1-8-2016 vs. Western Michigan

LoyalZIP

With cupcake season having come to an end, the Zips are hosting their 1st conference home game of the season. They are facing off against a WMU team that is led by its guard duo of Tucker Haymond and Thomas Wilder. Combined the 2 account for over 46% of WMU points on the season. WMU is coming off an OT loss against that team out east and currently sit at 6-8 on the season (0-1 in conference play).

Useful WMU Numbers

* 75.3 PPG (152nd)

* 73.6 points allowed per game (226th)

* 45% FG% (126th)

* 20 3PA per game (201st); .352 3P% (141st)

* +5.1 Rebound Differential (66th)

* -2.4 Turnover Differential (309th)

Edited by Dr Z

I said this in another thread. I thought this game would be on the "easier" side a week or so ago. But, now I don't know after the way they played a few nights ago.

Come to think of it, we've had difficulty pulling away from several "easier" opponents recently. I hope this game starts a trend in another direction. Decisive wins at home help us in a lot of ways, with player rest/development, and with the national pollsters.

Western really shouldn't give us too much trouble. They're resume is really not impressive at all and they dropped their first MAC game at home to the Flushes. And as already noted on here, we ALWAYS seem to beat them (except the ugly 2014 semifinal). However, they still have some players. Tucker Haymond is their leading scorer, kind of in the mold of Reggie or Jake except he can't shoot the three nearly as well. Drake LaMont is a decent big man but not on the level of Pat and Big Dog. Thomas Wilder played well against us last year and he's the one guy who I think could really beat us; another quick guard who can get to the rim. Overall, I'm expecting a double digit victory.

Buffalo was a big adjustment to the lineup with Jake and Pat coming back and trying to shake off their rust, and in what has historically been one of the most difficult environments for the Zips to play in. They'll look better at the JAR, with some more practice time with a full lineup.

Ada Zip...

I'll go with the 22 if it's Reggie and Jake shooting the majority of the 3s and not Antino or Kwan.

I know many (myself included) were frustrated with Kwan's play early this season, but he has done a much better job playing within the offense and not quick-triggering threes.

Thee first five games, Kwan was 6 of 24 from three. That's 25 percent on 4.8 attempts per game.

Since then, he is a respectable 9 of 24 in nine games. That's 37.5 percent on 2.6 attempts per game.

Over the past six games, he's been even better, going 8 of 18. That's a very good 44.4 percent on 3 attempts per game.

As long as they come in the flow of the offense and Kwan has an open look, he's shooting well enough now to get the green light.

Antino is another story. His shooting has been atrocious, especially for the volume of shots he puts up. His saving grace is that he has hit some big timely shots. But he needs to take a page out of Kwan's boom and start letting the offense come to him. He is forcing way too many bad shots, a lot of times early in the shot clock.

Anyway, I'm hoping this will be a get-right game for this team. The offense looks on the cusp of being efficient as I thought they could be. Just need some of the shots to go in. But overall, assists are up, turnovers down and they are getting a lot of good looks.

• Like 2

WadZip, Good points about Kwan and Antino. I said this in an earlier post that Antino is shooting too much and has 50 more shots than anyone else on the team. Just because you can take a step back three does not mean you should shoot it. He has the quickness to get to the basket and then dish it off and would like to see more of that. At the Can't game last year at Can't he was very good at getting the ball to his teammates. He does not have to be a scorer every night.

Kwan's play has improved after a game where he only played about 12 minutes. KD indicated that Kwan went to the gym to improve his game after that game. The main thing about Kwan is that he has a history of late in the game making mental mistakes like in the Green Bay game where he just kept shooting 3 shot baskets when all we needed is a two pointer. The one thing I like about Kwan is that he has been a consistent rebounder on defense and has some nice blocks. He has made himself a consistent defender.

Out turnover rate has really been low the past few games and that has really helped us in the winning streak. Looking forward to the game tonight. Go Zips!

Antino is effective because he isn't timid or hesitant to take over. I think once he starts second guessing and passing up shots we lose a lot of his upside.. Basically, deal with his shots not falling because soon enough they're going to start to fall and there won't be much a defender can do about it.

• Like 1

I was talking exclusively about the 3 point shooting.

1) If Kwan is only taking 2.6 attempts per game, I can live with that. I'm not going to buy into the idea that he should be a "green light" 3-point shooter just because he shot well in a particular period of time. He can help us more in other areas. But, if he's open 2-3 times a game, I'm fine with that.

2) I'm fine with turning Antino loose. I just think we're better served if he's doing that moving towards the basket, instead of stepping back from it.