Villanova

zippy_ua_00

Here is a little Q&A Hustlebelt did with Nova's blog.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketball/2015/11/20/9767256/akron-zips-vs-villanova-wildcats-preview-nit-season-tip-off

They have a 5* freshman PG in Jalen Brunson. That ought to be a fun match up with him and Tino. It seems like so far this season, Ochefu is their go to guy. Will likely be another good matchup between him and Pat. Hopefully Pat can stay out of foul trouble or it could spell doom early. Nova played ETSU last night and stomped them as you would expect. ETSU came into the season 2-0...with a win over Green Bay, our next opponent.

Can't wait for the game. Lets go Zips!

Edited by LZip

Watched the game last night. They are damn good.

BUT, looking at the roster, we do match up well against them, height seems to go a bit in our favor. Their center is the same hbeight as Pat, but has a long wingspan and can JUMP.

So in the end this will be a contest of the guards, we should be able to hold our own in the front court BUT

WE HAVE TO REBOUND> This is a very very strong rebounding team.

My hope is that we can stay competitive in the first half. Do not want to see a repeat of the VCU game where we are out of it after the first half. I agree with skip-zip that we have to shoot well, especially the 3 ball.

It was interesting reading the Nova blog where they depend too much on the 3 ball and noted they were 17th in the country shooting the 3 ball. We were 2nd in the country last year shooting the 3 ball so there should be a lot of outside shooting tomorrow. That means we need to rebound well to stay in the game.

I do not know if we are athletic or quick enough to stay with Nova. Can Reggie, Kwan and Kretzer keep their men from attacking the rim. Can Pat and Big Dog control the boards? I think athletic guys like Utomi and Ivey will help us in games like this in the future since both guys look very quick and athletic.

This wouldn't be the biggest upset in the history of college basketball, but it would be pretty monumental with only having, at best 1.5 guards. The Zips got away with it against Arkansas, but this team is a lot better than Arkansas, especially at the guard position.

Unfortunately, Villanova has the depth that they are going to go in with the thoughts of harrassassing Antino all game long. They will do that with Brunson, Ryan Arcidianoco, Josh Hart and Phil Booth, who are all athletic and in the 6-3 to 6-5 range. To have any chance, Antino is going to have to again be almost superhuman.

But if they can swarm Antino and disrupt the offense, the Zips, right now, have nobody else who can create for themselves or break down a defense to set up others for open looks. I think Jay Wright recognizes that Antino is the key to slowing down the Zips, and he has the players that can do it (even if it takes a combo of four different guys).

On the bright side, Antino proved he can play all 40 minutes, and he got stronger as the Arkansas game went along. So, maybe he can take on this huge task and, even if he doesn't necessarily look to score, break down the defense enough to set up open looks. Like others have said, knocking down open looks, especially from 3 is going to be a must. IMO, the Zips have to knock down 10 and be around 40 percent in doing that. Again, a lot to ask, but something they are capable of.

Also, like others have said, rebounding is also going to be huge. The Zips have to limit second chances.

If they can somehow do all that, then they have a shot at the upset.

I'm realistically going into this game, with the Zips situation in the backcourt being what it is, hoping to be within 10 with 10 remaining. If they can do that, they would have a shot down the stretch, but even if Nova would pull away (which they probably would), the Zips could walk away with a moral victory.

Moral victories suck, but Villanova is good enough where they can beat any team in college basketball, who are at full strength, at home. As good as this Akron team is, they aren't elite, nor are they remotely at full strength.

Also, anybody hear anything on Josh? I heard KD mention in the Arkansas pregame he was only at 30 percent. Hopefully, he can at least be at 60 or so percent and tough out 15 or so solid minutes. Another tough thing to ask for a true freshman, but something the Zips will have to get to have a shot.

My expectations for this are what everyone hear has already stated. Huge hypothetical here, but if we beat Villanova, could this be the best weekend in Akron athletics history(i know...other than the soccer national championship)?

Akron football goes bowl-eligible
Akron men's basketball beats #11 Villanova
Akron men's soccer beats Rutgers in 2nd round of NCAA tournament

Even a men's soccer win and a close loss to Villanova, I would consider it a great Akron sports weekend!!!!

Edited by mes102

I can honestly say that I am just about as geeked for this one as I was for our recent NCAA tourney games, A win here puts us on the national map very early in the season . While that is a longshot, I do expect us to compete and compete well. This team has the "it" factor, high character guys that have belief in their abilities and trust in their teammates. Here is a brief preview I dug up :from one Taylor Bechtold who writes for the website stats.com.

Although his Wildcats are playing up to high expectations, Villanova coach Jay Wright realizes that could easily change in a quick turnaround against a tough foe.

As the 11th-ranked Wildcats seek their 27th straight home victory, Akron will try to extend its best start in 35 years Sunday with another upset in the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Much is expected of Villanova after it brought back Josh Hart, Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu from a team that won 33 games, the Big East regular-season and tournament titles and added highly touted Jalen Brunson.

The Wildcats haven't disappointed, winning their first three by an average of 32.0 points. They've shot 48.7 percent while their pressing defense has helped force 17.3 turnovers and limit opponents to a 32.2 field-goal percentage.

Kris Jenkins led the way with 17 points Friday, Phil Booth added 16 off the bench and Ochefu contributed 12 and 16 rebounds in an 86-51 home win over East Tennessee State in the preliminary round of the Tip-Off. Ochefu leads six players averaging double-digit points with 15.0 to go with 12.0 boards after his third straight double-double.

"I'm happy with the wins of course," said Ochefu, who has led the Wildcats to a plus-7.0 rebounding margin. "Just like coach said, we have to get better every day with our defense and rebounding. That's a challenge we're going to have all season."

Villanova would like to keep that mindset as it faces an Akron team that certainly won't be intimidated after shooting 50.9 percent - including 13 of 28 from 3-point range - in an 88-80 win over Arkansas in its opening-round game Wednesday.

The Zips (3-0) are one of only five teams with at least 21 wins in each of the past 10 seasons and they appear well on their way to another during their best start since attaining Division I status in 1980-81. They've beaten a team from a Power 5 conference in each of the past five seasons and are 3-2 in those matchups over the last two.

"This is an outstanding team coming in here off a big win at Arkansas," Wright told the team's official website. "We've been in this position before of playing two games in three days, but it's a new experience for our young guys."

Akron's Antino Jackson led the way with a career-high 23 points and seven assists against the Razorbacks, while Reggie McAdams scored 18 and Isaiah Johnson 15 off the bench. McAdams has gone 10 for 17 from beyond the arc over the first three games.

The Zips also have been strong defensively, limiting opponents to 54.3 points on 28.4 percent shooting - including 14 for 68 (20.9 percent) from 3-point range.

The Wildcats led the Big East in 3-point shooting at 38.9 percent in 2014-15, but went 19 for 66 (28.8) in their first two games before improving Friday. Starting guards Brunson, Hart and Arcidiacono hit 6 of 7 to help Villanova go 14 for 34 (41.2).

After halting Arkansas' 25-game home winning streak against nonconference opponents, the Zips will try to deal Villanova its first home defeat since January 2014.

"We are big and strong, which most mid-majors are not, and we feel we can play at this level," coach Keith Dambrot told the team's official website.

This is the first meeting between the schools.

Updated November 21, 2015