CMU @ Zips — Feb 5 at 8 pm

Dr Z

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Nice article.  Little has changed from CMU's point of view.  We make a living on dribble penetration and we expect to keep it going tonight.  We have three guards who can dribble penetrate and finish at the rim or pull up for mid range jumpers or dump it off to one of our bigs with bounce passes or lobs up high or pick up a foul and shoot free throws. Lots of options with this offense.  If all that doesn't work we have five guys who can shoot the three.  But the biggest difference in the past several games is the fact that we have really picked it up on the defensive end.  I will repeat what I said earlier, CMU is finally starting to play like the team that was picked to win it all and when this team is on I don't think anyone in this league can beat them.  The problem is I have also watched them when they were not on and that concerns me about this game.  Again, as I have already said, Akron has been a tough place for us to play.  I think we have only had one win at the JAR in more years than I can remember.  That does not bode well for CMU.  In any event it should be a good one and I'm looking forward to it.  I hope you have a nice crowd.  The conference needs that with the game being on national TV.  

Edited by midlandchip
  • Like 2

I think it's the sign of a team that has progressed to the stage where everyone is understanding how they can best contribute to victories. 

With the way we're playing, and the schedule, these guys have a chance to finish this thing as the best team Keith has ever had. 

We need the fans to come out, attract some new fans, and create an environment that helps these guys get over the finish line. 

Edited by skip-zip
misspelling

Some of the best ball movement I've seen from the Zips all year.

Some of the worst officiating I've seen all year.  I'm generally not one to b!tch about the refs, especially after a win, but that was pretty bad.  I counted five travels on the Fowler kid that they just plain missed.  He has a bad habit of shuffling his feet right before he penetrates and they missed it all damn night.

It sure was a game of runs.  Fortunately, our runs were more sustained.  I think we may see CMU again. 

That was a big win for Akron.  And what a shooting exhibition.  I don't remember ever seeing a team hit so many threes at such a high completion percentage.  If your team can keep that up no one else will beat them this season.  After facing that kind of bombs away performance it is hard to believe CMU only lost by five.  And I agree we could likely see each other again this season.  Also, it was a nice crowd and it looked good on TV.  

• Like 3

Man why is it so dead around here? We're 19-4 and the thread for a big game like this is only at 2 pages?

But anyways, fun game tonight. Good atmosphere and lots of interesting game trends. That antino barrage in the first half and that huge run in the second were about as fun as hoops get. Central's tough and i expect them to be right there around the top of the mac for the rest of the way.

And one more side note, what the heck has happened to Pat? He has been invisible for a while now and that play where he was wide upon under the rim but passed it out was one of the strangest I've ever seen. 

Edited by ace

Great crowd, great game, nice shirt. Happy camper here.

Thoughts

CMU is a well coached tough bunch. Not an ounce of quit in them.

No home cooking tonight from the refs 

Big time bounce back game from Antino. Great to see him get his confidence back.

Noah is as steady as they come. The Zips took great care of the ball.

I didn't hear one person say: "man, we sure miss Carmello Bentencourt tonight" 

Nice to have a fresh legged freshman suddenly burst onto the scene and come into his own. Not sure we win the last two without Josh.

Again, Kwan  doesn't have to drop 15 to help us. he's turned into a great team player.

I'll probably go to my grave never knowing why Pat didn't throw down that point blank O rebound he grabbed.

21 minutes ago, ace said:

And one more side note, what the heck has happened to Pat? He has been invisible for a while now and that play where he was wide upon under the rim but passed it out was one of the strangest I've ever seen. 

I talked about this the entire way home.  What was he thinking?  All he had to do was LOOK, and he would have seen that he was the ONLY GUY standing under the basket.  He never looked.  He just turned away from the basket immediately and passed it out. 

I'm telling you.  That's a guy who has no confidence left in his own ability to finish.  He doesn't want to shoot.  And honestly, we might be better off at this point. 

26 minutes ago, ace said:

Man why is it so dead around here? We're 19-4 and the thread for a big game like this is only at 2 pages?

Easy there. My guess is a lot of people on this board were there. I was there even though it's an 100-110 minutes round trip for me. I literally just got back home.

I agree that Pat has not been playing well offensively. He only took one shot tonight.  Last year when we lost Tree he played great and had a great season.  Now that Big Dog is playing well he  seems to have lost some confidence in his shooting.   Pat has always had great drop step moves and it seems like he just is not using them and just goes with his left handed hook.  Hopefully, he will get the confidence back. 

The team is really playing well with some great passing.  Josh is just on fire.  Heard him on the post game interview and he credits the team with his open looks.  It reminds me of how Antino came on real strong at the end of the season.  I like how Kwan is concentrating on defense and passing the ball.

Both Reggie and Jake have been very active rebounding.  It is the most aggressive I have ever seen them play.  They have some nice offensive put backs.  Jake had a terrible shooting night and we still won.

My only complaint is that the last 4 minutes we seemed to go into a prevent defense when we were up by 20 and KD told the team not to foul.  Central made a nice run and almost stole the game.  I would not have changed our defense since we were playing so well.

