Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

I received the following email:

Join the Zips’ championship effort and help defray the cost of sending Ohio’s Pride to the game to support the fans and players. Your gift will help showcase the marching band’s talent to the rest of the country.

Click here. Enter the amount of your gift, then enter "Band to the Bowl" in the “Please designate my gift to” box. This will ensure your gift is directed to the Marching Band. Complete the remainder of the form and click “Add to Basket.” You will be prompted for your credit card information.

Help to ensure members have an opportunity to do what they do best – build school spirit and serve as outstanding ambassadors for The University! Thank you for supporting Ohio’s Pride.
band_151127_01.jpg
The band plays before this years Wagon Wheel game. —©Photo by Dr Z
Edit: Here is an alternative if the above link doesn't work for you. Go here: https://www.uakron.edu/giving/ and click on the green box "give now"
If that doesn't work just google "give to university of akron" it should be the first link.

Just think of how many donations they might receive if the uniforms said "Akron".... donating to this is a good cause-- they show up and play hard every game

Edited by morris buttermaker
  • Like 1

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-gets-little-love-among-bowl-prognosticators-famous-idaho-potato-bowl-ranks-low-on-watchability-lists-1.646329

The Beacon Journal hates us.

Of the many various positive storylines they could explore, this is what they give the masses.

I can't get my head around it. There is absolutely no reason to post that article at all. Why go so far out of the way to bash the hometown team that needs all the help it can get?

Wow. Just wow. Not only is their anti-UA slant to the article, the writing is very poor. Maybe it's time to start writing letters to the editor praising the team's progress and supporting the positive things going on in the program.

I don't think the media in NE OH can wrap their head around a winning football team.

Why does the ABJ have an ax to grind with UA?

I don't know, probably something trivial between the higher-ups. But it's becoming a news story unto itself...maybe the PD or the Repo can investigate and publish a story on the blossoming Akron feud.

Edited by ZippyRulz

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-gets-little-love-among-bowl-prognosticators-famous-idaho-potato-bowl-ranks-low-on-watchability-lists-1.646329

The Beacon Journal hates us.

Of the many various positive storylines they could explore, this is what they give the masses.

This amounts to nothing more than a hit job. They do a Front Page spread, then do this!?!?!?!?!?!

This is the guy that makes a living summarizing blogger comments for the ABJ. Ask Keener about him.

Henry Grantland Rice was an early 20th-century American sportswriter known for his elegant prose.

Craig Webb likes tweeting about roller coasters.

I don't like reading negativity about the accomplishment the Zips made this year. As depressing as our D-1A history has been, this bowl game is a cause for rejoicing no matter the circumstances. I don't know Mr. Webb, but I doubt if he knows the heartache that long time fans of this program have endured. Ya know what? That might be a story that could be written for the Beacon. . . interview some long suffering fans of the program and get their take on bowl eligibility. Here's an idea! Contact some of the players and coaches that are just a few city blocks away for some interviews. A newspaper in freaking Idaho can get that done, but not the BJ. Naw, let's regurgitate some nonsense from some internet blowbags that actually feel the need to rank the watchability of the goddamn bowl games.

Now, there have been a lot of opinions floated on this very forum that have been critical of the Zips, even critical of the University itself, but those viewpoints come from the sometimes hurting hearts that want the best for our beloved institution.

I believe Charlie Daniels said it best:

We may have done a little bit of fighting amongst ourselves, but you outside people best leave us alone.

• Like 1

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/football/article48955555.html

Not sure if this was already posted, but another non-negative Akron story from the other team's paper.

I think you're the second person who thinks we're playing Idaho State. Go Zips. Beat Bengals!

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Like 1

Nationally and internationally, organizations expend much effort to manage the media. Knowing that UA is one of the principal games left in Akron, it's very likely that UA leaders have done nothing, certainly nothing effective, to massage and manage the media. If the local rag, that locals call the Leaking Urinal, can't be managed and influenced to publish positive news and editorial content supportive of one of the principal institutions in town, your principal worry is not with the rag, but need instead be with the leadership of the university. Something is very wrong with the Scar and Company if they can't create advocates a few blocks over. You guys are looking at this the wrong way.