1-15-2016 @ Toledo

zipsrule

I just listened to KD on the post game and he was extremely upset with team indicating that playing time was earned and not given out. He stated that he was disappointed at the half when players were pointing fingers at each other instead of accepting responsibility for their own play. He also indicated that the shot selection was poor in the first half. Robotham did not play in the second half, was not injured and was in street clothes. I give KD credit for challenging his players.

I think KD expect hard nose scrappy defense from his players. Now that we have hit MAC play we have seen little tenacity from this team the last 2 games. Robotham, Williams and Antino are not good defenders. Further, our forwards and centers are not very quick and able to cover for the guards once they get beat. I think everyone has to be disappointed with the defensive effort. Tuesday game should be interesting.

I'm scratching my head. Toledo missed 13 Free Throws in this game. They were 16 of 29. Does that tell us how bad this could have been?

This team doesn't have a lot of fight in them. I don't know what it is. Toledo wanted to win this game, and they did.

I think it's the very reason that we didn't put away some of those teams a few weeks ago. This didn't just start this week. Beating Buffalo might have been the worse thing that could have happened to this team. Keith has warned that he "might have to go back to the beginning" in the postgame. Maybe that's what it's going to take with this group.

Live by the 3, die by the 3.

No toughness on this team, a bunch of softies who like to shoot the 3 and stay out of the paint. That beats cupcakes but it won't beat decent MAC teams. for the last 6-7 years, KD's teams have a "tough guy", this team does not.

None of this should be a surprise though. With the exception of the Arkansas game, they really haven't played well all year.

Edited by Sportsjunkie330

There is no one on this team that should feel entitled to their minutes.

If Aaron Jackson or Williams or Ivey want to play more minutes, freaking defend, move on offense, and defend, and you are a starter.

The talent on this team is as good as any I've seen, but the hustle and effort is the worst. No excuse for getting their ass whipped in successive games, other than having a big head from eating a ton of cupcakes.

Top 25? This crew is below the Top 125. Wins against some weak competition has hidden some critical weaknesses.

It used to be KD'd say "The first team to 65 will win". Now the opponents are hitting 65 with 9 minutes left in the game. That's a problem. We shoot three's like we're Golden State. But we make them like we're Central State. That's gotta change.

Too much potential to give up on the Zips...but right now....this is the worst Zips "team" I've seen in 12 years.

• Like 2

Right now, the goal is to simply keep that all important 21 win streak in tact. Since it has helped elevate the program to new heights. Hopefully, they'll sweep Miami and BG,then eek out 4 more wins somehow. That will keep this program right up there with Gonzaga, Duke and Kansas!

I'm not gonna give up on the season, but after tonight, I'm done being emotionally invested in this program. We're simply just another MAC program. And actually, that's all this program has been for three years now. And Im not seeing anything to get excited about in the future.

It's looking like this golden era of Zips basketball is going to end up being three NCAA appearances, and three first round blowout losses. Who knows when this program will get back. The MAC has quickly caught up to us.

At least you've been to the tournament in the last decade. Toledo hasn't been there in 35 years...35 years!!!

Akron and Can't have always been the model programs for the conference since I can remember. With the parity in the conference this year you still have a good chance of being tourney champs

I think it is difficult to win on the road and last night was no exception. However, at Central Michigan we were in the game with 5 minutes left and last night we were down by 15 with 5 minutes left. I do not think this team has as much talent as other Zips teams, especially on the defensive end. Our guards look slow on defense. We had only 2 steals last night by Big Dog and no fast break points. Last night Antino had a turnover right before the half when he had his pocket picked and it led to a Toledo layup. When is the last time an Akron guard stole the ball from an opposing player? When is the last time the Zips score on transition points? Josh Williams defense on the fast break is to back up until he is under his own basket and then watch the guy jump over him for a layup. Robotham looks a step slow on defense coming back this year. Antino has some quickness but continues to get beat on the dribble drive. Jimond and Aron Jackson have not played very much and KD is using Reggie as the two guard. We have 5 guards on scholarship on this team and KD is using Reggie at the 2 guard. That sums up our guard play the last couple of games.

