Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

Nationally and internationally, organizations expend much effort to manage the media. Knowing that UA is one of the principal games left in Akron, it's very likely that UA leaders have done nothing, certainly nothing effective, to massage and manage the media. If the local rag, that locals call the Leaking Urinal, can't be managed and influenced to publish positive news and editorial content supportive of one of the principal institutions in town, your principal worry is not with the rag, but need instead be with the leadership of the university. Something is very wrong with the Scar and Company if they can't create advocates a few blocks over. You guys are looking at this the wrong way.

Yeah, but it's been like this for years. Not this negative, but definitely negligent.

Yeah, but it's been like this for years. Not this negative, but definitely negligent.

Unfortunately it has become increasingly apparent that the ABJ has been slowly and steadily degenerating into self defeating irrelevancy since it changed publishing companies in 2006 from the Akron founded publishing company Knight-Ridder to a Canadian publishing company called Black Press. It is really sad to see because it was once a quality publication consisting of journalistic integrity and some modicum of civic pride. But on a positive note, the free bi-monthly arts, culture, and music publication, The Devil Strip, does a good job of showcasing the emerging vibrancy of downtown Akron and a lot of really cool events going on in the city as well as the surrounding metro area.

Anyway, to get back on topic... The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is a really big deal. It has been TEN YEARS. I am EXTREMELY excited about this game!! I am also very optimistic and excited about the future of Akron Football!!

I think Utah State is better than their record indicates and will be a tough out, but it should be a very good game. I think this one will come down to the secondary's ability to limit the Aggies' passing attack, our ability to run the ball effectively and our ability to connect on some of those deep throws.

Also, since it's in Boise, I hope Cody Grice scores the game winner on a statue of liberty play at the goal line. :)

Edited by ZippyforPresident

Unfortunately it has become increasingly apparent that the ABJ has been slowly and steadily degenerating into self defeating irrelevancy since it changed publishing companies in 2006 from the Akron founded publishing company Knight-Ridder to a Canadian publishing company called Black Press. It is really sad to see because it was once a quality publication consisting of journalistic integrity and some modicum of civic pride. But on a positive note, the free bi-monthly arts, culture, and music publication, The Devil Strip, does a good job of showcasing the emerging vibrancy of downtown Akron and a lot of really cool events going on in the city as well as the surrounding metro area.

Anyway, to get back on topic... The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is a really big deal. It has been TEN YEARS. I am EXTREMELY excited about this game!! I am also very optimistic and excited about the future of Akron Football!!

I think Utah State is better than their record indicates and will be a tough out, but it should be a very good game. I think this one will come down to the secondary's ability to limit the Aggies' passing attack, our ability to run the ball effectively and our ability to connect on some of those deep throws.

Also, since it's in Boise, I hope Cody Grice scores the game winner on a statue of liberty play at the goal line. :)

Hate to say it but this is a 'duh'. The BJ was a fairly well respected paper in the '50's'60's and '70's. Thats when Knight-Ridder controlled the paper. Since then the actual news reporting has become third rate. Not really concerned about the sports reporting,that has not been worth the price of the paper for more than 20 years. If people still look to the BJ for ANY kind of news ...oh my!.

I hope some, actually all, of you who posted your disdain for that horrible article from the BJ, took a moment to email the writer, cwebb@thebeaconjournal.com. I wasn't happy with Marla Ridenour's negative slant to the Zips Mens Soccer team's preformance in the College Cup semi-final, and courteously let her know in an email. We have a lot of which to be proud this year, and our hometown newspaper needs to join us.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Pete Fiutak does a pretty nice job previewing the game at campus insiders. (for video preview click link)

What’s Going To Happen? The Mountain West has dominated the MAC in the last three Potato Bowls, but this one should be a bit of a slugfest. Akron’s defense is too good and too disciplined to let this get out of hand, but the Utah State defense should go back to its old form against a middling Zip attack that won’t go anywhere. Don’t expect any type of a pretty game, but enjoy fantastic linebacker play and a low-scoring battle that should stay close well into the fourth.

