MAC Games 2015-2016

zippyfan34

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

At least this year while not making the NCAA's would be a disappointment at least it will be no worse than the NIT. Glad they put the conference champ rule into effect.

Winning the MAC is the goal and I hope we do it this year.  However, losing in the finals of the MAC and playing in the NIT would not be a bad thing.  We should get 1 or 2 home games bringing in good non conference competition into the Jar.  (a first for the season)  This team could make a run and get to New York whereas the NCAA would be more likely a one and done since we have yet to win a game in this tournament.   

My guess is that if we play in the NIT we'd be a 5 seed. I just don't trust that committee to seed us where we'd play at home without an upset happening somewhere else.. A five is the top seed to play on the road in the first round... interestingly I have seen OSU projected as an NIT 4 seed playing a 5 in Columbus. The NIT committee would probably love that.

Lets just make the NCAA and not worry about it.

Has anyone figured out the perfect seeding scenario for the MAC tournament in regards to Akron? With Akron as the #1 seed, I want the path of least resistance, which means OU, Can't, and CMU on the other side of the bracket if possible.

CMU seems to be a lock for the 2 seed, but three other teams have a 10-7 record, and Buffalo is looming at 9-8.

I don't know how the tiebreakers work after record, then head-to-head. Is it possible for OU/Can't/CMU to be on the other side? Or what would be the absolute perfect tournament bracket for us with 1 game remaining?

I watched a little of Stetson and Lipscomb battling for a spot in the finals of the A-Sun tourney last night.. Akron OOC opponent Lipscomb didn't look like things were going well for them in the portion of their game I watched . Since this was a 6th seed playing a 7th seed in a low raking conference's semifinal I imagine this game wouldn't have a whole lot of impact on the Zips RPI no matter who won. To get there though Lipscomb must have upset the 3 seed in the A-Sun. I guess that is something.

3 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

CMU seems to be a lock for the 2 seed, but three other teams have a 10-7 record, and Buffalo is looming at 9-8.

Does CMU hold tiebreakers over BSU, KSU, and Ohio? I believe they are still seeding regardless of division, right? I thought with an Akron win and an OU win that the Bobcats would lock up the 2 seed but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Does CMU hold tiebreakers over BSU, KSU, and Ohio? I believe they are still seeding regardless of division, right? I thought with an Akron win and an OU win that the Bobcats would lock up the 2 seed but I could be wrong.

According to this, CMU looks to be the 2 seed if they win.

In my opinion, I still can't forget about those decisive losses to Ken+, Toledo and CMU on the road.  And we never got a chance to play two of them at home to see just how good (or bad) we matched up against them. 

We'll know much more about Ken+ tonight.  But, I guess I will always wonder about CMU and Toledo.  So, I have those two at the top of my list of teams I'd love to avoid in Cleveland.  So most importantly, I just don't want to see CMU in the 4 spot, or see Toledo in the 8 spot. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

UALR lost last night. Could that help with possible seeding?

It certainly doesn't hurt. In the bracketology that I've looked at they are still seeded ahead of us, but the Zips will have a far better SOS the rest of the way no matter who the Zips meet up with in the MAC tourney. Perhaps the gap between the 2 resumes have narrowed enough that the Zips could be in a position to leap them.