Jatavis Brown

Blue & Gold

Very nice article by GT on JB1.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/ua-football-linebacker-jatavis-brown-making-a-name-for-himself-as-a-possible-nfl-player-while-leading-zips-defense-1.641311

I didn't realize he just passed Jason Taylor as UA's all-time sack leader.

JB1 :rock:

To be clear, he passed Taylor's single season record of 10, with 10.5. Taylor still holds the career record of 21. Brown has 16.5 right now, I would not be disappointed if he passed Taylors career record either.

I'm not sure if it was a sack, but my favorite play of his was against Toledo. He was in the middle of the field, saw the quarterback take off and he turned and ran him down at the sideline. He was like a heat seeking missile.

This reel has the play against Toledo.

Not only does Jatavis hold the record for sacks, he also holds the record for bench press unless someone has broken it since.

Thats really impressive when you compare his size to some others on the team/the history of the program. He doesn't have that "barrel chest" either where he doesn't have to bring it down very far.

Edited by LZip

I know a team that likes MAC players that needs a safety with a high football IQ. I'm sure they will be at his pro day and have him in for a visit. JB1 projects as a late rounder right now.

NFL prospect Jatavis Brown answers some questions.

What NFL Scouts are saying “He's probably a safety at our level because of his size so we'll see how that transition goes. But I love his speed, the way he plays with violence and just the way he carries himself out there. I know our special teams coach will be excited to get his hands on him.” – AFC North scout

But I love his speed, the way he plays with violence and just the way he carries himself out there.

Me too. What's not to love about this kid? Watching his 360 interview just put a big grin on my face. It saddens me to think that he is at the end of his Zips career and if I had one wish, it would be to fill the stadium on Black Friday to give him the send off he truly deserves.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Jatavis! Well deserved.

I feel like we may have had at least one snub on the All-MAC teams, however. Feel like anyone of Marcus, Pittman, Coe, or Scott could have been on there. Yet our friends over in Can't had 3 1st team selections on defense..

• Like 1

Congrats to Jatavis! Well deserved. I feel like we may have had at least one snub on the All-MAC teams, however. Feel like anyone of Marcus, Pittman, Coe, or Scott could have been on there. Yet our friends over in Can't had 3 1st team selections on defense..

The real reward is an NFL contract. Nobody gets "snubbed" there, if you have talent, the NFL will find you. Remember what Jawon Chisholm said last year about how many pro scouts show up to Akron pro days now that coach Bowden is here? I'm looking forward to the Zips pro day this year.

The real reward is an NFL contract. Nobody gets "snubbed" there, if you have talent, the NFL will find you. Remember what Jawon Chisholm said last year about how many pro scouts show up to Akron pro days now that coach Bowden is here? I'm looking forward to the Zips pro day this year.

Jatavis will definitely be drafted, but I also expect Coe to land with an NFL team. Down the stretch he was almost unstoppable. Should be an active pro day indeed this year.

@CK - those O-Line stats raised my eyebrows a little as well. This unit definitely started to come together as the season wore on. Woodson being a little harder to contain helped out some with the sack total, as did the weaker back end of the schedule. With all those seniors leaving, hopefully it won't take a major dip in 2016.

Edited by johnnyzip84

Interesting note:

The Zips averaged 170.2 yards per game on the ground, 46.5 yards better than last season. Additionally, the Zips rushed for 2,043 total yards, exceeding year's season total of 1,484 (after just 10 games). Akron also allowed nine fewer sacks.

This is a pretty big deal that has garnered very little attention.

Congrats to Jatavis! Well deserved.

I feel like we may have had at least one snub on the All-MAC teams, however. Feel like anyone of Marcus, Pittman, Coe, or Scott could have been on there. Yet our friends over in Can't had 3 1st team selections on defense..

I feel like we definitely got snubbed. Didn't Scott lead the MAC in interceptions? Also agree about Coe, Pittman, and Marcus. Pittman was greatly improved the year over last year, too.

I am really happy to see Brown get this recognition. It was well deserved, indeed.

Edited by zipsoutsider

• 1 month later...