2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

So as of today 62 teams have at least 6 wins, 35 have at least seven losses with 31 (including the Zips) on the cusp of bowl eligibility with no more than six losses. 14 of the 31 (Ga St, Kentucky, Vandy, Washington, San Jose St, Rice, FIU, UTEP, ECU, Kansas St, Texas, Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota) already have six losses so those are the ones we should probably be rooting against to help the Zips. CMU is almost certainly going to make it (they have Can't and EMU left), so that would give the MAC six eligible, so the Zips will probably need as many conferences as possible not to fill their slots, and losing to the Bulls might well get the Zips left behind because they would be a seventh team eligible and would probably drop the Zips to an eighth place MAC slot. That isn't likely to get it done. The Buffalo game is huge.

• Like 1

"Going To A Bowl" is going to be the sweetest sound to my ears.

I don't care Where, Who, or When. And I don't care about anyone's prediction that the wrong matchup would spell DOOM for us.

Skip, I don't think anyone is saying that getting blown out in a bowl game would be doom for the program. My whole post was kind of tongue-in-cheek about praying for the best possible outcome. There are some matchups that would be disastrous, but certainly not the end of the world.

The sun came up the morning of March 22, 2013 and it would come up the day after a bowl game beatdown as well. I don't think the basketball program was damaged by that NCAA Tournament defeat but it sure was a bitter pill for a Zips fan to swallow. I remember feeling like I had been punched in the stomach the next day. I sincerely hope the Zips get a beatable team if they make it to a bowl, but it is good for the program no matter what.

I haven't read any posts in this thread that made me think that anyone was advocating it was better to not make a bowl vs. going and getting our ass handed to us. I certainly hope it wasn't my post that made anyone think that because I definitely didn't mean it that way.

• Like 1

So as of today 62 teams have at least 6 wins, 35 have at least seven losses with 31 (including the Zips) on the cusp of bowl eligibility with no more than six losses. 14 of the 31 (Ga St, Kentucky, Vandy, Washington, San Jose St, Rice, FIU, UTEP, ECU, Kansas St, Texas, Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota) already have six losses so those are the ones we should probably be rooting against to help the Zips. CMU is almost certainly going to make it (they have Can't and EMU left), so that would give the MAC six eligible, so the Zips will probably need as many conferences as possible not to fill their slots, and losing to the Bulls might well get the Zips left behind because they would be a seventh team eligible and would probably drop the Zips to an eighth place MAC slot. That isn't likely to get it done. The Buffalo game is huge.

And all of those teams except MAYBE for FIU or San Jose are far more attractive than a 6-6 Akron.

For what its worth the latest SI projections have both Akron and Buffalo getting bowl berths, and in fact have the Zips as the only MAC team playing a "Power 5" team in the postseason.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/16/college-football-bowl-projections-week-11-playoff

I would really like to see the bowls reorganized to a point where at least a MAC team or two was in a bowl opposite a Power 5 conference team. I have never understood the logic in a MAC champion or runner-up playing a seven or eight win team from another Group of 5 conference. I'm not saying that all MAC bowl games should be against "name" schools or anything just that the MAC Champion and maybe even the runner-up or next best team should be given a little bigger stage in the bowl season.

For what its worth the latest SI projections have both Akron and Buffalo getting bowl berths, and in fact have the Zips as the only MAC team playing a "Power 5" team in the postseason.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/16/college-football-bowl-projections-week-11-playoff

I would really like to see the bowls reorganized to a point where at least a MAC team or two was in a bowl opposite a Power 5 conference team. I have never understood the logic in a MAC champion or runner-up playing a seven or eight win team from another Group of 5 conference. I'm not saying that all MAC bowl games should be against "name" schools or anything just that the MAC Champion and maybe even the runner-up or next best team should be given a little bigger stage in the bowl season.

The 28th in Detroit would be perfect.

Just did a quick count and I have 69 bowl eligible teams. I'll look at probably of 80 getting eligible tomorrow.

