Caleb Porter

• 1 year later...

Interesting article about the development of the game in England and one persons impact on the game through analysis (even though the analysis was probably wrong). It dictated the "kick the ball long" strategy that we tend to see all over college soccer and why Porter electing to go a different route really was a small revolution.   

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/if-usmnt-fires-jurgen-klinsmann-here-are-the-top-candidates-to-replace-him/

... 2. Caleb Porter ...

Porter motivates his players and relates to them well, and he knows how to make proper changes mid-game to boost his team, especially in the attack. He guided the University of Akron to the national championship in 2010 and then took the Portland Timbers to the top of MLS in 2015. He's still coaching Portland and knows the game and the MLS-based players very well. He would be a darkhorse but he would be my pick. ...

Mine, too. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Around the 01:00:28 mark..."I always had the best players in college. I worked my ass off ..." Great reminiscing of approach at Akron.

Edited by Zip_ME87

• 7 months later...
On 11/16/2016 at 10:14 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/if-usmnt-fires-jurgen-klinsmann-here-are-the-top-candidates-to-replace-him/

... 2. Caleb Porter ...

Porter motivates his players and relates to them well, and he knows how to make proper changes mid-game to boost his team, especially in the attack. He guided the University of Akron to the national championship in 2010 and then took the Portland Timbers to the top of MLS in 2015. He's still coaching Portland and knows the game and the MLS-based players very well. He would be a darkhorse but he would be my pick. ...

Mine, too. :) 

Job reopens:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/13/bruce-arena-resigns-usa-coach-world-cup-failure-soccer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Interesting article that showed in your link. Apparently "white privilege " is holding back progress for USA soccer.  Who knew!:wacko:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football

• Like 1

We have dissected CP for decades now, some since before he came to Akron.  We know he has warts; he is not perfect.  He can be annoyingly stubborn.  Arrogant.

We also know that CP is a natural, perhaps even gifted, leader of men.  He is passionate about soccer, in the very essence of that word.  USSF could do much worse than Caleb Porter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

We have dissected CP for decades now, some since before he came to Akron.  We know he has warts; he is not perfect.  He can be annoyingly stubborn.  Arrogant.

We also know that CP is a natural, perhaps even gifted, leader of men.  He is passionate about soccer, in the very essence of that word.  USSF could do much worse than Caleb Porter.

IMHO CP  got a bum's rap, mainly from Jurgen after the Olympic team failure to qualify, but I am/was too close to the situation with his tenure at the U.  Gulati is an ass, and until he is sent packing by the Directors or resigns, things will stay the same.  

I'd love to think Caleb is to be considered, but not by the current regime....

• Like 1

Did you see the Guardian article suggesting Julie Foudy or another woman-- for diversity's sake (as if diversity, or feminism could replace democracy -- side comment ;)  )  It mentioned Eric Wynalda was preparing for a run to replace Sunil.  That's a fascinating possibility, being a fan of Wynalda's.  Do you think a young former player with a good head for US soccer politics could be successful?

Edited by Z.I.P.

Z.I.P., I am totally in favor of Wynalda over Gulati as the next leader of US soccer. Gullet's leadership is ineffective and his hands as dirty with all the CONCACAF corruption that has gone on while he led US soccer. He knew about it, did nothing and there is circumstantial evidence that he personally benefitted from the payoffs. Wynalda has already written a 100+ page manifesto on what US soccer needs and what he would do. He is not afraid to lead and change the status quo.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TennZip said:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/10/should_the_united_states_mens.html

Plain Dealer actually has an article about soccer....and Caleb Porter

Great to see the Plain Dealer have this article, but seems to be another lazy writer. When talking about CP's experience with US Soccer, he should  have also mentioned Caleb's stint as a U18 MNT assistant, where he convinced a very talented Right Back named DeAndre Yedlin to move to playing that position.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Z.I.P., I am totally in favor of Wynalda over Gulati as the next leader of US soccer. Gullet's leadership is ineffective and his hands as dirty with all the CONCACAF corruption that has gone on while he led US soccer. He knew about it, did nothing and there is circumstantial evidence that he personally benefitted from the payoffs. Wynalda has already written a 100+ page manifesto on what US soccer needs and what he would do. He is not afraid to lead and change the status quo.

I cannot vote for USSF president, but if I could, I would vote for Eric Wynalda.  What he lacks in corporate acumen can be exceeded by Soccer experience and passion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

And so, CP should be credited with Yedlin’s switch to defense.  The way I heard it, from extremely reliable sources, DeAndre had never played defense prior to meeting Porter.

I am not contending your point.

I know you're not. That was my point, though. DeAndre played MF and never player defender prior to meeting CP. I guess the way I worded it wasn't clear..."...where he convinced a very talented now right back named DeAndre Yedlin to first move to playing that position (from playing MF)"

Edited by Zip_ME87

On 10/13/2017 at 11:09 AM, ZippyRulz said:

This is an excellent article that I encourage all to read.  Tom Luntz is right.  We will have arrived as a soccer nation when players developed organically, playing incessant “pick-up” ball.  No coaches!  No referees!  

USA has embraced the business of soccer more than it has the pure love for the game.  This is changing, but too slowly.

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

This is an excellent article that I encourage all to read.  Tom Luntz is right.  We will have arrived as a soccer nation when players developed organically, playing incessant “pick-up” ball.  No coaches!  No referees!  

USA has embraced the business of soccer more than it has the pure love for the game.  This is changing, but too slowly.

I was down in Sarasota two weeks ago and drove over to IMG Academy, and you are right....it is Corporate Soccer City.  Where the best (that can afford it) are in a resort like atmosphere with facilities out the ying yang.  But it’s not thestreet kids there, it’s all the club kids who’s parents have been able to spend lavishly on travel clubs since they were 5years old, camps every season and off season, tournaments around the world, and coaches and tutors to help with soccer and school.  Mostly so they wiwll meet the right contacts to get them in the right schools and the right ODP programs.  Not looking for the “organic” kids like fknbuflobo says.  Don’t get me wrong, IMG does produce good kids and players, but it’s rare to see an inner-city kid down there for anythng but basketball, and they give scholarships.