Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

Congratulations to the players, coach Bowden, coach Amato and the rest of the staff. Way to turn around a season, finish strong, and get your team to a bowl game to get us the extra practices. I always heard it was fifteen, but this site reads different. Now I wish our matchup was later. No matter, this experience will be invaluable to the continual growth of the progrum.

While the location and time don't work out in my favor for attending, I like the matchup. Click here to read a nice overview of the Aggies.

Utah State’s defense continues to be its calling card. During the 2015 season, the Aggie defense ranks among the top 40 in the nation in seven different statistical categories, including seventh in fumble recoveries (12), ninth in three-and-outs forced (5.10 pg), 13th in passing defense (180.4 ypg), 20th in defensive touchdowns (3), 23rd in total defense (336.7 ypg), 26th in first downs allowed (17.7 pg) and 28th in opponent third down conversions (.341).

Offensively, Utah State is led by one of the top wide receivers in the Mountain West in senior Hunter Sharp. Sharp is a second-team all-MW honoree, and ranks first in the MW and 27th in the nation in receiving touchdowns with eight (0.8 pg), tied for second in the MW and tied for 29th in the nation in receptions with 60 (6.0 pg) and fourth in the MW and 46th in the nation in receiving with an average of 74.6 yards per game.

This will be the second talented WR named Sharp (spelled different) we faced this year. Hope the results are the same.

Edited by Dr Z

I am all for winning more games, but going to the very low end bowls seems like bad business for cash strapped programs.

....maybe they drop another sport?

"At the 2009 Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, Bowling Green received 4,000 tickets. It sold 77 — 76 for $40 and one for $15. The athletic department and university lost a combined $154,000 after adding up expenses for the team, band, and athletic department staffers.

Toledo, meanwhile, sold about 300 tickets for last December’s Potato Bowl. It received $225,000 for the 2011 Military Bowl in Washington and $475,000 last year, but spent $518,000 and $699,000, respectively, according to school records"

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2013/12/22/Bowl-games-a-win-lose-situation.html#3itFS1L52yMGv3l1.99

Edited by morris buttermaker

Very unflattering article about the Zips here in an article about the match-up. I hope it's how Utah State, prepares, however. Teams that disrespect our offense are now starting to get burned. Our special teams had some poor performances, but saying they stink is reach. We had no kickoffs or punts returned for TDs and I don't remember us losing possession due to a fumble on a return.

People make light of the fact that our wins were against teams with bad records. However, something great happened in those games: the team had a chance to gel and they learned how to become winners.. You could argue that if we had a couple of those earlier in the season, we might have one or both of those close ones against OU or CMU. Any way you slice it, wining four on a row really gave the team, in particular, the offense, a chance to grow. Teams challenged us to win with the pass at their own demise.

I think the match-up against Utah State is a good match. I watched other teams' fans upset at the bowl pick and opponent yesterday and it made me laugh. I see Utah State fans laugh at the few here, who have disrespected Utah State and they should laugh. The match up is fairly even.

In terms of the bowl itself, I am not sure any of have a window of the financial impact on the program. I think there is some "profit sharing" among the MAC teams and each bowl differs on how ticket purchases are handled. It is not "convenient" for the fans, but most of the bowls are not. It looks like last year, the Chips The Potato Bowl gave the Chips an allotment of tickets and the school kept the profits, unlike bowls that require the schools to buy an allotment. Most of the mocking comes from people who don't realize what a beautiful are Boise is in and how well the bowl treats the kids.

It would be really nice if the school were to decide to travel the band. They were bigger and seemed to be a bigger force during the game this year. It would be a nice reward for playing through so many pouring rain games this year and give them more exposure, as well.

• Like 2

At this point I see this bowl game as a stepping point to a better season next year, being competitive in the MAC, and winning a bowl game next year. Not counting us out this year (Bowden's been around so hopefully he'll know how to prepare for a bowl game - something our kids haven't been able to do in their careers) but I see this is a step in turning the program around.

Utah State team will be nearly as talented as any team we will face next season, excluding Wisconsin

...Toledo, BG, NIU, WMU, and OU (assuming a few will be on our schedule). No offense to the Aggies. I would assume if you were to rank all 128 teams, the Zips and Aggies would be pretty close in the 70's. The teams mentioned before would all be ranked above both. We also have the Herd and the Mountaineers on the schedule who would be ranked above the potato participants. I know it's a long way off, but next years schedule will have a number of top 50 teams on it, and should excite fans of good college football. We will probably face six or more bowl game participants in 2016. These extra two weeks they are getting this year will lay the groundwork for things to come next season. Fun times.

Will Utah State's third appearance in the Boise-based bowl game in the past five season give them the edge? Can't wait to see.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl $15 south end zone tickets found here. (only 27 of them)

Four hundred $25 seats in section 103 through the same link.

Edited by Dr Z

...Toledo, BG, NIU, WMU, and OU (assuming a few will be on our schedule).

