CMU @ Zips — Feb 5 at 8 pm

Dr Z

6 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

For those who were there and not watching on TV, there was something strange at the end: Simmons, the 3 ball shooter (I hope I have the right name) fouled out, but stayed in the game. The announcers even said the officials had him with 5 fouls, but he stayed in and scored probably twice.

Some of us noticed that he had 5 fouls on the stat boards on each end of the court. We figured that the boards were wrong because even MAC refs can't be that bad.

Was at the game last night and watched it at home on DVR.  These are the observations from a guy (me) who has been at every Zip home game in the Dambrot era and unfortunately a number before that.  (I remember when CMU, who was in last place at the time, knocked us out of the first round of the MAC tourney AT HOME!)  With all that, I still don't know the difference between a "pick and roll" and a "moving screen."  Or the difference between a "wing" and a "post." :rolleyes:  So here it goes:

1.  I give CMU a lot of credit for being down 20 on the road and executing a plan to get back in it.  It made for a tedious end to the game, but they stymied the crowd and took any rhythm out of the game.  Reminded me of playing a Charlie Coles team.  I was surprised they didn't foul one last time.

2.  Coach D made a good point that he would rather have Noah shooting free throws at the end, but he needs him to inbound because he is so calm.

3.  TV announcers said Fowler is a Theater major.  He's obviously been giving some acting lessons to his teammates.

4.  When Noah went in for a lay up on a fast break in the second half, the CMU player backed off.   Some of our MAC opponents would have whacked him.

5.  (May regret saying this) I hope Coach Davis stays with CMU for awhile.  Quality coach.  When we were on our huge run he stayed cool even though his team was rattled and didn't panic and start screaming at the refs.  He regrouped and executed.

6.  What I notice the most is that our team is staying composed when things aren't going well.  At Green Bay and Toledo, they would get frustrated and desperate.  Now Noah calmly bring the ball up the court, and we go about our business and are avoiding those quick trigger threes.

7.  Will be nice to follow the MAC games tonight knowing we secured our first place position.  I will be pulling for Eastern and Toledo on the road.

Edited by NWAkron
grammar

The huge run in the 2nd after CMU took the lead was a thing of beauty. Antino may be a little more dangerous but Noah can do some damage himself and is just a great PG, a floor general. And Josh Williams is coming into his own. Kid might be a beast when it's all said and done. We went from Carmelo Betancourt to this stable of guards in a hurry. Go Zips!

Yes, Simmons only had 4 fouls. The board was wrong.

But the refs were still pretty awful. Sitting courtside we had our fair share of words and comments towards them. Two of them (the worst two) carried themselves way too seriously, but the other one (who actually officiated a decent game) actually had a sense of humor and would joke with us. Wish more refs would be like that.

Central's lack of depth is astounding. They only played 8 and had guys go 39, 38, 36, and 32. Surprised they still had the legs to shoot there at the end.

The ball movement is the best I've ever seen from the Zips. It's as if each guy would rather have an assist than take a shot. The chemistry is hot right now. I think it has to do with trust in each other and belief that your teamate is going to make the shot. About as selfless of a team that I've seen.

Defensively we continue to get better down low. I think they only had 12 points inside the paint. What a massive turnaround from the last CMU game. If the season plays out as it is going, we'll see these guys again.

14 minutes ago, ace said:

Yes, Simmons only had 4 fouls. The board was wrong.

But the refs were still pretty awful. Sitting courtside we had our fair share of words and comments towards them. Two of them (the worst two) carried themselves way too seriously, but the other one (who actually officiated a decent game) actually had a sense of humor and would joke with us. Wish more refs would be like that.

Central's lack of depth is astounding. They only played 8 and had guys go 39, 38, 36, and 32. Surprised they still had the legs to shoot there at the end.

Larry Scirotto is a good guy and referee. Donnie Eppley and Bill Elk are idiots. The last game that Eppley did for us, 46 fouls were called.

Edited by Hilltopper

7 minutes ago, ace said:

I'm guessing that the one that you liked was Larry Scirotto. He is a ref that I always enjoy having. He seems to do a good job and has fun with it most of the time. He also seems to be a pretty good guy as he is a commander in the Pittsburgh police force.

I also thought the refs were terrible at the game.  I recorded the game and reviewed the plays that I thought were bad calls against Akron and I hate to say it, but the calls were not terrible.  Antino got called for an offensive foul and on the replay you can see him pushing off.  The foul where Kwan got knocked over was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way.  Kwan moved over just before the guy ran over him.  The same for the offensive call against Big Dog, it could have gone either way.  On the 3 point foul against Kwan that I thought was a total flop, Kwan definitely hit the guys arm on the follow through.  The guy did flop but it was a legitimate foul although it did not effect the shot.  The only call the refs missed was an out of bounds call against Akron where the replay showed that Jake did not touch the ball. I also noticed at the end of the game when Central was fouling that the refs blew a very quick whistle.  I guess when refs get suspended for 2 games the message was received to blow a quick whistle when the other team is trying to foul. 

