MAC Coaching Changes

tpsjugglerdude

Demand based on what?

Demand to create a good football team so that universities can enjoy the benefits that come along with it including increase in donations and revenue, increase in enrollment, free advertising, better school pride. When those students graduate, they remain engaged alumni, which leads to more donations and ticket sales.

Looking at attendance alone- Say average attendance goes from 10,000 to 20,000 with an average ticket sale of $20. All pretty reasonable numbers for a lowly G5 program. 10000 x 20 x 6 is a $1,200,000 increase in revenue/year. That means a university could afford to pay their HC an extra $1m/year (not that they should, but just to prove my point) and they would still have a net benefit. What about money spent at the stadium? I usually spend more on food/drink than I do my ticket. The profit margin on those are huge with the markup and a decent amount of free labor (student groups work the concession stands all the time).This is ONLY including attendance, and not other benefits I listed above.

Good talent is worth paying to acquire/retain. Take note, MAC, and especially Akron. I feel like I just gave the U a free cost/benefit analysis. Who do I send the bill to? Larry?

Edited by LZip

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2015 at 11:50 AM, tpsjugglerdude said:

Matt Campbell is leaving Toledo to take the Iowa State job. The MAC is losing a great coach. Interesting that Toledo beat Iowa State earlier this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he has them ranked for their 2017 visit to Akron.

Hopefully we will be ranked also :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

this is rich. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2018/10/14/college-football-bowling-green-state-university-mike-jinks-david-briggs/stories/20181014165?abnpageversion=evoke

Also - BG reportedly can't get any donors to cover the buy-out. Coming out of the Athletic Department's pocket.

That guy is like I-Coach.  Destroyed the program.

6 hours ago, NWAkron said:

That guy is like I-Coach.  Destroyed the program.

Eerily similar situation...the hiring AD is no longer an AD and now works for a sports marketing company.

http://www.sent-trib.com/sports/bgsu-ad-chris-kingston-resigns/article_1d6fa0ba-ffe5-11e5-a284-179ea5d15988.html

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 4:15 PM, LZIp said:

Jake Spatival to Texas State, JMU's coach to Charlotte. We could very well be missing the boat here with this rescheduled game. Our only hope could be to can Milwee by next season.

Milwee is not the only problem. Williams MAY be trying to let Bowden go out on his own terms. Just a guess. But,I keep seeing this just get rid of Milwee stuff and everything will be OK.  Don't we think that if Bowden thought Milwee was 'THE" problem and the reason the offense has been so awful that he wouldn't have 'replaced' him long ago? Are we saying Bowden is keeping Milwee in place even if by doing so it is costing the team wins?

Here is hoping that Williams does have a list and has a couple of prospects still on the radar.

4 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Milwee is not the only problem. Williams MAY be trying to let Bowden go out on his own terms. Just a guess. But,I keep seeing this just get rid of Milwee stuff and everything will be OK.  Don't we think that if Bowden thought Milwee was 'THE" problem and the reason the offense has been so awful that he wouldn't have 'replaced' him long ago? Are we saying Bowden is keeping Milwee in place even if by doing so it is costing the team wins?

Here is hoping that Williams does have a list and has a couple of prospects still on the radar.

I don't think anyone is saying we are going to automatically dominate the MAC if Milwee is replaced, but there is no denying he is a large part of the problem and it's highly likely that almost anyone they would bring in would at least be an improvement.

I personally was willing to give Milwee the benefit of the doubt heading into this season as this is a process and the only time we really have had talented weapons on offense during his time here was the year we ended the season with a WR at QB (yes that is his fault as well). Our big time transfer RB also couldn't stay healthy in his two seasons.  Its extremely possible that Bowden could have had the same thought pattern. 

What I'm saying is it's clear to me that Milwee is now a problem. We have talented players on offense and our offense has not produced all season. I can live with giving Bowden a chance to make it right and make the change. I can't live with Bowden refusing to make a change now that there is no denying there is  an issue. Nepotism runs rampant in football, for better or worse.

38 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Bowden will be relieved of duty, or “retire” following the UA board meeting Wednesday, if I had to bet.  Takers?  A Natty Light at the JAR?

I said earlier that Williams just may be trying to allow a historically solid coach like Bowden go out on his own terms. One would assume that Williams is seriously considering making a change. But,far stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I don't think anyone is saying we are going to automatically dominate the MAC if Milwee is replaced, but there is no denying he is a large part of the problem and it's highly likely that almost anyone they would bring in would at least be an improvement.

I personally was willing to give Milwee the benefit of the doubt heading into this season as this is a process and the only time we really have had talented weapons on offense during his time here was the year we ended the season with a WR at QB (yes that is his fault as well). Our big time transfer RB also couldn't stay healthy in his two seasons.  Its extremely possible that Bowden could have had the same thought pattern. 

What I'm saying is it's clear to me that Milwee is now a problem. We have talented players on offense and our offense has not produced all season. I can live with giving Bowden a chance to make it right and make the change. I can't live with Bowden refusing to make a change now that there is no denying there is  an issue. Nepotism runs rampant in football, for better or worse.

Just for purposes of discussion,if the AD goes to Bowden and says Milwee has to go if you want to stay(not in so many words mind you) what happens? I honestly don't think thats the way MOST AD's or head coaches would want to operate. But who knows? And,what if Bowden says 'I'll make the change as long as I can pick the guy I want'?  Pure speculation.

• Like 1