Jamal Davis [NFL Texans]

zippy5

2015: 8-5 with a bowl win !!! Remember ? Seems to be paying off

Not endorsing fully but think about it ............. UA, as we all know, is having some financial struggles. SO if Coach Bowden can indeed keep the recruiting budget down and plan/recruit in this type of scheme, is it really that bad ? I cannot imagine that the recruiting budget is very robust ..... Makes the relationship with the local programs more important,

It is possible that this indeed is the mid term future of the program (or longer) ..... Remember, most of the time, the "star" rating is so over hyped (with the exception of about 10-12 kids a year. The high school athletes we recruit in are not going to be huge contributors (except for a few) until their third (Soph) year. Their freshman ans RS freshman years are developmental and we should get two solid performance years (3 productive seasons for a few) out of each recruiting class .............. IMHO

To me, the important thing to note is that these transfers are wanting to come to Akron and their talent levels have been pretty damn good so far .... I would be comfortable with a 60/40 split of recruits to transfers ................. Mix in a couple of solid 5th year seniors each year with the multi season eligible transfers and to me that makes us MACable (term coined by another Zip Nation loyalist) !!!

Just sayin ...

• Like 2

2015: 8-5 with a bowl win !!! Remember ? Seems to be paying off

Not endorsing fully but think about it ............. UA, as we all know, is having some financial struggles. SO if Coach Bowden can indeed keep the recruiting budget down and plan/recruit in this type of scheme, is it really that bad ? I cannot imagine that the recruiting budget is very robust ..... Makes the relationship with the local programs more important,

It is possible that this indeed is the mid term future of the program (or longer) ..... Remember, most of the time, the "star" rating is so over hyped (with the exception of about 10-12 kids a year. The high school athletes we recruit in are not going to be huge contributors (except for a few) until their third (Soph) year. Their freshman ans RS freshman years are developmental and we should get two solid performance years (3 productive seasons for a few) out of each recruiting class .............. IMHO

To me, the important thing to note is that these transfers are wanting to come to Akron and their talent levels have been pretty damn good so far .... I would be comfortable with a 60/40 split of recruits to transfers ................. Mix in a couple of solid 5th year seniors each year with the multi season eligible transfers and to me that makes us MACable (term coined by another Zip Nation loyalist) !!!

Just sayin ...

I agree with almost everything you posted. And I think getting Jamal Davis is a nice addition. However, I think a 60/40 split between transfers and HS kids is too high. It has worked to make this program competitive, but to make the next jump, I think you still need the bulk of the players to be guys who have been in the system for 4-5 years (even if the PT isn't until later). For example, to make that next jump, Akron has to land guys like Jamal Davis out of HS. It's good that he's here now, but he has spent two years developing in another system.

Then sprinkle in the transfers (grad, multiple years guys or JUCO). I'd say that 65 percent HS and 35 percent others is probably the most optimal for a school like Akron. You figure that each class (taking attrition into account) is roughly 25 kids. That means 16 HS and 9 transfers.

That still leaves plenty of room to take on transfers, but allows TB to better build repore with HS coaches. That could pay big dividends, especially locally.

I'll use your son as an example (but lets pretend he went to Canton McKinley and not Buford ... comparable since both schools have produced a ton of talent). Getting somebody like him, who TB saw something in that others didn't, could down the line lead to some of the "Jamal Davis'" to choose Akron right away over mid tier P5 programs. Obviously, the guys who are being recruited by the elites aren't coming to Akron out of HS, but 9 transfers still leaves the door wide open for some to end up back home (Sevon Pittman).

It would also still allow for a couple second-chances like Jamal Marcus, or grads like Darryl Monroe.

It also increases the chances of finding the next Jatavis Brown... A guy who could start at any college in the country, who was overlooked.

Plus, it could lead to a couple more Tyler Shipman's, you know kids who aren't necessarily at a school you expect to be a feeder, but they have something you see in them and are willing to take a shot on. Who knows what the next couple years will bring with him. But it seems like you are heavily invested in seeing the program succeed, so I'm guessing your son is also 100 percent buying into what direction this is headed. A system kid who excelled in an area like NEO (or Atlanta) can blossom into a very good player if they know the system inside and out and are on board with what some good coaches are preaching.

Overall, unless you are Urban Meyer (I'll take 3 4-star prospects today) or Nick Saban (who will probably get three 5 stars to counter), there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat. But I think TB has done a good job of bringing talent in.

Wadzip ........... I agree with you all the way and will certainly concede the 65/35% mix. I just feel that if you look at the whole picture (recruiting budget, school finances, etc.) along with the (what I consider) successful recruiting plan so far from Bowden and company, I believe this is part of a conscious plan........ Just my opinion

If you scan even most P5 schools, they are also bring in 4-6 JUCO transfers on average (many have been sent to JUCO for lack of grades) and they have a pipeline to some of the major JUCO powers. So your numbers above are pretty close to where we currently are now ( I said close) ...........

Continuing to strengthen our relationship with the local area programs is vital IMHO (talent is right there, no strain to the budget, etc) and continued penetration with relationships in South Florida (I think the relationship between Coach Stroud and Mark Richt will certainly help now that Richt is at The U)

As you brought up my son, which to your point is a decent example. As I have always said (and hopefully not arrogantly), my son is a text book definition of a "developmental player". Very low pad level to leverage under the 6-5/6-6 O-linemen and excellent technique. He was Blessed to have 4 years in the Buford system as it is run EXACTLY like UA's (practices, strength and conditioning etc.)..... He has been in this grind for 5 years (15 games every year in high school) now and "get's it". He told me over the break that his biggest frustration is that still so many don't "get it" .......... He loves Coach Sleeve and says that everything that he is doing makes complete sense but the older guys still aren't completely bought in yet (although he said it is getting better)........ Thinks that Coaches Stroud and Amotto are "geniuses" when it comes to defense and scheme..... I feel confident in saying that he should have a very productive 4 more years and will without doubt do his job when on the field, just still needs another 20 pounds of muscle and keep his quickness and agility off the ball. His strength gains have been remarkable under Coach Sleeve in just 6 months and as I hammered on last year .......... This off season is going to be huge for him (I hope)... and all of the younger guys

I think we were all hoping that last season would change the make up of our recruiting strategy, but I think the mindset of the high school recruiting has not changed (good character, developmental kids ...... No "star" power). It may have opened more eyes of potential transfers and 5th year guys............. Which I again, think is perfectly acceptable if the Coaches have continued success in that area.

The keys to building on the 2015 season are ...... 1. A kick ass off season regiment (more player buy in) 2. Keeping Coach Funk and building coaching continuity on the O-Line 3. Filling the holes where needed and getting the key younger guys to step up.

Signing day is 2 weeks from today !! I still think we are going to be happy with this years class !

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Dr Z changed the title to Jamal Davis [NFL Texans]
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

JD doesn't seem to have a number assigned yet. I would suggest 99. ?

Just a reminder what JD did at the combine. He finished first among edge rushers in the 60-yard shuttle (11.78 seconds), third in the three-cone drill (7 seconds), fifth in the 40 (4.6 seconds) and 11th in the 20-yard shuttle (4.44 seconds). He also placed second in the vertical jump (39 inches) and fifth in the broad jump (10 feet, 2 inches).

I hope Flores takes a special interest in JD since he is familiar with his position. Overall odd roster strategy in Miami, but maybe this is JD's chance. 

For those who don't think the AKRON Beacon Journal doesn't have an institutional bias against the U of A, how about today's headline on JD.....not Akron grad JD but Canton McKinley grad JD sign with Dolphins....happy as all get out for JD though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...