Game 11—Buffalo Bulls

johnnyzip84

Rowdy, I'm sure it will affect attendance a bit. But, a friend of mine who's a serious OSU Honk (like LZip - See Post #26) also told me in April that nobody would be at the Zips Spring Game because Cowlumbus State had their spring game the same day. Instead, we had record attendance.

If someone is a Zips Fan, they should care more about Akron continuing their 2-game win streak and getting to a bowl game than what happens with MSU and the Suckeyes, right? There's plenty of good football to watch on the tube when you get home AFTER the Zips game.

On the attendance topic, here is a chance for all of the "just win and they will come" philosophers on this board to prove they are right. Two road wins in a row, bowl eligibility right in front of us, and possibly the best close to a season in nearly a decade.

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

I am somewhat "win and they will come" bandwagon but believe that means begin a tradition of winning, not just 1 season. It doesn't happen overnight and winning isn't the only component.

The promos being run are a step in the right direction. I thought CMU attendance was a step forward. The warmer weather in November will help, as well. Let's hope for no precipitation.

zipsoutsider....The hats and bobbleheads being given out these last two games might seem like a great perk on the surface.

Unfortunately, most of those hats will be given out this Saturday to people who would have come to the game anyway, and the bobbleheads next Friday will primarily be given to people who would have been there anyway as well. People in Akron who don't give a damn about the Zips aren't going to run out and buy $20 tickets for themselves and their family to get a hat.

Rowdy, I'm sure it will affect attendance a bit. But, a friend of mine who's a serious OSU Honk (like LZip - See Post #26) also told me in April that nobody would be at the Zips Spring Game because Cowlumbus State had their spring game the same day. Instead, we had record attendance.

If someone is a Zips Fan, they should care more about Akron continuing their 2-game win streak and getting to a bowl game than what happens with MSU and the Suckeyes, right? There's plenty of good football to watch on the tube when you get home AFTER the Zips game.

On the attendance topic, here is a chance for all of the "just win and they will come" philosophers on this board to prove they are right. Two road wins in a row, bowl eligibility right in front of us, and possibly the best close to a season in nearly a decade.

1. You're delusional.

2. I can assure you I never said such a thing because I couldn't give a damn about spring football game attendance.

3. You took Post 26 completely out of context (not shocked).

Edited by LZip

LZip..

1) If the post that a-zip made was in reference to another school besides OSWho, would you have responded the same way? Would you have even responded at all? I know I've commented on this several times before in regards to your posts.

2) I was saying that you were a Honk, like my friend. Not that you were the one who said nobody would be in attendance at our Spring Game.

3) I'm not shocked at your response either. If a-zip's post angered you that much, and you want validation for your opinions, I'm sure Ohio State has a forum somewhere where you will get 100% agreement on everything you say about them.

LZip..

1) If the post that a-zip made was in reference to another school besides OSWho, would you have responded the same way? Would you have even responded at all? I know I've commented on this several times before in regards to your posts.

2) I was saying that you were a Honk, like my friend. Not that you were the one who said nobody would be in attendance at our Spring Game.

3) I'm not shocked at your response either. If a-zip's post angered you that much, and you want validation for your opinions, I'm sure Ohio State has a forum somewhere where you will get 100% agreement on everything you say about them.

Yes, If you replace "Ohio State" with "Michigan" my thoughts are the exact same. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about my comment. But then again, I'm not surprised someone with the inferiority complex to OSU that you have took it way out of context.

Exactly my point.

And your thoughts may have been the same, but would you have been so quick to vehemently respond to his post? Your timing is impeccable when it comes to any comment about OSWho in a negative light.

This is an Akron forum. Ohio State is a competitor. So get over it. (using same tone that you used in Post #26).

Edited by skip-zip

zipsoutsider....The hats and bobbleheads being given out these last two games might seem like a great perk on the surface.

Unfortunately, most of those hats will be given out this Saturday to people who would have come to the game anyway, and the bobbleheads next Friday will primarily be given to people who would have been there anyway as well. People in Akron who don't give a damn about the Zips aren't going to run out and buy $20 tickets for themselves and their family to get a hat.

