, he just needs to keep his determination. 

Famous+Idaho+Potato+Bowl+Akron+v+Utah+St

CMU's Cooper Rush is listed at #22, so (on this list) TW13 would be third in the MAC. 

The Zips will face #20, Taylor Lamb of Appalachian State at Infocision on Sept 24.

39 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'd put him behind Zach Terrell of WMU, but fourth best returning quarterback is still really good. 

I agree. It will be interesting to see how he does next season without Davis and Braverman, though. Related to Dr. Z's post...why does it feel like Rush has been at CMU forever??

Edited by LZIp

I tried to post in the recruiting forum but was "forbidden."  We've had a few bugs due to the upgrade, so I just wanted to see if I could post in this forum.

Edit: Yep.  Mods may want to take a look at the Football Recruiting forum.

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I agree. It will be interesting to see how he does next season without Davis and Braverman, though. Related to Dr. Z's post...why does it feel like Rush has been at CMU forever??

Only Braverman has declared for the draft, It looks like Davis will still be there. They're my pick for West champion. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Sheriff Woody is a top QB on the rise for this year.

650x366

Thomas Woodson, Akron

Woodson is developing as a passer, but he accumulated 2,793 total yards and 20 overall scores last season. 

I see a few QBs on the list that the Zips D will be facing. Should be a fun year!

The offensive scheme reverting to some dadgum 2012-style Bowden Ball could allow Woody to put up some gaudy statistics.

Edited by K92

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Sheriff Woody is a top QB on the rise for this year.

Thomas Woodson, Akron

Woodson is developing as a passer, but he accumulated 2,793 total yards and 20 overall scores last season. 

I see a few QBs on the list that the Zips D will be facing. Should be a fun year!

Considering how much more we ran the ball last year, those are pretty good stats.

• 5 weeks later...

It is a strange article, to be honest. We are in an ideal situation. We have a returning proven winner and a back-up, who from all appearances, is playing games almost as well as the returning starter. Chapman seemed overwhelmed by the speed of the game last year. The opposite seemed true in spring ball. 

This is your typical off-season article stretching to find something I threshing to write about. The part about the offensive line, to me, demonstrated a fair lack of knowledge of the program and another article written based on stats and not really from having watched the Zips.

I guess I'm glad someone cared enough to write a June column on the Zips QB situation, regardless of the content.

I mentioned in my golf outing notes that the Zips staff felt Chapman had made some great strides and would see the field more often in 2016. He will. And if Woodson struggles, he'll sub in. But that's no different than any other #2 QB.

There is no doubt Chapman struggled against Oklahoma but they were obviously one of the best defenses in the nation.  Pitt was also quite good, much better than they were expected to be with the new QB.  Where Chapman failed was against Savanah St.  Remember that he started that game and the offense struggled into the second quarter.  The Zips were actually down before coach Bowden decided to bench Chapman and go to Woodson.  He would have gone to Pohl but if you recall he had another concussion the prior week against Pitt so he could not play. Chapman came back in the 4th quarter but his destiny the remainder of the year was as backup, same for Pohl when he returned from injury.  What surprised me about Chapman is how many chances he got.   He seemed to be a deer in the headlights most of the time he played.  Without pressure he did ok (4th quarter against Savanah St) but you got to get it done against Ohio and Bowling Green if you are going to go anywhere.  

From my perspective, last year is in the books but Pohl should have started against Oklahoma. He was the 5th year Senior and had run the team for much of the prior two seasons.  He was effective as a QB and had played well against big teams.  He had a few bad outings but also did not have the consistency of receivers catching the balls like he should have.  The O line gelling last year was also something Woodson would end up benefitting from that Pohl did not have much benefit from.  

The 5 game win streak was something very good but our offense played to the competition in that period playing well against good competition and down to the weak competition.  It was definitely the defense that pushed out team to the top.   Overall the result ended up good but it was nip and tuck all the way with games that have should have been convincing winners ending up being close.  Based on how we closed the season Woody should be the starter and I think he is that based on coach's comments.   

As for QB's behind them, who knows what is there as two have left, one let go and another taking a scholly at an FCS school like Dalton Easton did a few years before.  Anybody think the new QB coming in from South Florida have anything to offer?  I heard he was only like 175 lbs or so.  There may be one or two more to fill out the roster but I think we are thin underneath at QB now. 

• Like 1

I felt all along that Woodson had far more talent and physical ability than Pohl.  When his "smarts" in effectively running the offense finally caught up, I'm sure glad that the coaching staff recognized it soon enough to resurrect our season.  The Lafayette game had to be the game that solidified that status for the rest of the  year.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I felt all along that Woodson had far more talent and physical ability than Pohl.  When his "smarts" in effectively running the offense finally caught up, I'm sure glad that the coaching staff recognized it soon enough to resurrect our season.  The Lafayette game had to be the game that solidified that status for the rest of the  year.  

Agree. Better job being on field leader, too.

Pohll was never viable last year with the offense we ran. He couldn't run the ball well enough to be a threat and was too injury prone.

11 hours ago, ziptageous said:

As for QB's behind them, who knows what is there as two have left, one let go and another taking a scholly at an FCS school like Dalton Easton did a few years before.  Anybody think the new QB coming in from South Florida have anything to offer?  I heard he was only like 175 lbs or so.  There may be one or two more to fill out the roster but I think we are thin underneath at QB now. 

I think our QB situation is as good as, or better than anyone in the MAC.

Woodson has proven he's a legit starting MAC QB.

By all accounts, Chapman has had a great offseason and is ready to contribute in 2016.

Kato was the highest rated recruit in the 2016 class.

That's ok with me. I'm more concerned with linebackers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Woodson was named preseason fourth-team all mac for fans that like that sort of thing. I prefer that he quarterbacked the Zips to a bowl victory. I'm hoping for another one this year. 

BG loaded on the OL again. Hmm... seems like they have it figured out.

I sure hope our new OL coach is the second coming of Tank (or half as good) and that Brown can play as a true freshman, and that the apparent loss of the Kentucky transfer doesn't put a hole in the line, and that Gauthney pans out, despite never snapping the ball and making lines calls in a game. That's a lot of 'ands' and a lot hoping. The OL may be our Achilles heel for 2016. A split second more time to throw or a little larger crease to run through can make all the difference.  

Help! - we need a blue shirt or two. 

Edited by UA1987

I noticed that Josh McNeil is no longer on the roster. Very unfortunate, as he was technically the highest-rated player in our program coming out of high school and could have been a real weapon for Woodson this year if he had been able to put it together. We saw glimpses last year but nothing consistent.