Screw it...I'm going to do it tonight.

AAC:

East Carolina has Cinci next week. After Cinci got their doors blown off against USF, this game is pretty much 50/50.

Tulsa. Will lose to Navy tonight, have Tulane next week. Probability high of beating them and becoming bowl eligible.

ACC:

Virginia Tech. They have Virginia next week. Probably a more likely than not chance that VT becomes bowl eligible.'

Big 12:

Texas. Has TTU and Baylor left. Highly unlikely they win out to become bowl eligible.

KState: Has Kansas and WVU left. Shouldn't lose to Kansas, but I don't see them getting by WVU.

B1G;

Indiana- has Purdue. Should be a win there.

Nebraska- Iowa. L.

Illinois. Northwestern. L.

Minnesota. Wisconsing..most likely L.

CUSA:

Old Dominion - should become bowl eligible with a win over FAU

MAC:

Buffalo. Has UMASS next week. Should win, but I'd assume we would get picked over them?

Mountain West:

San Jose State- games vs Hawaii and Boise. Need to win out. I dont see them beating Boise.

Pac 12:

Washington. Have Wash St next week and should be underdogs in it. Could go either way IMO.

SEC:

Vandy. has A&M and Tennessee left. Need to win out and its not happening.

kentucky- Charlotte right now. Will win. Have Louisville next week. ABout 50/50.

Missouri - needs to lose out vs Tenn and Arkansas. Probably most likely.

Sun Belt:

Georgia State: Has to win out vs Troy and GA Southern. Not going to happen.

South Alabama. Needs to go 1-1 vs GA Soutern and App State. Most likely not going to happen.

ULL: Needs to win out vs App State and Troy. Most likely not going to happen.

So there are 19 teams fighting for 11 spots if my math is correct. To summarize my opinion..

Most likely will qualify: 5

Maybe will qualify: 4

Most likely wont qualify: 10

As of right now, its still looking like are chances are pretty good no matter what...

EDIT: Updated to eliminate Rice who is going to lose to UTSA. They were what realistically, should have been a "most likely will qualify".

Edited by LZip

I'm seeing 71 bowl eligible teams, 13 teams at 5-6, five 4-6 teams (San Jose State is at Hawaii right now and up 14-0 early; they would move to 5-6), and 39 teams with 7 or more losses (ineligible).

So, 9 open spots left and 18 teams with a chance to fill them. Once those are filled, we worry about whether we get in or not.

Edited by AyYo

Screw it...I'm going to do it tonight.

AAC:

East Carolina has Cinci next week. After Cinci got their doors blown off against USF, this game is pretty much 50/50.

Tulsa. Has Tulane next week. Probability high of beating them and becoming bowl eligible.

ACC:

Virginia Tech. They have Virginia next week. Probably a more likely than not chance that VT becomes bowl eligible.'

Big 12:

Texas. Has TTU and Baylor left. Highly unlikely they win out to become bowl eligible.

KState: Has Kansas and WVU left. Shouldn't lose to Kansas, but I don't see them getting by WVU.

B1G;

Indiana- has Purdue. Should be a win there.

Nebraska- Iowa. L.

Illinois. Northwestern. L.

Minnesota. Wisconsing..most likely L.

CUSA:

Old Dominion - should become bowl eligible with a win over FAU

MAC:

Buffalo. Has UMASS next week. Should win, but I'd assume we would get picked over them?

Mountain West:

San Jose State- has Boise. I dont see them beating Boise.

Pac 12:

Washington. Have Wash St next week and should be underdogs in it. Could go either way IMO.

SEC:

Vandy. lost to A&M - ELIMINATED

kentucky- Have Louisville next week. ABout 50/50.

Missouri - Arkansas. Probably most likely loss.

Sun Belt:

Georgia State: Has to win out vs Troy and GA Southern. Not going to happen.

South Alabama. Needs to go 1-1 vs GA Soutern and App State. Most likely not going to happen.

