Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
akronzips71

ESPN Deal

Recommended Posts

Any news on whether we are in the ESPN package for the new season? Last year we got stiffed pretty good, just wondering if we did the updates and will get ESPN coverage this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news on whether we are in the ESPN package for the new season? Last year we got stiffed pretty good, just wondering if we did the updates and will get ESPN coverage this season.

Could you explain exactly what "deal" you are referring to? Do you mean ESPN3 coverage? For the record, Akron has received a great increase in national TV coverage in the past two seasons, thru the ESPN Gameplan format. While last season the team was on the plan (guestimating) around 10-12 times, in 2013-14 the team was on about 16 or 17 times. Hopefully we return to the 2014 stature. :rock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We might soon have to pay more money to watch our Zips.

https://deadspin.com/espns-new-4-99-a-month-service-is-taking-away-some-pro-1824262409

I have seen nothing that says ESPN3 (paid for by the cable companies) will disappear.  Some programming may appear on both venues.  Initial press release by Disney is confusing to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

 

That's quite the positive spin to put on this, stating that the layoffs are due to going in a "new direction" and trying to ignore the fact that they upped the fee to make up any differences, which should bite them in the rear end as time goes on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN and Comcast continue to "battle over Fox's movie production business as well as networks National Geographic and FX, Star TV, stakes in Sky, Endemol Shine Group, Hulu and regional sports networks."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely watch ESPN anymore. I use to watch SportsCenter in the morning but it's not the same. And if you don't catch it in time, you get hours of talking heads yelling their opinions at you. Apparently that's what millenials want to watch. 

 

We're getting closer to pay-as-you-watch TV. No more sattelite and cable companies charging you for 200 channels you never watch to get the 12 you do. Want to see a ball game? Click a button and $2 or $3 will come off your bank card. 

 

I don't know which is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't already dumped Spectrum, Cox .. etc and taken a look at YouTubeTV or Sling, you ought to.

 

The *only* downside I have come across is that I no longer get Les Levine's weeknight show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Spin said:

I rarely watch ESPN anymore. I use to watch SportsCenter in the morning but it's not the same. And if you don't catch it in time, you get hours of talking heads yelling their opinions at you. Apparently that's what millenials want to watch. 

 

We're getting closer to pay-as-you-watch TV. No more sattelite and cable companies charging you for 200 channels you never watch to get the 12 you do. Want to see a ball game? Click a button and $2 or $3 will come off your bank card. 

 

I don't know which is better.

Mobdro for Android. Just about all TV worldwide is there for free.

Meanwhile with what I pay Optimum/FIOS I am not paying another dime to watch anything.

If the Zips are on pay TV they can all rot in hell for all I care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zip Watcher said:

If you haven't already dumped Spectrum, Cox .. etc and taken a look at YouTubeTV or Sling, you ought to.

 

The *only* downside I have come across is that I no longer get Les Levine's weeknight show.

 

Decades ago (when I still lived in Akron) I was a regular viewer of the Les Levine Show.  Most callers would offer something like, "Great show Les," to which Les would ask "tonight?" And the caller would respond with, "No Les, every night."  I called in and said, "Great show Les," and Les asked "tonight?, to which I responded, "well no, but usually."  Somehow we were disconnected!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Spin said:

I rarely watch ESPN anymore. I use to watch SportsCenter in the morning but it's not the same. And if you don't catch it in time, you get hours of talking heads yelling their opinions at you. Apparently that's what millenials want to watch. 

 

We're getting closer to pay-as-you-watch TV. No more sattelite and cable companies charging you for 200 channels you never watch to get the 12 you do. Want to see a ball game? Click a button and $2 or $3 will come off your bank card. 

 

I don't know which is better.

Millenials make up the largest group of cord cutters so we obviously don't find it all that entertaining.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, akronzips71 said:

Mobdro for Android. Just about all TV worldwide is there for free.

Meanwhile with what I pay Optimum/FIOS I am not paying another dime to watch anything.

If the Zips are on pay TV they can all rot in hell for all I care.

 

We thought about that. We like to watch the local news, but with a small digital antenna you get 10x more local channels than you do with cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Spin said:

Apparently that's what millenials want to watch. 

 

Nope it's why we're de-subscribing in droves.  It's what y'all think millennials want.  The industry should start looking at making quality content over more content.  Every pre-game show for the NBA finals this year I had the television muted, or waited several mins after the game started because it was non-stop "where is LeBron going next year because it's CLEARLY not cleveland" (which was so disrespectful with cleveland IN the finals)...and non stop drooling over Golden State punks.  Wasn't quality television worth my time to even listen to in the background.

 

On 7/2/2018 at 2:08 PM, kreed5120 said:

Millenials make up the largest group of cord cutters so we obviously don't find it all that entertaining.

 

Bingo.  The market has become this zombie of desperately trying to attract millennials on what they think they will be interested in, and failing to do so.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  On 7/2/2018 at 2:08 PM, kreed5120 said:

Millenials make up the largest group of cord cutters so we obviously don't find it all that entertaining.

 

This is probably not relevant to your discussion because you guys already have your positions staked out but your data is not correct.  

 

Baby Boomers are the largest consumer grouping that has removed cable/satellite service.  This trend has been in effect for over 20 years.  They represent the highest penetration of cable users and so they would naturally have the highest defection rate.  For the most part Millennials never bought the cable/satellite services in high numbers so they are not the "largest group of cord cutters" .  A more accurate description would be the largest generational group to have never purchased cable/satellite service.

Edited by ZZZips
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ZZZips said:

This is probably not relevant to your discussion because you guys already have your positions staked out but your data is not correct.  

 

Baby Boomers are the largest consumer grouping that has removed cable/satellite service.  This trend has been in effect for over 20 years.  They represent the highest penetration of cable users and so they would naturally have the highest defection rate.  For the most part Millennials never bought the cable/satellite services in high numbers so they are not the "largest group of cord cutters" .  A more accurate description would be the largest generational group to have never purchased cable/satellite service.

 

The industry, which relies on young people purchasing new subscriptions, doesn't agree with your definition of "cord-cutter".  Cord-cutter includes "those who've never had cable, satellite or any kind or pay-TV service."  The "cordless" if you will.

From this survey:

Millennials represent the biggest portion of cord-cutters, and they’re also a group marketers desperately want to reach. That’s why figures such as the new data from research firm GfK are worth noting. From a survey of 25,000 American consumers, the firm found that those ages 18 to 34 make up 43% of the so-called cordless population. That includes those who’ve never had cable, satellite or any kind of pay-TV service and have cut the cord. When looking at the group of are cord-free U.S. Millennials, about 30% , almost twice as many as the 16% of cord-free boomers, the research found.

But we're splitting hairs here.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting factual may be spitting hairs but the article  you reference reinforces my point.  if you measure the percentage of an age group who does not buy a product, then Millenials are the largest "cordless" demographic group.  If you measure the group who has purchased the product in the past and no longer buys the product (ie cord cutting) then the Boomers are the largest demographic group.   

 

Millenials avoid many purchase decisions that the preseding generations made regularly.   Home purchases, first class seating on airplanes, etc.  That doesnt make the Millenials inferior but just more frugal than their parents generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure if Boomers grew up with alternative options like Netflix or slim bundles a lot fewer of them would have cable today. At the end of the day Millenials don't view what ESPN has turned into as must see TV which is what got this discussion started in the 1st place. I use to watch ESPN nightly before bed because it was quality television. I eventually cut my cable because I couldn't justify spending $70 a month for something I barely watched.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×