Caleb Porter

WOW!  I became a Crew supporter this year based on their February appearance at Aloha Stadium (how great that Wil Trapp picked me out in the stands -- in my Zips jersey -- and walked over to say hey when the players entered the stadium) and the #SavetheCrew movement.  I hesitate to like any club in that town, but am ready to become a full-on CC fan if they make this move!  The new GM I also have met -- Pat Onstad was the Dynamo keeper when the team with Hawaii's Brian Ching played here about 2009.  #GoCrew

• Like 1

I think I can spill the beans now.  I was told by a person with contact to Portland Timbers officials that Caleb had agreed to the Galaxy job back in October.  That was just before his visit to Akron for the Hall of Fame honors and soccer program celebration.  Since it has taken so long, I figured my contact must have gotten his wires mixed and I was truly hoping Caleb would come "home" to the midwest.  I guess the roommate connection (Galaxy GM Chris Klein was his IU roommate) and $$ won out.  Personally, I have questions whether he can handle the LA limelight.  That club is a long way from being a contender.  But...so was Portland when he arrived! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The proximity of CP has to be good for Zips' soccer in some fashion, right?

One would hope the connection to Porter would help connections to the Crew and Crew Academy. Although Porter also has a connection with the coach at tOSU, men’s soccer only has 9.9 scholarships. So hopefully Akron  can benefit even though we are further away. 

15 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.

I can tell you this from talking with him as he was leaving to become Timbers coach and recently when he was at Akron for the Varsity A HoF induction ... Caleb loves Akron. He made it his program and took it (along with Jared) to the pinnacle of D-1 Men's Soccer with our 2010 National Championship. He recommended Jared Embick as his replacement and has followed and been pleased with the continued excellence of our program...which also adds to his legacy. (It's always a plus for a coach's assistant to also go on and be so successful like Jared.) Also, it is likely that former Zip Pablo Moreira will be part of Caleb's coaching staff in Columbus. Wil Trapp is Captain of the Crew. Who knows what other former Zips may join the Crew. No guarantees, but it seems the ties to our program will be strong.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

My fear (double-edged sword) is more 1 and done players leaving the Zips to play for the Crew!  I want more seniors at Senior Day!!:D

The reason our program attracts the best players is their opportunity to play for Akron and go pro, whether that is after a year or several years. Having players sign with Generation Adidas draws potential recruits' attention to our program and gives our coaches a great tool with which to convince them to sign up. Without that, we would not even know these players to lament their leaving early.

• Like 3