ULL: Needs to win out vs App State and Troy. Most likely not going to happen.

So there are 19 teams fighting for 9 spots if my math is correct. To summarize my opinion..

Most likely will qualify: 5

Maybe will qualify: 3

Most likely wont qualify: 10

Eliminated: 1

As of right now, its still looking like are chances are pretty good no matter what...

I'm seeing 71 bowl eligible teams, 13 teams at 5-6, five 4-6 teams (San Jose State is at Hawaii right now and up 14-0 early; they would move to 5-6), and 39 teams with 7 or more losses (ineligible).

So, 9 open spots left and 18 teams with a chance to fill them. Once those are filled, we worry about whether we get in or not.

I did a recount and I agree. Must have had one too many beers last night! Updated my list above.

The MAC has 5 primary bowl tie-ins. It also holds a secondary tie-in to the Pointsetta Bowl if Army isn't eligible, which is the case this year. That ups the MAC guaranteed bowl slots to 6 this year. From there the MAC could sneak in a 7th or perhaps even an 8th (unlikely, but feasible) if a conference like the B1G, SEC, or another conference isn't able to fill all it's bowl slots with bowl eligible teams. This is why we are cheering for as many 5-6 teams as possible to get their 7th loss this week. There are 80 total bowl slots if there are only 80 eligible bowl teams, Akron is guaranteed a spot.

Win on Friday seals the deal, loss gives the advantage to WMU based on common opponents and strength of schedule. If we lose, 1-2 MAC schools must get spots in non MAC bowls for us to get in to a bowl.

Top 3

Toledo 9-1, plays WMU Win 10-1

BG 8-3, plays Ball State 9-3

NIU 8-3, plays Ohio Win 9-3

Middle of the Pack

CMU 6-5, plays EMU Win 7-5

Ohio 7-4, plays NIU Lose 7-5

UA 6-5, play Can't State Win 7-5

WMU 6-5, plays Toledo lose 6-6

UB 5-6, plays Umass Win 6-6

Cellar Dwellers

Can't State 3-8, plays UA Lose 3-9

Miami 3-8, plays Umass Win 4-8

Ball State 3-8, plays BG lose 3-9

Umass 2-9, plays Miami lose 2-10

EMU 1-10, plays CMU Lose 1-11

Win on Friday seals the deal, loss gives the advantage to WMU based on common opponents and strength of schedule. If we lose, 1-2 MAC schools must get spots in non MAC bowls for us to get in to a bowl.

If we lose to K.e.n.t, at home, on Senior Day, with a bowl berth on the line, I think that would be my final straw as a Zips fan.

I'm guessing we win by 20+.

Even if you get waxed?

That would be very interesting for us to play boise st. I say that bc when boise st was first starting to get some momentum if you remember,they played in a bcs bowl game vs oklahoma. No one gave them a shot to win that game. They however defied the odds and pulled the upset. Since then theyve been a consistent winner. A win over a boise state team in a bowl helps this progrum dadgum it. I say bring on boise.

Edited by zippy_ua_00

That would be very interesting for us to play boise st. I say that bc when boise st was first starting to get some momentum if you remember,they played in a bcs bowl game vs oklahoma. No one gave them a shot to win that game. They however defied the odds and pulled the upset. Since then theyve been a consistent winner. A win over a boise state team in a bowl helps this progrum dadgum it. I say bring on boise.

I wouldn't mind Boise at all, although it'd probably come at the cost of playing them on their home field. They are having a down year by their standards. There are certainly other mid majors I'd prefer to avoid over them.

Edited by LZip

Even 7-5 is not a lock if there are enough bowl eligible teams. Bowls pick the teams, it's not based on record. Think 2013 Toledo who was 7-5. It helps greatly to have that 7th win because only having 6 wins is scary for our chances if enough teams are eligible. Last year 6-6 Ohio was left out. 2014 6-6 CMU was left out.