MAC Coaching Changes

tpsjugglerdude

Hustlebelt ranked how painful it would be for each MAC team to lose their football coach this year (and measuring how devastating it would be to the fan base). They said WMU, CMU, Buffalo and EMU should be very concerned if that happens but they listed only one program that should be in total meltdown mode.

Tier Four: TOTAL MELTDOWN

Akron- Terry Bowden (18-31)

At 7-5 the Zips have their first winning season in a decade. Meaning I finished middle school, went to high school, graduated, got accepted to college, received a diploma and found my first real job before Akron made it back to a bowl game. That's a long stretch of futility only EMU can possibly relate to. But it all changes this year. The Zips are going bowling and can publicly admit to having a football team without shame. And what a shame it would be to have this all come crashing down. Bowden isn't realistically going anywhere, but could you imagine the destruction that would befall the athletic department at Ohio's polytechnic university?

Akron is not an attractive landing spot for new hires. It has a history of limited success and a less than stellar track record on the recruiting trail. Right now Terry Bowden is doing the impossible and could be a few offensive weapons away from being a real threat to Bowling Green's dominion over the MAC East. The Zips have few places to turn if Bowden no longer leads the way.

• Like 2

And in another conference:

Miami: Peter Ariz of CanesInsight is reporting that Mark Richt is expected to be named the new head coach at Miami. We have not heard or seen any confirmation. We will update once we have or see any further information

I don't get it. Is the expectation that the ACC is an easier conference for him to win in?

Toledo just hired Jason Candle as head coach to replace Matt Campbell. Candle was the OC under Campbell and the players were outspoken that he was the guy they wanted.

Toledo has a pattern of staying in-house when hiring a new head coach. When Gary Pinkel left for Missouri, his DC, Tom Amstutz, got the job. When Tim Beckman left for Illinois, his OC, Matt Campbell, got the job. Campbell and Candle are both Mount Union guys mentored by Larry Kehres.

Reading this, I was surprised that Tulane is an upgrade over MAC level schools. They're willing to start at a $1.7 million salary, so it's not really even close.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread I think. It's a shame that other G5 programs can offer their coaches a much higher salary than the MAC can.

As for Bowden having legitimate interest...who knows, but I would lean towards it not being true. I wouldn't see them turning down Nutt.

For what they're willing to pay, I bet every MAC/SunBelt/C-USA/MWC coach with any success has privately expressed interest in the job.

Its not just Tulane though. O'Leary was making 1.89 million in base at UCF. New HC, Scott Frost, is making 1.7 million in base and he has never been a HC in his life.

The MAC needs to get it in gear.