1-5-2016 @ Buffalo

LoyalZIP

1) Keith compared Antino to a Home Run hitter. I think that's right on the money. I guess we have to live with the strikeouts. I don't think that means he's going to accept his faults and leave him along, but the kid sure has a desire to win. And I like those kinds of players on my team.

2) Kretzer contributes to this team is SO MANY ways that never show up on a box score.

3) That Buffalo team has ATHLETES. If they ever learn how to play Team Basketball to any high level this year, they will be just as competitive in the conference race as they've been for years.

4) I'll take a win in Buffalo any way I can get it. And this was far from our best basketball. We still made plays in the last few minutes when it mattered most.

5) Am I the only one who got the feeling that we were trying to wear them down? Maybe playing at a faster pace than usual? I wonder if this will continue to be our strategy most of the rest of the year, with our depth.

6) Looking forward, this was one of only a few games that I think will be tough to win. If we are healthy from here on out, I would consider it a disappointment if we lose more than 3 conference games. Therefore, closing this thing out under 6 losses seems like a very fair expectation.

Edited by skip-zip

That was a very good broadcast and easy to see why UB was picked to be on of the first schools to have everything on ESPN3. I thought the UMass game was on CBS Sports Network but I could be wrong

You could be right. Maybe I was just impressed with both of their professionalism, because I'm so used to seeing, and listening to D class broadcasts. UA should follow whatever UB did. Love having everything on ESPN3. Kudos to UB for increasing my enjoyment of the game.

In the post game, Frenchy and KD wondered "When did UA/Buffalo become a rivalry?"

It was in the Hipsher-era, when the Zips blew something like a 20-point lead in the final 5 minutes. Thunder Dan gave the best post-game interview in the history of Zips athletics. I recall the words @#%&$ and *%$@#(^ being used multiple times. :eek:

I didn't see the game last night...I listened to it on the radio while I cleaned my basement. I think I heard the "LeBron James Foundation" and "Y-P App" commercials a combined 87 times.

Great win by the Zips. Looking forward to Friday!

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

Don't you need to draw at least 2227 fans for it to be a rivalry?

Probably not...or the Akron-K.e.n.t. football game wouldn't be considered a rivalry.

On a similar note - in the postgame interview, KD took issue with the UA-Buffalo game being scheduled while the students were out. It has become a big game on the MAC schedule, and it's a shame it's held during the 1st week of January.

KD also said "I'd hold the Akron/K.e.n.t. football game in September every year, when the weather stands a chance of being great, and you can draw 20,000 fans." I've said that for years. The September Akron/K.e.n.t. games have always been very well-attended. Screw having it held in front of 3k (or less) at the end of November.

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

I wish every away game was broadcast on the American Sports Network. I think they do a nice job. It was an entertaining broadcast last night.

Upon further web browsing....

In September 2015, ASN reached a deal with the Mid-American Conference, sub-licensed through ESPN, to broadcast selected games. In the 2015–16 academic season, ASN will broadcast 10 football games, 10 men's basketball games.

Here is the MAC tv schedule, seems like ASN has MAC games on Tuesdays, which will work out nice for Zips fans when we play at Central next Tuesday. Also Feb 23rd at Miami, and March 1st when Ohio visits the JAR. Worth marking your calendar IMO.

Replay found here.

I thought the UMass game was on CBS Sports Network but I could be wrong

I think you are right. The Akron/Miami game was on ASN.

Edited by Dr Z

I was also impressed with these announcers. They were very educated about the teams and coaches. They even went as far as mentioning that they saw Akron run certain offense set plays in practice on Monday.

Really? They studied the teams and observed a practice, and made note of several things to bring to the broadcast?

It sure beats the days when they threw a couple of guys in on our broadcasts that spent an entire game saying DAM-BRO.

I was also impressed with these announcers. They were very educated about the teams and coaches. They even went as far as mentioning that they saw Akron run certain offense set plays in practice on Monday.

Really? They studied the teams and observed a practice, and made note of several things to bring to the broadcast?

It sure beats the days when they threw a couple of guys in on our broadcasts that spent an entire game saying DAM-BRO.

Real journalism isn't dead apparently. Only wish we could get that kind of dedication from people who get paid to write about Akron athletics.

• Like 1

5) Am I the only one who got the feeling that we were trying to wear them down? Maybe playing at a faster pace than usual? I wonder if this will continue to be our strategy most of the rest of the year, with our depth.

IANABC but wouldn't that be the best counter to opposing guards who can consistently drive to the basket -- go fast-tempo, even full-court press and try to wear them down with depth? Maybe get a few turnovers to prevent a few easy buckets for them...

Agreed. I know it sounds awkward to give credit for someone doing their job, but Zips fans tend to get subpar talent. They did a nice job. Murry Bartow was the commentator, and Carl Reuter did the play by play. Murry even gave credit to Brian for helping him view Akron's practice. I thought that was respectful. Murry did a nice job pointing out the Zips successful offensive plays during the game that he saw in practice. I remember KD saying at the beginning of the season that he was going to simplify our offense, I was hoping Murry was going to expand on that, but maybe he was unaware. I wonder if that is even a true statement anymore.

Edited by Dr Z

• 1 month later...