Heroin in Ohio — 60 Minutes

skip-zip

Not that this is the kind of publicity you want, but 60 Minutes was doing an excellent piece about rural Ohio kids and painkillers and other drugs last night. I was shocked when Tyler Campbell appeared on the screen, showing footage of him on the field in his Akron uniform, and mentioning the U of A. They even mentioned that "his quarterback" (must not have had permission to use his name) had a similar fate.

I'm surprised that these two individuals, from a relatively "small" college in most people's minds, would become the prime example of this problem going awry with major college athletes.

Did anyone else see this?

I don't disagree, I just don't think it painted the UA football program in a bad light.

Hopefully, beyond the fact that this problem happens everywhere, people realize that it happened in Akron 6 years, and two coaching staffs ago.

My son is entering 9th grade. Very nice school system...one of the top 5 public schools in Ohio. He had a meeting for Freshman baseball last Sunday where the guest speaker was a kid from the class of 96. Starting QB. Played college baseball at Walsh. And he spoke about his severe addiction issues over the past 18 years and the havoc it's wreaked on his family and life.

I wish the lessons of what happened to Campbell and Jacquemaine weren't tied to UA, but what can you do? Hopefully by their parents tirelessly spreading the word over the past 6 years they've prevented some kids from following the same path.

• Like 2