2016 Recruiting

You are correct. Akron has not been a historical winner. But there is a much better opportunity to win at Akron than there is at Wake or Illinois. Fact. There are no 800 pound gorillas in the MAC that are going to dominate for all eternity like there are in P5 conferences.

I don't disagree with you at all, but once you leave Northeast Ohio, nobody knows who Akron is. Even with a name coach. If you are going to consider Akron, that means, more than likely, you are also going to get offers from the likes of Ohio, Toledo, NIU, etc... who have all had much better success than Akron. Add on top of it, the school isn't represented well by both staff and the locals, so outside of the terrific facilities and a coach, what does Akron have to offer to a recruit?

I have been through the recruiting process myself...for basketball...and many of my friends chose to go DI because it was an offer, whether preferred walk on or not, and I chose the route of wanting to play as much as I could before it all ended. But I had zero dreams of pro sports. The sad reality is, kids that go to Akron really think that pro football is their best outcome. Just tossing that out there as well, that is a very realistic mindset for a lot of these kids.

I don't disagree with you at all, but once you leave Northeast Ohio, nobody knows who Akron is.

I have been through the recruiting process myself...for basketball

Check out this year's pro day and see how many NFL scouts (people that count) know who Akron is. Basketball and football are apples and oranges.

Check out this year's pro day and see how many NFL scouts (people that count) know who Akron is. Basketball and football are apples and oranges.

No, the people that count are the recruits to make the program better.

• Like 1

Who said anything about NFL Scouts? Might have glossed over that one but didn't catch it? But you are kidding yourself if you think Akron has as much film in front of scouts as they do in the Big Ten or any other P5 conference. You are absolutely right that if you have talent, scouts will find you. But how many times do players come through Akron that catch the attention like a Brown did this year? However, you can get noticed by the scouts looking at other players. Hence why pro days at big schools mean a lot for lesser named players.

There's a reason why Akron players have to go to other schools pro days, while P5 schools are filled with head coaches and not lower rung position coaches like at MAC schools when a big name player is not present.

• Like 1

Who said anything about NFL Scouts? Might have glossed over that one but didn't catch it? But you are kidding yourself if you think Akron has as much film in front of scouts as they do in the Big Ten or any other P5 conference. You are absolutely right that if you have talent, scouts will find you. But how many times do players come through Akron that catch the attention like a Brown did this year? However, you can get noticed by the scouts looking at other players. Hence why pro days at big schools mean a lot for lesser named players.

There's a reason why Akron players have to go to other schools pro days, while P5 schools are filled with head coaches and not lower rung position coaches like at MAC schools when a big name player is not present.

1) Time to catch up.... Akron has been holding its own pro day.

2) Quality vs. quantity. The Steelers are one of the biggest MAC NFL teams and they are right next door. Ask Jawon Chisholm.

Getting noticed by NFL scouts has not been an issue. The lack of NFL ready players was the problem but that has been improving as the program improves. It's not unusual for NFL scouts to be at Zips home games.

Playing in a program where the player has the most opportunities to develop and excel will always be the best choice for the player. The challenges fir these kids is to figure put where that s because they are getting told what they want to hear, so much of the time. I really feel for the kids who don't have parents helping them sort through it all.

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

1) Time to catch up.... Akron has been holding its own pro day.

2) Quality vs. quantity. The Steelers are one of the biggest MAC NFL teams and they are right next door. Ask Jawon Chisholm.

Getting noticed by NFL scouts has not been an issue. The lack of NFL ready players was the problem but that has been improving as the program improves. It's not unusual for NFL scouts to be at Zips home games.

Playing in a program where the player has the most opportunities to develop and excel will always be the best choice for the player. The challenges fir these kids is to figure put where that s because they are getting told what they want to hear, so much of the time. I really feel for the kids who don't have parents helping them sort through it all.

Yeah....no need to catch up, I stated that MAC schools pro days are typically attended by position coaches. Unless a Khalil Mack type player is up for grabs........

