Adam Najem

http://section215.com/2017/01/23/philadelphia-union-look-to-aquire-the-rights-for-adam-najem/

You can not ask for a better first paragraph....where Akron....is described as the holy grail of college soccer development

What I’m referring to is the Philadelphia Union’s recruitment of homegrown player Adam Najem. For those who don’t know, Najem is a highly rated member of the New York Red Bull’s academy who has graduated from Akron, the holy grail of college soccer development. Having produced talents such as DeAndre Yedlin, Perry Kitchen, Darlington Nagbe, and Will Trapp among others, Najem is in good company.

Kudos again to TennZip for pointing me to this article...http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/02/03/transcript-jim-curtins-preseason-conference-call/comment-page-1/

On Adam Najem

Yeah, he’s been excellent in training. He gets goals and assists, which I already knew about — you just have to look at his statistics to know that he can do that. He’s shown in the short time with us that he can do that at the MLS level. He’s been very strong in each and every training session, and actually has an ability to cover more ground and do the defensive work that we ask our no. 10 to do, even more so than I anticipated. So, high on him, hopefully, we’ll see what’s coming in the next couple of days.

Adam has done everything to show very well, has made it clear that he wants to be a Philadelphia Union player just by being here. Hopefully something can come of that in the coming days. But I’ve been very impressed. Good kid, humble kid, quiet, incredible work rate and ability around the goal to score and set up goals that is special. Guys that are in our league who’s not the biggest, you think of a Mauro Diaz — I think I described him at dinner the other day as a Mauro Diaz-Benny Feilhaber combo. Again, that’s getting ahead of ourselves, but you can kind of think of the attributes of those two guys with the similar size to a Diaz, for a young kid. Again, don’t say I’m calling him the next Mauro Diaz, because that’s a little fast. But he’s done very well, and for the people who maybe don’t know what he’s about, that would be a comp of skill sets that I see.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/post/2017/02/08/get-know-adam-najem

Najem played all four seasons at Akron, competing in 89 games for the Zips and accumulating 95 points during his career. In every season, the Zips made the NCAA tournament; its best run being the team’s College Cup semifinal appearance in 2015. Najem was named to the All-MAC First Team every season at Akron, and also received First-Team NSCAA Academic All-American honors in 2015 and 2016.

nice article from the Philadelphia Daily news

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Union-sign-midfielder-Adam-Najem-from-New-York-Red-Bulls-academy.html

"He's an intelligent, humble, quiet kid, but when he gets on the field, I would say he makes a lot of noise, especially around the goal," Union manager Jim Curtin said. "He's a guy who can play a final pass, scores a lot of goals in practice, scored a lot of goals in college as well. He has that skill set that you can't always teach or coach - some guys just have a knack around the goal."

"I'm not a guy who cares too much about size," Curtin said. "I'm more concerned with a guy who sees the game a little different. He sees it one and two passes ahead, so he sees where the next ball should go at all times [and] is aware in tight spaces."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

nice article from the Philadelphia Daily news

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/Union-sign-midfielder-Adam-Najem-from-New-York-Red-Bulls-academy.html

"He's an intelligent, humble, quiet kid, but when he gets on the field, I would say he makes a lot of noise, especially around the goal," Union manager Jim Curtin said. "He's a guy who can play a final pass, scores a lot of goals in practice, scored a lot of goals in college as well. He has that skill set that you can't always teach or coach - some guys just have a knack around the goal."

"I'm not a guy who cares too much about size," Curtin said. "I'm more concerned with a guy who sees the game a little different. He sees it one and two passes ahead, so he sees where the next ball should go at all times [and] is aware in tight spaces."

Did you catch the link at the end of the article? The first such deal was done in 2011...referring to Caleb Porter trading fro Bryan Gallego's HG rights, also from NYRB.

43 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Did you catch the link at the end of the article? The first such deal was done in 2011...referring to Caleb Porter trading fro Bryan Gallego's HG rights, also from NYRB.

hopefully, Adam will make the NYRB pay for the cheapskate ways...

they have not been kind to Akron alums

40 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Nice find @TennZip

...The actual transaction for Najem looks like this: New York Red Bulls trade the Right of First Refusal to Adam Najem to Philadelphia. The Union traded their 2018 Natural 2nd Round SuperDraft pick to New York Red Bulls. The Union traded away their second round pick of next years draft, for a potential top ten pick from this past draft had Najem entered. This is incredibly smart on the parts of Earnie Stewart and Chris Albright. These two have totally revamped this team. This signing is essentially the Union getting a top ten first round draft pick. Which is monumental, especially since Philly didn’t have a first round pick this past draft. The Najem deal is the icing on the cake for an offseason full of smart moves. let’s look at some of the newest signings accolades. ...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...