The New Look Jar - Fresh Coat of Paint

Hilltopper

• 2 weeks later...

This gives me a much better idea of what it looks like. Thanks.

It looks like what they did was just paint the fronts of those stairs (or, the "risers", for those who understand building terminology), and left the tops (treads) alone. Probably a good idea, since the paint on those would wear over time.

Actually, that produces a pretty cool effect because it doesn't darken the entire arena, and the blue risers with the wood-toned treads gives you the something close to the Blue and Gold effect, without having to paint the gold.

I think this was a fantastic idea.

reveiwing some of Dr Scarboughs state of the U speech today, he gave a presentation on Marketing and capital campaign plans for October, november , and december. Item 2 was JAR phase 1 Capital Project. Does anyone know specifics here? Is that simply the new paint scheme or is there more to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Is that simply the new paint scheme or is there more to it?

There is quite a lot more to the upgrade than a coat of paint.

The current upper tier chair backs will be moved to the other side. New chair backs in the north

end to form a student section complete with a concession stand.

The west side will get new chair backs rising higher and covering half the track which will be

eliminated.

The center scoreboard will be replaced with a modern all graphic design. Two corners will get

data scoreboards with game statistics such as player stats. team stats, etc.

The south end will get the most attention. The south end will be gutted and replaced with an

extended Tommy Evans lounge with seating facing the court. Tommy Evans will get upgraded

food services and entry will be by large donation same as now.

At court level there will be an atrium that runs up through the new lounge. There will be chair

back seating. The expected capacity is approximately 5,000.

Some external face lifting will give the JAR more of an arena atmosphere.

Plans exist. I was given a thirty second tour of the plans so I may not be 100% accurate.

This modernization is a five to seven year stop gap to buy time for raising funds to build

a new ARENA.

Some external face lifting will give the JAR more of an arena atmosphere.

Hopefully that means replacing those orange bulbs with something. Or even nothing. Just remove them. Nothing worse than sodium lighting.

Also, about the students getting chairbacks, it won't happen. I don't care if that is the "plan" they told you. They won't give students chairbacks because they all end up broken. Just look at the seats behind the basket. Half the chairs are missing or damaged, and haven't been replaced for almost a decade. Maybe this is the new AD's idea, but reality will set in before the renovations are completed as he observes how the students in chairbacks behave during the season.

Just look at the seats behind the basket. Half the chairs are missing or damaged, and haven't been replaced for almost a decade. Maybe this is the new AD's idea, but reality will set in before the renovations are completed as he observes how the students in chairbacks behave during the season.

You are what you make yourself to be. Want pathetic student attendance? Treat them like they don't matter, giving them broken chairs, and blame them for the broken chairs instead of the clear lack of maintence that's been done on the building. The chairbacks are broken because of the students? Please. Thy're broken because they're crap that hasn't been maintained. I'm not sure what students your watching during the game, but see more fans above the age of 40 behaving inappropriate in their chairs than the students.

Treat students as if they matter, because they're kinda the reason a college exists...and they kinda foot the bill for athletics than all of us on this board do combined. Show young people some respect and maybe we can start turning this university around.

• Like 1

There is more to the upgrade than a coat of paint. The current upper tier chair backs will be moved to the other side. New chair backs in the north end to form a student section complete with a concession stand. The west side will get new chair backs rising higher and covering half the track which will be eliminated. The center scoreboard will be replaced with a modern all graphic design. Two corners will get data scoreboards with game statistics such as player stats. The south end will be gutted and replaced with an extended Tommy Evans lounge with seating facing the court. Tommy Evans will get upgraded food services and entry will be by large donation same as now. At court level there will be an atrium that runs up through the new lounge. There will be chair back seating. The expected capacity is approximately 5,000. This modernization is a five to seven year stop gap to buy time for raising funds to build a new arena.

Sounds great. Does anyone know the budget?

• 2 months later...

Probably one out of every 20 Zips fans could have gotten Kenny Cullifer, I would guess. Shawn Roberts, and Eric McLaughlin are pictured as well. I MIGHT still have this poster somewhere. We used to have a lot of these kinds of promotional posters, like the "Smash Hits" poster showing football's defensive front all holding sledgehammers during the Faust era. I could go on and on.

It brings back memories seeing that Classic game against #3 Pitt on the schedule, at the old Richfield Coliseum. What a night.

Thanks for posting, Dr. Z. This kind of theme would work well today with the latest Star Wars craze.

EDIT: I also had to check and see if that ASHLAND game was against Keith's Ashland team, but I can see he didn't start coaching there for about another year.

Edited by skip-zip