This team is playing great team ball and we had 22 assists.  I hope we keep getting better and it will be a great season.

24 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Pat has always had great drop step moves and it seems like he just is not using them and just goes with his left handed hook. 

His foot movement and drop step have been outstanding at times. 

It's simply easier to bail out and take the easier shot (the hook).  His mindset offensively is just not where it was at this point last year.  Not even close. 

It wears on you.  Your minutes dwindle, you know your coach doesn't think you can get the job done, then you sit on the bench and watch your replacement score 20 points. 

At this point, with 8 games remaining in his career, I'll consider it a bonus if we have any more decent offensive nights from him.  It's sad when we think that he appeared to have developed into a legitimate All-MAC player.     

A few thoughts on the game

1. CMU is the best Mac opponent we will see-veteran team with great ball movement

2. First 6-7 minutes-looked like we would be blown out,but once KD inserted BigDog,Kretzer and Josh, everything turned around as they had no answer for Big Dog

3. Antino's hot shooting barrage stunned CMU and they didn't right the ship until the 2nd half

4 2nd half was really fun-great crowd support-both teams went on unbelievable runs. As KD said in his post-game, at times the Zips played as well or better than any Zip team during his tenure-ball movement was spectacular at times.

5. Final score was not indicative of Akron's dominance- Last 3 minutes was hard to watch,and I agree, we went to the prevent defense and it hurt us

6. As I previously predicted, I believe we will run the table-I just can't see us losing to the teams remaining on our schedule-the away game at NIU could be a problem,as we have had problems winning there and they are unpredictable, 27-4 believe it

Great game by the Zips tonight, The first half was as good a half as I've seen in 20 years. Great ball movement...just awesome.

This is one team that I don't sweat when we miss 8 straight 3-pointers...because the next 8 are going in. With Williams, McAdams, Kertzer, Jackson, Robotham (Cheathum intentionally omitted) who do you guard on the perimeter? Some dead-eye shooter is always left open.

Robotham's getting back to his old self. His D is improving every game. 

Big Dog is awesome.

I didn't hear one person say: "man, we sure miss Carmello Bentencourt tonight" 

Thanks, HipZip. Some people write LOL, but they really didn't. That's a legit LOL! :bow:

A month ago I said this Zips team has the best talent I've seen in 20 years, yet might be the worst performing team in 20 years. It seems like now, all that talent is meshing into a great team. It took a while, but this team is rolling. If they stay healthy, no one can touch them.

Go Zips!

• Like 4

I know it's all about TV, but I bet there were at least 500-1,000 people who planned on attending this game, but had Cavs tickets (raises hand) or opted for a local HS game. And there were some big ones in some of UA's biggest areas ... Copley-Highland, Barberton-Tallmadge, Stow-Hudson and all the Federal league teams, I believe, had league games.

Personally, I had the Cavs tickets long before this game was moved to Friday night, so no way was I ditching those (though I should've, lol). 

I'm guessing probably would've been at least 4,500 if not for all that, which is solid for a Friday night. There was just too much basketball going on tonight to sell out between the Cavs and all the high school games. And the Canton Charge were also home tonight (and they draw decent numbers ... 2,500 or so). Then, there was TV.

The last four home games should draw big crowds. Buffalo and Ohio, even on Tuesdays will be 4,500-plus (though both are easy sellouts on a Saturday). BG on a Saturday could sell out and Can't on a Friday will sell out. The only H2H left against the Cavs is the Can't game, and that shouldn't matter.

29 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Great game by the Zips tonight, The first half was as good a half as I've seen in 20 years. Great ball movement...just awesome.

This is one team that I don't sweat when we miss 8 straight 3-pointers...because the next 8 are going in. With Williams, McAdams, Kertzer, Jackson, Robotham (Cheathum intentionally omitted) who do you guard on the perimeter? Some dead-eye shooter is always left open.

Robotham's getting back to his old self. His D is improving every game. 

Big Dog is awesome.

Thanks, HipZip. Some people write LOL, but they really didn't. That's a legit LOL! :bow:

A month ago I said this Zips team has the best talent I've seen in 20 years, yet might be the worst performing team in 20 years. It seems like now, all that talent is meshing into a great team. It took a while, but this team is rolling. If they stay healthy, no one can touch them.

Go Zips!

I can't agree with this more. This is easily the most talented team in the KD era (which probably means ever). But this team was flat out bad for a month. Luckily, it only cost them two road wins against two talented teams. 

But this team is again playing up to their potential (and CMU is a Damn good team). But I feel confident that we will see them (and beat them) again in Cleveland.

6 hours ago, zipnetter55 said:

1. CMU is the best Mac opponent we will see-veteran team with great ball movement

I'll disagree with you here.  They may have had a bit more "ball movement" than they did in the first game, but most of the time it's drive-and-shoot, or drive and dish to a shooter.  If you look at what the Zips did last night.....That's Ball Movement !!   There may have been some plays were the ball rotated between every guy on the floor in a matter of a few seconds.  It was fun to watch.