Jatavis Brown

Blue & Gold

London Fletcher was a 4X Pro Bowler out of John Carroll and measured in at 5'10. Not saying Brown will be the next Fletcher as those would be some big shoes to fill, but if some team feels he can ball, they will find a spot for him.

At worst a dude that can run a 4.47 40 with the tackling skills of a linebacker would have to seem like a valuable special teams player.

When making a comparison to someone as great as Ray Lewis, who was 6'-1", I'm just going to guess that NFL talent scouts see a big difference between 6'-1" and 5'-11"

If they didn't, Jatavis is easily a First Round draft pick.  Unfortunately, that height difference is just going to make him have to prove his playing ability in a camp. 

46 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

That height and weight reminds me of another linebacker. He was pretty good.

Not me. Ray was 245 coming out of the U, and ready for the physical NFL game at the line of scrimmage. 

Oddly enough, all three LBs being discussed in this thread come from south Florida...one of coach Bowden's most emphasized recruiting areas. :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Pittsburgh is, which is good to see because it gives our players at least a chance.  The Browns, unfortunately, have gone away from looking at ANY of the local schools for talent.  The Clowns running that organization have forgotten that there are numerous D-I universities in their backyard that shouldn't be hard doing minor scouting at/following players.  JB is the talent you should want to take a risk on, like the steelers have done so many times over the past couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Pittsburgh is, which is good to see because it gives our players at least a chance.  The Browns, unfortunately, have gone away from looking at ANY of the local schools for talent.  The Clowns running that organization have forgotten that there are numerous D-I universities in their backyard that shouldn't be hard doing minor scouting at/following players.  JB is the talent you should want to take a risk on, like the steelers have done so many times over the past couple of years.

In recent years (Akron specific), I can only think of Chisholm getting a chance with Pitt. As for the Browns, seems illogical to judge the current regime based on past regime's actions. Jatavis has or will have a visit with them. Local talent that has played for the Browns right off the top of my head is Charlie Frye, Josh Cribbs, and Abe Elam.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

In recent years (Akron specific), I can only think of Chisholm getting a chance with Pitt. As for the Browns....

The Steelers have had a handful of Zips in camp throughout the years. They are very aware of MAC talent. The Browns once had Chase Blackburn in camp, and let him go. Zach D'Orazio had a tryout with the Browns last year, but didn't catch on. 

I wasn't trying to judge the current Browns staff by the past Browns administrations.  I'm pointing out one of the Problems with the Browns over the last near-two decades.  Why shouldn't they take the change on players in the MAC where as the steelers are?

20 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And this just came out today.  Mayock now has him #5 at his position !!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651172/article/mike-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings-30

But bizarrely in his write-up on him lists him as a day 3 or UDFA. I am certain he will have a NFL job somewhere next year.

Those draft projections are based off of how he feels other teams view him, meanwhile, his position rankings are how he personally views the player. I view this as him saying that Brown will be a late round steal for someone.

Edit: For the record I agree. He will most likely drafted. I'll say around round 4-5. Brown could provide instant impact as a special teams player and he can earn his way into a starting position.

Edited by kreed5120

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MDZip said:

And of course the old "level of competition" knock. Forgot he must have played most of his career at Morehead State. Never faced anyone like Pitt, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan ... 

He will have to improve on his "got swallowed" stat to make it at the next level  :rolleyes:

• Like 1