Jatavis Brown

Blue & Gold

5 hours ago, MDZip said:

And of course the old "level of competition" knock. Forgot he must have played most of his career at Morehead State. Never faced anyone like Pitt, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan ... 

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

He will have to improve on his "got swallowed" stat to make it at the next level  :rolleyes:

+1

+1  I don't ever remember him getting swallowed. If he didn't get the tackle he was always right there about to. Everyone that came to the games with me would say " if someone gets tackled with the ball #1 is right there."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jatavis Brown Relishes Flying Under the Radar

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:02 PM PDT

The situation is a familiar one for Jatavis Brown.

It is also one proven to bring out the best in him.

The majority of talk around the Chargers draft revolved around Joey Bosa andHunter Henry, which is typical for any team’s top two draft picks.  Many also wanted to know about Derek Watt and Drew Kaser, as few fullbacks and punters get selected each season, as well as players from power conferences such as USC’s Max Tuerk, Ohio State’s Joshua Perry and Michigan State’s Donavon Clark.

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/05/31/jatavis-brown-relishes-flying-under-radar

jatavishero.jpg

• 1 month later...

Brown with some 1st team reps it ILB due to an injury today

Denzel Perryman did not practice today but in his place at Inside linebacker was Nick Dzubnar and Jatavis Brown, with Dzubnar getting the bulk of the looks between them. Dzubnar is the "veteran" who knows the system so it's not a shock that he's getting the nod but if Jatavis Brown keeps playing like he does, Brown will jump Dzubnar on the depth chart in no time. Not to say Nick Dzubnar has played bad, Brown flashes with more playing time. Pagano sent Brown on a blitz and he blew threw the line so fast he met Clemens for a sack at the top of his 3 step drop. He was playing downhill all day. 

• Like 6

On 8/2/2016 at 8:49 PM, K92 said:

He has real GZOAT potential.  Time will tell if he claims that mantle.

Regardless of that, he is my FZOAT.

I love JB and his game, but it will be hard for anyone to surpass Jason Taylor in my opinion. I mean to be the GZOAT, wouldn't that mean you have to be one of the best players in NFL history? Again, just my opinion, but we might need to pump the brakes a little here - Jason Taylor is 6th all-time in sacks.

4 hours ago, akron4ever said:

I love JB and his game, but it will be hard for anyone to surpass Jason Taylor in my opinion. I mean to be the GZOAT, wouldn't that mean you have to be one of the best players in NFL history? Again, just my opinion, but we might need to pump the brakes a little here - Jason Taylor is 6th all-time in sacks.

I realize a player's pro career impacts the status of their college career.  I think Jatavis' college career is more impressive than Jason's already.  If JB can carve out a legitimate NFL career, I think he goes to GZOAT in a lot of people's books.  I think it is safe to say that JT is secure in his title of GPZOAT, though.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Hopefully JB doesn't forget his roots. I must say that I've been a bit jealous that players like Edelman, Cribbs, and Harrison are still connected with that university down the road, meanwhile, when is the last time Jason Taylor stepped foot on Akron's campus?

Wasn't he here last fall?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/04/chargers-denzel-perryman-injury-nick-dzubnar/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"He's a gym rat," McCoy said. "He loves to play football. He's going to have a big role on this team, whether it's in the kicking game or on defense. He's going to get better every day. He's going to make some mistakes, but the one thing is when he makes mistakes, he's going full speed. I love his work ethic, attitude and the way he approaches the game."

14 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Hopefully JB doesn't forget his roots. I must say that I've been a bit jealous that players like Edelman, Cribbs, and Harrison are still connected with that university down the road, meanwhile, when is the last time Jason Taylor stepped foot on Akron's campus?

I know a few (athletic) administrations ago, I was told JT was financially involved in the program.

I was unable to attend this years spring game, but I took this photo of some Zip SB winners the previous year. 

zipsspring_April%2018,%202015_07.jpg

Can fifth-rounder Jatavis Brown help defense in year one? (source pff)

The defensive player the PFF team was most looking forward to watching on Wednesday was rookie linebacker Jatavis Brown (Akron), but unfortunately he also had the day off. Brown is an undersized defender who does everything well, and does it quickly. Last season, Brown was one of our highest-graded FBS linebackers and graded positively as a run-defender, pass-rusher, and in coverage. Brown has seen some first-team reps during camp already, and we believe he can make an impact as a nickel linebacker. Second-year ILB Denzel Perryman was a highly-effective run defender during the last half of the 2015 season, so perhaps he will stay on the field in base defense, and Brown can substitute in as the nickel backer. The Chargers’ linebacker rotation will be an area to watch as the preseason progresses.

1 pm Wed 8/17 you can DVR Chargers 1st preseason game on the NFL channel.