I don't think it is the individual game promos that draw a crowd, it's the whole package. With not a ton of advertising, the August picture day event was a nice crowd.

zipsoutsider, I don't argue that all of the perks are nice. Including the events where you get to mingle with the players. I just question if it has any impact beyond the people who are already going to attend Zips sporting events. I don't think that it gets any "Joe Akron" to line up at the ticket window, and therefore increase ticket sales. I think it's just a benefit that's primarily enjoyed by the existing fan base.

100% agree with that, and it shows how pathetic bandwagon fans are. However, I guess I can't hate on 'em too much...I just finished reading ecologist EO Wilson's new book, and his proposed Eu Species concept to explain our longing, seemingly biological, drive in the phenomema of tribalism. He makes a lot of references to his research with ants, and his experience of being part of the Alabama Crimson Tide "tribe". So their pathetic bandwagoness might partially be the result of mindless biology. ;)

This gets an award for most interesting reference in a post. I read a couple of other books that touched on this recently-- Haidt's The Righteous Mind and a really cool one called Sapiens. Definitely worth checking out!

Can't game needs to be played early in the season - maybe 1st conference game?

Either Buffalo or Ohio could be played on "Rivalry Week."

I'd bet Ohio's rivalry with us is more intense than their rivalry with Miami is. I know they're right up there with Can't for me. I love to hate Ohio. And I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

I rather have Black Friday Fun playing Toledo.....

I felt very strongly that the game was poorly scheduled, too. I know it is considered, "rivalry weekend for Div. 1" but it doesn't work for us.

​I don't think we can pull this off when students are on Thanksgiving break.

So if Akron doesn't beat Can't even if it means going 7-5 and a bowl,it will be because nobody showed up. Tell that to the kids who beat Can't in 2005 to go to the MAC champeenship.

Sounds like an excuse for some people who post here who don't want to be at the Can't game IF Akron beats UB.

So if Akron doesn't beat Can't even if it means going 7-5 and a bowl,it will be because nobody showed up. Tell that to the kids who beat Can't in 2005 to go to the MAC champeenship.

Sounds like an excuse for some people who post here who don't want to be at the Can't game IF Akron beats UB.

I was referencing crowd size, not whether we can/should beat Can't.

what in the hell are you talking about???

• Like 1

BINGO! So how can TB and team have a home field advantage and recruit good players. I read so many complaints around the marketing dept etc, what can they do?

Skip - I get what you are saying, but i think it is sad........queue the "iCoach apocalypse, win and they will come crew" ;-)

It is funny...a 10 point road win, our 4th road road win of the year...only 3 years removed from triple 1-11 seasons...is cause to get rid of the coaching staff and start over. For a vocal few.

A vocal one is consistently amazed that we don't fill InfoCision after we string two wins together.

Zips are having a nice season. I'm looking forward to Saturday. I'll be dressed warm, slightly drunk, and cheering for the Zips! F Buffalo!

• Like 3

It is funny...a 10 point road win, our 4th road road win of the year...only 3 years removed from triple 1-11 seasons...is cause to get rid of the coaching staff and start over. For a vocal few.A vocal one is consistently amazed that we don't fill InfoCision after we string two wins together. Zips are having a nice season. I'm looking forward to Saturday. I'll be dressed warm, slightly drunk, and cheering for the Zips! F Buffalo!

I am not sure anyone (I may be wrong) is advocating getting rid of the entire coaching staff, but a few changes definitely need to happen this offseason. Milwee just isn't working out and we need help on special teams. A young energetic guy to really get after recruiting wouldn't hurt either. I would be more than ecstatic to see those changes happen.

It will be interesting to see more Bowden addresses the offensive issues next season. But Woodson having a full year under his belt will help more than anything. Ditto Lane.

The kid from Kentucky should also be a nice addition to the OL.

Milwee has gone super conservative against good competition, and opened things up against the weaker opponents. Buffalo falls somewhere in the middle. I hope he lets the offense loose this week. Putting all your chips in on the defense to win the game against a decent opponent has only produced close losses so far.