Zips @ Arkansas

LoyalZIP

Great game. I remember when our backup PG tried to fill in and couldn't even play 10 minutes without cramping up. Great seeing the stands empty early and Razorback fans melting on Twitter. Before the game tonight, Arkansas won 54 consecutive games at home against unranked non-conference opponents. They were also 40-1 at home under head coach Mike Anderson (only loss was to a ranked Syracuse team).

Hopefully, I can watch the replay if I can get into the watchESPN app tomorrow (do they still archive games for a week?). So I relied on French to bring this one home.

I'll echo everybody on the game Antino had, and the player his is becoming. He and Robotham are on a fast track to being the best backcourt duo in school history. I can't wait to see them together (Williams coming off the bench).

I also have to give praise to Kwan. I questioned if he should continue to be a perimeter oriented big man who relies on threes. He hit two early that set the tone and had the big one late (followed by the mid range jumper) to help seal it. Those four shots were huge.

Arkansas may not be very good this year (though still hanging at 101 in the KenPom rankings after the loss), but that is a very tough place to play, and Akron really outclassed them while extremely short-handed.

BTW, Akron is up to 55 in the KenPom rankings, and a good showing in Philly would probably move Akron up a couple spots even with a loss (Villanova is No. 3). A win and the Zips will jump into the top 25 there (and maybe the AP/coaches polls.)

It's going to be a tough task on Sunday, but regardless, you have to love the direction this team is headed this year and where the program is going. It took longer than some of us have wanted, but KD is building something special.

Also, Akron got some twitter love from Fran Fraschilla. He tweeted it wasn't an upset and KD got a 10 year contract for a reason.

I will add this. This win is getting more attention than normal (mainly in SEC country) because Arkansas lost out on 5-star hometown recruit Malik Monk to Kentucky earlier today. Arkansas fans are in pure meltdown mode on Twitter and Kentucky fans have picked up on it.

It's also funny that at least one person (I'm guessing maybe a Kentucky fan) thinks that Akron has now beaten Arkansas in both football and basketball this year. Hey, lets not correct him.

George Thomas writes about the game.

What an awesome game. I'm still amazed at how Akron players were moving without the ball. I love this new offense!

If our big guys can clean up their work around the rim, things are going to get interesting in Akron this year.

For anybody that missed it live, I highly recommend watching the replay.

Edited by Dr Z

I think Antino showed us a little bit more of what we started to see last year, as he led us through the end of the season and that MAC tourney run. He was simply incredible last night.

Guys, the key now is, where do we go from here? Regardless of the Pomeroy Rankings (Akron 55, Arkansas 101), this will look like a major deal in the eyes of the National sports audience, and that's what matters. All they see is little ole Akron beating a "name" with a rich basketball history. Sunday presents another chance for a much bigger eye opener.

We need to play well again (even if we don't win), avoid ANY "bad losses" this year, and string together a couple of nice conference win streaks, and we have an opportunity to gain legitimate national attention by February.

Any stumbles, and we'll just be viewed as a 20-win MAC team who may or may not get an auto-bid, and continue to be almost unnoticed, nationally.

Does anyone know the status of Ivey and Josh for the Nova game. Josh only played a few minutes so it looked like his injury was still bothering him.

For those individuals who believe that our team plays better with limited substitutions, this is your game. Basically, played a one guard offense most of the night with 6 players. Josh and Aron combined for 17 minutes.

It looks like this team will be taking a lot of 3 pointers again this year. Last year we were 2nd in the nation in 3 point attempts but 141st in percentage made. Last night we shot 46.4% from the 3 line last night. To put that in perspective, last year the number one team in 3 point shooting percentage shot 44.7%. Hopefully, the improved 3 point shooting will continue since we shot 35% last year.

Haven't heard anyone mention that the team will be getting a perfectly timed dose of national basketball exposure, as Sunday's game vs Villanova will be televised nationally on Fox Sports 1, starting I believe at 4:3O in the 3O3 -- 11:3Oam here in the 8O8. A weekend of Akron sports is what America has to look forward to! Too bad no TV soccer coverage.

Fox Sports 1, starting I believe at 4:3O in the 3O3 -- 11:3Oam here in the 8O8. A weekend of Akron sports is what America has to look forward to! Too bad no TV soccer coverage.

Yes, it's on Fox Sports 1. Isn't the 303 in Denver? 330 is Akron. The game is at 4:30 EST.

A couple of photos of last nights game found here at go zips dot com.

Edited by Dr Z

I think the best quote of the night was at the end of the Antino interview when Frenchy said "You'll need to be ready for Jalen Brunson on Sunday" and Antino replied "No. He'd better be ready for me."

I think it's funny and okay to be confident. But something like that is a bit too cocky for a team that has never beaten a ranked team. Ever.

Probably not a good idea to give the #11 team in the nation some extra motivation.

• Like 1