WE have 3 HS verbals and one of those may go to Illinois. All of the other MAC schools have double digit verbals and some over 20.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football-recruiting/2015/2/26/8097453/mac-football-recruiting-class-2016-database

Why is Akron so behind? I don't understand.

I am not sure how much the bowl win will help this year being so late in the process.

If we have a good season next season then it will help a lot. But if we revert back to crap with all of our starter losses, it won't matter much.

The bowl win got some attention, but we need to get there again next season to convince guys we are for real

Edited by Buckzip

WE have 3 HS verbals and one of those may go to Illinois. All of the other MAC schools have double digit verbals and some over 20.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football-recruiting/2015/2/26/8097453/mac-football-recruiting-class-2016-database

Why is Akron so behind? I don't understand.

I am not sure how much the bowl win will help this year being so late in the process.

If we have a good season next season then it will help a lot. But if we revert back to crap with all of our starter losses, it won't matter much.

The bowl win got some attention, but we need to get there again next season to convince guys we are for real

It's been a dead period. How can the coaches sell whats going on when they can't talk to recruits?

It's been a dead period. How can the coaches sell whats going on when they can't talk to recruits?

No face to face contact (visits) with coaches during dead period .................. Phone calls, emails, texts are still permitted

I'm sure Coaches have been working the phones

Edited by Jrship35
  • Like 1

Is Akron's current recruiting method unorthodox? Absolutely. But the program doesn't need a ton of new players right now. Most that come in will either red shirt or grey shirt and end up in next year's recruiting class anyway. If that means more of the Brock Boxen and Jerome Lane type guys, I'm all for it. You have to do what's right for you.

We still have 3 verbals. Dead period doesn't matter. It's been a dead period for those that have 20 + verbals also. Hopefully you are right and after the dead period we will start getting higher rated players.

Not sure how anyone can say we don't need many players. For the most part recruiting isn't for the very next season, it's for the future. Unless someone is a complete stud, he won't contribute much his true freshman year anyway. I would much more prefer to see RS freshman and sophs and up on our depth chart and not true freshman. if we don't get them now, the next class will still be freshman.

You need a pipeline of players coming in to be successful. TB seems to sign some guys and gets credit for the recruits. Then they don't play and he mentions them again the next season as new recruits again. I have followed recruiting nationally for a very long time and have never, ever seen anyone do that like he does. The truly good players don't grey shirt. They don't need to because they have multiple offers out there. The players that Akron can greyshirt are mostly players that had Akron as their only or best offer.

If you want to see how good a recruit is, look at who else has offered them a scholly. Not who else is interested, but who actually offered them. If Akron is their best offer then that should tell you something.

I know we won't get players offered by Florida or Bama or Clemson or Michigan, but we should be able to beat out Cincy, lower level B1G and higher MAC schools for players. We don't do that much. Hopefully it changes, but we will have to wait and see.

BuckZip, love ya, but I think worrying about recruiting for the Zips at this point is wasted effort. Bowden and co have shown they can get what they need to succeed. We shouldn't doubt it and just wait for signing day.

That's kind of a good point. Nobody has been really impressed with any of Bowden's classes I don't think, but regardless of what we think we know, it has led us to the school's first ever bowl win and most wins in D-1 history.

BuckZip, love ya, but I think worrying about recruiting for the Zips at this point is wasted effort. Bowden and co have shown they can get what they need to succeed. We shouldn't doubt it and just wait for signing day.

Balsy, I am not worried. I am merely discussing recruiting. This is a forum for discussion and I am discussing.

Or as Ray Farmer would say, I am conversating..... :)

I still think we will see more transfers, a couple of 5th year seniors and JUCO guys still this year. It is a fine line between recruiting for the future, understanding the progress of the RS Frosh and Sophomores and filling holes needed to continue to build the program.

Again, these guys have been doing this for decades, and although they may not show much to the recruiting sites, I feel very comfortable in saying that they fully realize the momentum that last season gave UA and are capitalizing on that in this year's recruiting process.

i too will say that it is a bit alarming to see the list's from the different schools in comparison to UA's, but I have found in my short time with UA, that is kinda the norm