South Point Classic, Las Vegas

GJGood

What do most of you expect from the UCSB and Iona matchups in Las Vegas?

Will there be any way to watch the games, either on TV or streaming online?

What will the impact of going home for a few days have on Noah Robotham and his game?

Just some questions to get some conversation started.

Unimpressive - Part #1

Unimpressive - Part #2

Mediocre mid-majors.

It will be interesting to see if there is any degree of separation between us and them.

If our string of 20+ win seasons means anything, we should win both games against this level of competition, especially on a neutral court.

Hope Noah has a nice homecoming.

• Like 1

Iona may have had lackluster results so far but they were still highly regarded coming into the year and AJ English is one of the best scorers in the country (46 in a game earlier this year). They are still a dangerous team.

I believe that the Zips are better than both of these teams, but we know how little that normally means. Just ask Green Bay (who could be worse than both Iona and UCSB). But as long as we come to play I see these as two very nice momentum games going into conference play.

There is not much for me to get excited about with the Zips anymore. It's like groundhog day.

I am getting bored

Maybe you'd like some losing seasons to "mix it up" a bit? I see no reason why a Zips fan wouldn't be excited about this team. We have the potential to win over 25 games this year and I'm truly sorry if that is not enough for you.

• Like 1

I just want them to take the next step.. They have been a good MAC team ... I think they can do more

Yes, i do agree with you there. I think the program really could and should take the next step soon. I just don't think the consistent success we've been having is anything to take for granted.

At this point in the season -- and perhaps in general -- RPI is based on Strength of Schedule. UCSB has played four PAC-12 teams, the best of them Cal, and has lost all by double digits except @ Arizona State, a 70-68 defeat. As I mentioned on the tournament thread, I know them well from the BWC, and they lost their only dominant player, "Big Al" Williams to graduation. He was two-time national rebounding leader, and a strong rim defender. This UCSB team has 10 freshmen! The two returners who can be trouble are both big guards (6-5 and 6-3). John Green, the 6-5 guard is athletic enough to score 15-20 pts most nights and is a good stand-up shooter. The same is true of Gabe Vincent, who scored about 25 vs Hawaii last year -- those guys are both very streaky shooters, who can stretch the floor to 20 ft. Since I haven't seen them (don't know how they haven't been on PAC-12 Net) this year, I can't really comment on any of the double-digit newcomers. UCSB's always a well coached team. Bob Williams has been the coach since Coleman Crawford was at the JAR. One more thing for those visiting to remember: If the Gaucho Locos head to Vegas for the Holidays, duck when the Gauchos score, because the tradition is to throw tortillas whenever they score a goal!

Iona Gaels? They look form the sked like they would be below UCSB in rank -- and I don't think either of these teams could make the top half of the MAC.