1-23-16 vs Miami Redhawks

kreed5120

The cupcake syndrome?

Since conference play has started the Zips are giving up 9 more points a game than against non conference foes. Is our defense that much worse in conference play or was our out of conference schedule so bad that it masked our bad defense? This team has to realize that they have to work hard on the defensive end. I think that one of the reasons Reggie is starting at the 2 guard is that he defends and rebounds better than our guards. (Offensively he has also helped big time) I would like to see more Jimond as I think he could be a good defender because of this quickness, size and athleticism. But he has to earn it.

However, we are scoring much better than in past years. We have 5 guys scoring in double figures. That is probably a first for a KD coached team. The shortened shot clock may have something to do with it since scoring has been up this year. There has been very little complaining about the rotation this year on this board because the guys that have been producing are playing big minutes in conference play. KD is playing 7 guy rotation playing 20 minutes or more in conference play. Josh is playing 14 minutes, Jimmond gets 7 minutes and Aron Jackson getting 4 minutes. I think the key to these 3 guys getting more time is defense.

I also think we play better when Antino shoots less and passes more. He is not shooting the ball well this season. Also, Kwan has to realize that his shooting has not been very effective from the 3 point line and he has a better percentage when driving to the basket. Should be a good game tonight. Go Zips!

I don't think it's that bad defense has been "masked" against the OOC teams.. I think they just did enough to win those games and have had trouble turning it up a notch that is needed to keep rolling over MAC teams. I still think the Zips are the top MAC team, they just need to find some consistency and kick it into the next gear on defense.

• Like 1

The new " brought to you by the Miller ins agency" after every zip 3 wreaks of bush league. Way over the top and bogus as hell....... Ok for the radio but not the house microphone,

Good to see Williams get some confidence going. .......

It reminded me of this from Major League:

"The outfield walls now look like the yellow pages. And any of you folks having trouble finding a good proctologist, might want to come down here and check out the area around the 375 foot sign."

• Like 1

After the last game, I was starting to think that Reggie really needs to shoot the ball more and more for us to be really successful this year. Then.....he goes cold and Jake and Josh go a combined 9 of 12 from 3-range tonight. I guess that's why I don't make a half-mil a year coaching basketball, like the guy on our bench.

I'd like to say that we played great aggressive defense tonight. But lets face it, Miami has one guy who can score points. And physically, we were just far superior. I hope this means we can win in Oxford this year too.

Stats of the Game:

1) 3-Point Shooting: Akron - 53% Miami - 10%

2) Akron shoots 100 PERCENT (9 of 9) from the FT line.

Edited by skip-zip

The Miami coach did not share your opinion regarding the quality of the refs. I like the fact that they did not blow their whistles very often but I thought most of the 50/50 calls went Akron way. (not complaining considering some of the calls we get on the road) They called several traveling calls against Miami that most refs were not calling since they were very close.

Miami played bad and had very little flow to their offense. I thought we played better defense but Robotham still gets beat on the dribble drive, especially in the second half. He played 33 minutes so maybe he is getting tired. It was great seeing Josh scoring 15 but everything was off the 3 ball. I think one reason we shot the 3 ball so well is that the guys that were hot did the shooting. Other guys did the scoring and Antino did not have to shoot 15 shots and Kwan did not shoot any 3 point attempts.

It was great seeing Jimond going 4-4 from the line. Amazing what a 30 point lead will do for your confidence when foul shooting. I hope that he gets the confidence to work more into the rotation since he is the one guy who likes to take the ball to the hoop.

Officiating was very different than we're used to seeing from mac refs. Normally each and every game is a whistle fest but this one was almost the polar opposite. While it's nice to see the game flow a little bit more i honestly felt that there were a few head scratchers as far as no-calls.