This game was a mirror image of the lost at Central Michigan where we were outshot at the foul line by a 2-1 margin. Pat had an off night and shot 2 for 10. We shot only 25% from the 3 line. KD indicated on the post game that he did not like the shot selection. The 3 point shots are the same shots we have been taking the entire year. They were basically all open looks. This team needs more team speed, especially on defense. Hopefully, KD can figure this out and maybe the team just needs this 3 game home stand to get back to playing good team defense. Let's hope last nights game was a wake up call to the team and not a harbinger of future games.

At least you've been to the tournament in the last decade. Toledo hasn't been there in 35 years...35 years!!!

Akron and Can't have always been the model programs for the conference since I can remember. With the parity in the conference this year you still have a good chance of being tourney champs

Winning in the Tournament gets MAC and national respect. Hence, Can't and Ohio are the model programs, not us. Nobody pounds cupcakes like we do and consistently beats weaker MAC competition like we do though!

• Like 1

Sure, this team is very deep. While it may have depth, it has not developed leaders or a go to guy in the clutch. There's nobody on that team who's a coach on the floor or who I see take control of a situation or attempt to rally the troops.

I keep waiting for it to click, but wonder if it will for this group.

I'm also becoming frustrated with our rotations. When a group is clicking or a player is hot, ride it. Instead, we often seem to be making substitutions off a chart created before the game (like a CYO coach with a 12 kid team that has to make sure every kid plays a quarter).

• Like 1

UA Zipster........Ken+ is a model program, not Akron?

Ken+ hasn't won a MAC title since 2008. And haven't been to the title game since 2011. And they lost that title game to Akron. And have gotten eliminated quite a few of those other years by....you guessed it....Akron.

Ken+ is failing, time and time again, in the postseason. But, if you think Ken+ is the "model program" based on winning a few NCAA tournament games 15 years ago, have at it.

UA Zipster........Ken+ is a model program, not Akron?

Ken+ hasn't won a MAC title since 2008. And haven't been to the title game since 2011. And they lost that title game to Akron. And have gotten eliminated quite a few of those other years by....you guessed it....Akron.

Ken+ is failing, time and time again, in the postseason. But, if you think Ken+ is the "model program" based on winning a few NCAA tournament games 15 years ago, have at it.

+1

I'm guessing you are a Toledo fan. Seriously, no hate at all. I think you guys are on the verge of being what Akron was 10 years ago, an up and comer capable of putting together some MAC tourney title teams. Hopefully,if you get there, you'll have more success than us.

Even without Booth, your program looks like it has a bright future. Can't really say the same thing here. This is a senior dominated team, and the younger guys look like they have no leadership. And I'm not seeing anything special with next year's recruiting class.

Really, Akron benefited from the West sucking, and Can't and Ohio (and most recently Buffalo) having major coaching turnover. Things are starting to even up, most notably, the West becoming just as good as the East.

On the bright side, as long as the MAC tourney is in Cleveland, Akron has a shot.

But, if you think Ken+ is the "model program" based on winning a few NCAA tournament games 15 years ago, have at it.

A few games? Making it to the elite eight as a ten seed out of the MAC? Come one. Seriously, you don't want to know what I would trade for that.

I am not sure if you're being serious or being sarcastic in this statement.

Right now, the goal is to simply keep that all important 21 win streak in tact. Since it has helped elevate the program to new heights. Hopefully, they'll sweep Miami and BG,then eek out 4 more wins somehow. That will keep this program right up there with Gonzaga, Duke and Kansas!

Tournament runs only really have a lasting effect if you can turn it into some sort of upwards mobility. Butler for example is now a perennial top 25 team after their run(s), and programs like Davidson, or vcu, were able to parlay theirs into a better conference and are now a really solid program.

Then there's the other mold: teams like George Mason who are really no better off after their big run. Can't also fits this description, as instead of boosting themselves into a big conference or something they are still fighting for scraps in the mac. And that, my friends, is why Can't state sucks.