To our players credit, no player gave the refs any problems.  I remember last year when some players picked up technical after a bad call.  I also noticed that Scirotto looks like he is having a great time at the game.   

26 minutes ago, feetg10 said:

The biggest complaint I have about the refs has to be the half dozen or so missed travels the that CMU got away with. A few four and five steppers in there. 

+1.  This is what we were screaming last night.  :mad_flame:

37 minutes ago, feetg10 said:

The biggest complaint I have about the refs has to be the half dozen or so missed travels the that CMU got away with. A few four and five steppers in there. 

I was wondering if the rules for traveling have changed? 

Can you actually put the ball under your arm like a football, take 2 steps, then a leap-step to the basket and not be called for traveling? 

Based on CMU guards last night, I'd say Yes, you can! 

So, have college basketball traveling rules "evolved" into NBA rules?

2 hours ago, Glib Shanley said:

I was wondering if the rules for traveling have changed? 

Can you actually put the ball under your arm like a football, take 2 steps, then a leap-step to the basket and not be called for traveling? 

Based on CMU guards last night, I'd say Yes, you can! 

So, have college basketball traveling rules "evolved" into NBA rules?

That is called the "Can't Step."  When a player goes from the top of the key and makes a layup without a dribble to win the game. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

That is called the "Can't Step."  When a player goes from the top of the key and makes a layup without a dribble to win the game. 

Amen. Can't guards have done this for years and years and it always annoys me. 

I've probably never seen players try to tuck the ball like that so much in one game.  Obviously, they had a fear that it would get knocked out.  But more importantly, they figured out at some point that the travels weren't getting called.  I have news for you.  If a guy is running towards the basket, stops his dribble, tucks the ball under his arm, and still has time to re-gather the ball with his hands and shoot?  No way.  He most likely took far too many steps. 

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The only call the refs missed was an out of bounds call against Akron where the replay showed that Jake did not touch the ball.   

This had me jump out of my chair more than any other single call, if we are thinking of the same one.  And it wasn't because of the call itself, but what transpired afterwards.  I remember a ball getting knocked out of bounds under the basket, and the official under the basket called it for Akron.  Then the guy at MIDCOURT ran down there to talk to him, and suddenly the guy under the basket decided to change his call.  I was very close to that call, and I couldn't see any way that anyone other than the guy standing feet away from the action, right on the out-of-bounds line, could have seen what actually happened. 

29 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

This had me jump out of my chair more than any other single call, if we are thinking of the same one.  And it wasn't because of the call itself, but what transpired afterwards.  I remember a ball getting knocked out of bounds under the basket, and the official under the basket called it for Akron.  Then the guy at MIDCOURT ran down there to talk to him, and suddenly the guy under the basket decided to change his call.  I was very close to that call, and I couldn't see any way that anyone other than the guy standing feet away from the action, right on the out-of-bounds line, could have seen what actually happened. 

37 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That is the one.  The replay showed that the Central Michigan player just lost control of the ball.  It looked like the ref indicated it came off Jake.  Unfortunately, Jack had a turnover last game when he dribbled the ball off the foot of the opposing player.  The ref indicated it came off his foot.  Hopefully, the bad calls will even out by the end of the season. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:24 PM, feetg10 said:

I looked at the replay and you are correct.  Several of the drives by the Central Michigan guards were 3 steps to the basket.  They drive to the basket and pick up their dribble and then take 3 steps to the basket.  I could not see it until I looked at it in slow motion.  But what is most interesting is none of the Akron players or coaches complained.  I see it in the NBA all the time but usually they call travelling in college much closer. 

7 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I looked at the replay and you are correct.  Several of the drives by the Central Michigan guards were 3 steps to the basket.  They drive to the basket and pick up their dribble and then take 3 steps to the basket.  I could not see it until I looked at it in slow motion.  But what is most interesting is none of the Akron players or coaches complained.  I see it in the NBA all the time but usually they call travelling in college much closer. 

Yeah I noticed that so I was brushing up on my basketball rules.

I came across this at one point and thought it was interesting:

https://m.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1lyyr3/explanation_of_why_3_steps_is_actually_legal/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Yeah I noticed that so I was brushing up on my basketball rules.

I came across this at one point and thought it was interesting:

https://m.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1lyyr3/explanation_of_why_3_steps_is_actually_legal/

Thanks for the link:  "You're allowed 2 steps upon completion of a dribble, so if you dribble while pushing off of one foot it is not counted toward one of your 2 allowed steps."  The Central Michigan player had already picked up their dribble before they take the push off step.  That is why I think it is a travelling.