South Point Classic, Las Vegas

GJGood

That's not true, you can play a few minutes early in the season and still keep a redshirt. If he wasn't being redshirted, he'd have played more than 4 total minutes thus far, no?

"12.8.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport"

NCAA By-Laws

I agree with Hilltopper. KD has been at this for many years, and hes on the NCAA rules committee. He knows what hes doing.

I also found this, .In Division I, a student-athlete can apply for a hardship waiver if a season-ending injury or illness occurs in the first half of the season. The student-athlete, however, must not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent (whichever is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests. The season consists of at least 33 games so half season is defined by no less than 15 games.

Edited by infofan

ZippyRulz, Green Bay actually doesn't sponsor a football team so there is no chance that they make the jump to the MAC. The team to consider would be JMU. They have an FBS caliber stadium, a decent football program (by fcs standards), and a basketball program that can contend in the MAC from day 1. They are also most importantly looking to make the jump to FBS. They turned down an offer from the sun belt, but rumor has it that they would accept a C-USA or MAC invitation if offered.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

For Utomi, while yes, a second played "burns" a redshirt, there are ways around it, and KD will have a strong case. Remember when Daniel went in the first time, it was at the end of the Villanova game. That game, Pat left early and Kretzer late due to what seemed like potential long-term injuries (broken rib, rapid heart). The Zips were already without Noah and Jimond Ivey.

While the RS was technically burned, its something that can be revisited after the season, and the NCAA will probably agree that it was legit under the circumstances and give him the year back.

Unless it has become more cut and dried the past couple years, without having a specific case to source, I know I've seen instances of guys playing in 3-4 early season games and still getting a RS granted.

Anyway, I think KD knew what he was doing, and at the time, it was putting Utomi in not knowing if he would legitimately be needed this year. As it turns out, he hasn't been so far, but I doubt the 4 minutes he has played affects his overall standing. that will change if he plays again. But for now, lets assume he still will have four more years after this one.

Akron's RPI jumped 17 spots tonight. UCSB's win was a big part of that.

Up to 45 in KenPom. UCSB has almost played a Pac 12 schedule to this point. Them also beating an Iona team that will begin to win alot of games should really pay off for the Zips.

But let's not talk at large. This team is going to lose at least a couple MAC games. They aren't that far in front of 8-9 teams that can beat them in league play.

The goal has to be on winning in Cleveland, that's it. Sorry, any leeway went out the window by losing to Villanova. Of course, maybe Arkansas tears up the SEC to change it, but Arkansas is an borderline bubble team at best. And if they get on the bubble, it will probably be at Akron's expense, despite the H2H win.

For Utomi, while yes, a second played "burns" a redshirt, there are ways around it, and KD will have a strong case. Remember when Daniel went in the first time, it was at the end of the Villanova game. That game, Pat left early and Kretzer late due to what seemed like potential long-term injuries (broken rib, rapid heart). The Zips were already without Noah and Jimond Ivey.

While the RS was technically burned, its something that can be revisited after the season, and the NCAA will probably agree that it was legit under the circumstances and give him the year back.

Unless it has become more cut and dried the past couple years, without having a specific case to source, I know I've seen instances of guys playing in 3-4 early season games and still getting a RS granted.

Anyway, I think KD knew what he was doing, and at the time, it was putting Utomi in not knowing if he would legitimately be needed this year. As it turns out, he hasn't been so far, but I doubt the 4 minutes he has played affects his overall standing. that will change if he plays again. But for now, lets assume he still will have four more years after this one.

A waiver could be granted in that case if Utomi was the one who was injured. He was not. Besides, Utomi also played at the end of the Charleston Southern game as well.

Edited by zippyman23

A waiver could be granted in that case if Utomi was the one who was injured. He was not. Besides, Utomi also played at the end of the Charleston Southern game as well.

You can bet your ass this season counts as a redshirt year for Utomi unless he gets significant playing time down the road. KD isn't stupid.

You can bet your ass this season counts as a redshirt year for Utomi unless he gets significant playing time down the road. KD isn't stupid.

I have posted the NCAA rules on this and it won't count as redshirt. Not sure what more you need.

KD isn't stupid and KD has never mentioned a plan to redshirt him. There are plenty of reasons to potentially explain his lack of playing time. Not sure why people insist on one that for all intents and purposes, isn't possible under NCAA rules.

• Like 1