2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 2h2 hours ago

Middle Tennessee will play in Bahamas Bowl sources told @ESPN. Middle Tennessee will play a team from MAC, still TBA, on Dec. 24

83 retweets 40 likes

Just seal the deal and make plans for the Bahamas .............. I know I had to overnight up some Akron Zips players birth certificate for a passport !!!! Just sayin !

Win on Friday seals the deal, loss gives the advantage to WMU based on common opponents and strength of schedule. If we lose, 1-2 MAC schools must get spots in non MAC bowls for us to get in to a bowl.

Top 3

Toledo 9-1, plays WMU Win 10-1

BG 8-3, plays Ball State 9-3

NIU 8-3, plays Ohio Win 9-3

Middle of the Pack

CMU 6-5, plays EMU Win 7-5

Ohio 7-4, plays NIU Lose 7-5

UA 6-5, play Can't State Win 7-5

WMU 6-5, plays Toledo lose 6-6

UB 5-6, plays Umass Win 6-6

Cellar Dwellers

Can't State 3-8, plays UA Lose 3-9

Miami 3-8, plays Umass Win 4-8

Ball State 3-8, plays BG lose 3-9

Umass 2-9, plays Miami lose 2-10

EMU 1-10, plays CMU Lose 1-11

Ohio beats NIU and moves to 8-4. Wasn't expecting that.

WMU is out. Toledo wins, they win the west. Toledo loses, NIU wins the west.

I meant WMU can get a share of the title but you're correct in that they cannot make the MACC. Even CMU is still alive to get that share, its possible there could be a four way tie for first at 6-2, and if that does occur then NIU gets the title based on common records against each other and a head to head win against WMU.

Toledo 1-2 (losses to WMU, NIU)

NIU 2-1 (loss to CMU)

CMU 1-2 (losses to Toledo, WMU)

WMU 2-1 (loss to NIU)

Edited by MDZip

That was a shocker. Both teams were down to inexperienced freshman QB's. How in the world did Buffalo thump Ohio?

NIU tried to make a run in the second half, but OU dominated the game. Lots if weird stuff in that game, blocked FG recovered behind the line of scrimmage for a 1st down, drop kick on an onside kick...for MAC fans it was a pretty crazy game to watch.

Our road to solidifying a bowl game starts tonight. We need Texas Tech to beat Texas to eliminate the Longhorns. That would leave 17 teams for the 9 remaining spots. Six more can be eliminated tomorrow (Georgia State, Missouri, Washington, Nebraska, San Jose, and Tulsa).

PS. A win tomorrow would certainly help too.

WMU beats Toledo 35-30. This may knock the Zips down a rung in the MAC bowl pecking order as both Akron and the Broncos end up 7-5 and that Toledo. Win has to look pretty attractive to bowl committees.

Akron should still be bowling but they may now be part of the "at large" pool instead of going to one of the official MAC tie-in games. In general I like the at large bowl choices better than much of the MAC bowl lineup anyway. The one exception to that, of course, is probably the Bahamas.

I'm still holding out hope that the Zips can matched up with a 6-6 Power 5 team. This team is better now than when they played Pitt and I'd like a shot at a middling "major". I just don't think it will happen and beggars can't really be choosers at this point.

I know the general consensus seems to be that we are in no matter what, but I'm still keeping tracker anyways. Somebody said something about picking. This could show us how many bowls we might have that option with.

AAC:

East Carolina has Cinci next week. After Cinci got their doors blown off against USF, this game is pretty much 50/50.

Tulsa. Beat Tulane. – Bowl Eligible

ACC:
Virginia Tech. They have Virginia next week. Probably a more likely than not chance that VT becomes bowl eligible.'

Big 12:

Texas. Has TTU and Baylor left. Highly unlikely they win out to become bowl eligible. Lost to TT - Eliminated

KState: Has Kansas and WVU left. Shouldn't lose to Kansas, but I don't see them getting by WVU.

B1G;
Indiana- has Purdue. Should be a win there.

Nebraska- Iowa. L. Lost to Iowa. - Eliminated

Illinois. Northwestern. L.

Minnesota. Wisconsing..most likely L.

CUSA:

Old Dominion - should become bowl eligible with a win over FAU

MAC:

Buffalo. Lost to umass -Eliminated

Mountain West:

San Jose State- has Boise. I dont see them beating Boise. Lost to Boise - Eliminated

Pac 12:

Washington. Have Wash St next week and should be underdogs in it. Could go either way IMO. – Bowl Eligible

SEC:

Vandy. lost to A&M - ELIMINATED

kentucky- Have Louisville next week. ABout 50/50.

Missouri - Arkansas. Probably most likely loss. -Lost to Arkansas. Eliminated

Sun Belt:

Georgia State: Has to beat GA Southern. Not going to happen.

South Alabama. Needs to go 1-1 vs GA Soutern and App State. Most likely not going to happen.

ULL: Needs to win out vs App State and Troy. Most likely not going to happen.

So there were 19 teams fighting for 9 spots. 6 have been eliminated, 2 have clinched and 11 are still TBD.

Most likely will qualify: 3

Maybe will qualify: 2

Most likely wont qualify: 6

Eliminated: 6

Qualified: 2