Game 12—Can't State (Black Frye-day)

lance99

I'm sure Bowden is glad there was no Gatorade bath today!

I saw him get a nice Gatorade bath. Well deserved. First game of the year for me and it was total domination. Great to watch the few Can't fans leave early in disgust. Anyone have a number for attendance? got there too late to get a bobble head.

Bahamas Bowl was the talk all morning. And we had already been making arrangements earlier in the week to get the passports. I don't know how that may have changed with the big win, but Terry must know what he was talking about with a statement about us likely getting a choice.

As far as the game....

We were not impressive offensively, but I love that we worked on the running game, and did well. But more importantly, I think the offense and the coaches did a fantastic job of "Managing The Game" in a situation where it seemed as if their opponent was likely not going to do much when they had the ball. All we had to do was possess the ball, put some points on the board, and not give them any field position. Mission Accomplished.

Interesting reading the comments over at the Can't Board. :screwks: Lots of comments about the poor video coming from Akron games, I only watched one Akron home football game not at the stadium this year and the streaming was gorgeous on ESPN3...perhaps this needs to be added to the JAR like problems.

Side note, I also love the "Akron is in financial trouble" coments, they made me :rofl::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks:

The Wagon Wheel gets a mention on College Game Day but nothing about the outcome.

I was watching a recording of Sports Zone last night and Bernie Kosar gave a shout out congratulating coach Bowden. I thought it was cool that he was aware of the Zips achievements this season.

Interesting reading the comments over at the Can't Board. :screwks: Lots of comments about the poor video coming from Akron games, I only watched one Akron home football game not at the stadium this year and the streaming was gorgeous on ESPN3...perhaps this needs to be added to the JAR like problems.

Side note, I also love the "Akron is in financial trouble" coments, they made me :rofl::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks:

There were legitimate streaming issues yesterday, but it had nothing to do with Akron. It had to do with that crappy American Sports Network that the MAC is contracted with/ESPN outsources to.

Sidenote: I took a look over there and the whole can't read, can't write thing holds water. Those guys are not knowledgeable.

• Like 2

We were not impressive offensively, but I love that we worked on the running game, and did well. But more importantly, I think the offense and the coaches did a fantastic job of "Managing The Game" in a situation where it seemed as if their opponent was likely not going to do much when they had the ball. All we had to do was possess the ball, put some points on the board, and not give them any field position. Mission Accomplished.

A few thoughts

• Bowden had noted that he believed Can't State had the best pass defense in the MAC in his Tue press conference. If that is true, I thought the offense was able to move the ball, "well enough" to win, which was the ultimate goal. The whole second half clock management was like a work of art. Yes, penalties factored into it, but we took advantage of them without falling apart, and I am not sure we would have been able to to pull that off during the first part of the season.
  • Hats off to another better improved performance by the O-line. This unit and the secondary have really come a long way this season.
  • I was really hoping for a shutout and even though the offense was a big contributor to that, it was a fine tribute to the Zips defense.
  • Tommy Woodson put on another fine display of leadership. It seems as though his energy level and ability to have fun (granted, easier when winning) have been highlights of the last two games. I loved how he took off after that Wagon Wheel as time expired.
  • I enjoyed seeing a "Z fence" in the crowd. That's something the University should push forward. Very clever.
  • Not only was the band bigger and louder, they really made a difference when it came to cheering for the game this year. I loved how they would finish off a song singing it when they had to stop playing.
  • Let me reiterate: first promo of 2016 should be a rain poncho. Let an insurance company sponsor it with a "We've got you covered" theme.
  • If you don't make your way down for either the Roo Walk or the post game walk to the field house, you are missing out.
  • No doubt about it, TB has turned this ship around. He said games that mattered would be won and lost in November, and dadgumit, he got that right. (bobblehead jiggle.)
  • Like 3

Charlie Frye working for the Florida Gators. Nice story by Marla in the ABJ.

Frye wanted more, so he started his own consulting business, Frye Football. This summer he met new University of Florida coach Jim McElwain, the former Colorado State coach and Alabama offensive coordinator. Frye left the Zips’ game at halftime to catch a flight back to Gainesville, Fla., where the Gators host Florida State Saturday night. Frye helps with quarterbacks, especially their “mental conditioning,” along with player development work involving local charities. McElwain tweeted his congratulations to Frye along with the hashtag “IWantABobbleheadPlease.”

If it hasn't been mentioned before, one of the most impressive things to watch yesterday was Zach Paul hitting back to back (due to offsetting penalties) rugby-style punts to the goal-line late in the game. Both punts were perfect, but the second one was amazing to watch hit, spin, and stick right at the goal-line. Awesome. It was great to see players off the bench come out to congratulate the special teams. This team really seems to have fun with each other.

Edited by Dr Z

Charlie Frye working for the Florida Gators. Nice story by Marla in the ABJ.

Frye wanted more, so he started his own consulting business, Frye Football. This summer he met new University of Florida coach Jim McElwain, the former Colorado State coach and Alabama offensive coordinator. Frye left the Zips game at halftime to catch a flight back to Gainesville, Fla., where the Gators host Florida State Saturday night. Frye helps with quarterbacks, especially their mental conditioning, along with player development work involving local charities. McElwain tweeted his congratulations to Frye along with the hashtag IWantABobbleheadPlease.

Great stuff .... Maybe some local mentoring at UA Would be cool !!

Edited by Dr Z