Right on the money, Dr. Z. Based on the RPI rankings, Akron is 76 and USU is 69. I really like the match-up because the teams are so even and have a history of struggling but are both recovering programs. USU is just a bit ahead of us in rebuilding though, so it's like we are playing our big brother.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings.html

So what do our new Zip Nation and USU fans have to say about JoJo Natson?

Is he indeed enrolled ?

Talk about potatoes here, but please talk about Jojo's in the recruiting forum.

Likewise, any French discussions, or Frye talk, should be in an appropriate non-potato Zips forum.

mango.gif

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

Dr Z & UAZipster I feel what you both don't realize is that Utah State is better than what their record indicates. They were missing their all-conference QB for 7 games. Had he stayed healthy, there is a good chance they would have been facing SDSU in the MWC championship game.

I'm not saying USU is better than every team you listed, but at the same time when healthy, which they are now, they aren't a middle of the road MWC team. Their record the previous 3 years are 11-2, 9-5, and 10-4. They clearly are a pretty decently run program.

Edit: I guess I'm more so saying is this is the type of team we need to beat in order to take that next step and be 9-11 win program that competes for MAC championships.

Edited by kreed5120

That author missed the boat and scored the bowls with gift suites poorly. Gift Suites allow players to pick out gifts on top of the items listed. The items listed are not all of what the players will get as the players gifts.

The bowl is allowed to give up to $550 worth of gifts. On top of the that, the MAC and the university may also give each player gifts.

I also believe the bowl pays to fly the kids home after the game. I wonder how many flights leave Boise at night?

Edited by zipsoutsider

As some have said, this might be a good stepping stone for Akron. In 2011, USU was 7-5 and made it to the Potato Bowl where we lost to Ohio. Over the next three years we won 30 games and three bowl games. Now we are in our fifth bowl game in a row, and we are disapointed with a 6 win season. So even though some of you aren't thrilled with the Potato Bowl, it just might be the stepping stone you need.

• Like 6

LZip, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:snapback.png

Akron is a historically horrible program

http://www.collegefo...com/winpercent/

50% all-time winning percentage. Mediocre, not horrible.

Wonder what those numbers are as a D-1A program

Akron record since moving to D-1A in 1987 ...

126 - 204

Edited by GoZips88

Wow! I bet if Grice knew he could get a life-size decal of himself, he would have placed Detroit ahead of the Bahamas! Now he gets a two-person tent. Will he fit? :rofl:

It's a great time to be a Zip fan. Stop complaining and enjoy the opportunity. Akron soccer back in National Semifinals, Akron football in bowl game, and 3 former Akron soccer players including 2 coaches as well, specifically Caleb Porter, just won the MLS Cup in Columbus, OH of all places(where 3 former Akron players were on the other half of the pitch for Columbus Crew as well).

Just caught this, 3 coaches, by the way...Caleb Porter, of course, and assistants Cameron Knowles and Pablo Moreira played for the Zips.

It is a GREAT time, as you said, to be a Zips fan and a University of Akron alumnus. I would love to be at the Bowl game, but I already have pre-paid plans to be with Zips Mens Basketball in Las Vegas. I looked at flights from Vegas to Boise, but it takes too much time and defeats the purpose of going to Vegas. I hope others make it to Boise. First bowl appearance in 10 years, and only the 2nd of the D-1A era, is something to be part of if possible. Happy for Terry, his staff, and all of our players.

GO ZIPS!

• Like 4

It would be really nice if the school were to decide to travel the band. They were bigger and seemed to be a bigger force during the game this year. It would be a nice reward for playing through so many pouring rain games this year and give them more exposure, as well.

I received the following email:

Join the Zips’ championship effort and help defray the cost of sending Ohio’s Pride to the game to support the fans and players. Your gift will help showcase the marching band’s talent to the rest of the country.

Click here. Enter the amount of your gift, then enter "Band to the Bowl" in the “Please designate my gift to” box. This will ensure your gift is directed to the Marching Band. Complete the remainder of the form and click “Add to Basket.” You will be prompted for your credit card information.

Help to ensure members have an opportunity to do what they do best – build school spirit and serve as outstanding ambassadors for The University! Thank you for supporting Ohio’s Pride.
band_151127_01.jpg
The band plays before this years Wagon Wheel game. —©Photo by Dr Z
Edit: Here is an alternative if the above link doesn't work for you. Go here: https://www.uakron.edu/giving/ and click on the green box "give now"
If that doesn't work just google "give to university of akron" it should be the first link.
Edited by Dr Z
  • Like 3

I'm not going to the game, but I am going to support the school. I'm buying a T-shirt from the school, and I'm going to make a donation to the band. Who's with me?

The outrage flying prices coupled with the distance (if it was in Florida, I'd drive it airline prices were outrageous> Boise is 2200 miles from Cleveland, no way I could make it back before Christmas Eve), and not to mention with it being so close to Christmas is making it look like I'm not going to be able to go.

I'll be donating to the band because I know they will be cheering on the team loud and proud. I really like what the (new?) director is doing with them. What is the t-shirt you are speaking of?

Edited by LZip
  • Like 1