Keeton Looking Forward to Playing in Second Bowl.

Although Keeton is likely to start against Akron on Dec. 22 at Albertsons Stadium, USU head coach Matt Wells apparently wants to keep the Zips guessing. When asked on Monday what the status of Keeton and sophomore quarterback Can't Myers is heading into USU’s season finale, Wells replied, “They are both very healthy, they both have been practicing very well and there’s a pretty good chance you’re going to see both of them. They’re both going to have a role.

USU's linebacker Nick Vigil is the only player at the FBS level to record at least nine tackles in every game this season.

Edited by Dr Z

If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks, IMO. Not that both aren't talented. Based on stats, it doesn't look like Keaton has played that well when he has played this season. I just think a two QB system takes away valuable reps from the true #1, especially when they both seem like the same type of player.

If you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks, IMO. Not that both aren't talented. Based on stats, it doesn't look like Keaton has played that well when he has played this season. I just think a two QB system takes away valuable reps from the true #1, especially when they both seem like the same type of player.

They have one quarterback. They just don't want TB to know who it is.

• Like 2

Keeton Looking Forward to Playing in Second Bowl.

Although Keeton is likely to start against Akron on Dec. 22 at Albertsons Stadium, USU head coach Matt Wells apparently wants to keep the Zips guessing. When asked on Monday what the status of Keeton and sophomore quarterback Can't Myers is heading into USU’s season finale, Wells replied, “They are both very healthy, they both have been practicing very well and there’s a pretty good chance you’re going to see both of them. They’re both going to have a role.

Pure Coach speak ........... A Popular Senior on his way out ? I think we will see him most of the game

They have one quarterback. They just don't want TB to know who it is.

Both QB's have started in and won bowl games (Keeton in the 2012 Potato Bowl and Myers in the 2014 New Mexico Bowl). At 100%, Chuckie is the better QB and it's not even close. His stats may not match up to Myer's in certain areas but Chuckie has played better competition (Utah,Washington, BYU vs CSU, Fresno and other MW teams). I would be shocked if Chuckie doesn't start but we will probably see Myers come in as well in certain situations...not really a 2 QB system but more situational stuff.

Both QB's have started in and won bowl games (Keeton in the 2012 Potato Bowl and Myers in the 2014 New Mexico Bowl). At 100%, Chuckie is the better QB and it's not even close. His stats may not match up to Myer's in certain areas but Chuckie has played better competition (Utah,Washington, BYU vs CSU, Fresno and other MW teams). I would be shocked if Chuckie doesn't start but we will probably see Myers come in as well in certain situations...not really a 2 QB system but more situational stuff.

I realize Chuckie hasn't been 100% healthy and he's faced the stiffer competition, but Myers' stats are really impressive.

Aside from the obvious situation (non-competitive game), Is there any chance Wells would favor playing Myers just because he might be THE guy next year (although USU had a 3rd decent QB as well, correct?)?

If Myers does get a lot of PT, that will give the Zips a chance to beat K-E-N-T twice in one season.........groan :)

Edited by johnnyzip84

I realize Chuckie hasn't been 100% healthy and he's faced the stiffer competition, but Myers' stats are really impressive.

Aside from the obvious situation (non-competitive game), Is there any chance Wells would favor playing Myers just because he might be THE guy next year (although USU had a 3rd decent QB as well, correct?)?

If Myers does get a lot of PT, that will give the Zips a chance to beat K-E-N-T twice in one season.........groan :)

Myers wasn't planning on playing QB this year initially. We had another QB that was Chuckie's backup that had performed extremely well (Darell Garretson) that was supposed to be Chuckie's backup this year. Myers was going to move to Running Back so that he could get some playing time. Garretson chose to transfer over the summer to Oregon State and Myers moved back over. He has done really well this year but Chuckie looked good against BYU except on 1 play. I don't see any way that he doesn't start the game.

"The development that may have turned the football team’s season into a success didn’t come until the third game against Savannah State" -GT

May have?