Zips @ BGSU — Feb 9 at 7 pm

Dr Z

3 Pointers  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quite a stressful night:  first Josh, then the radio equipment fails, then Big Dog.  Buffalo suspends their guard and loses.  Cant barely gets by NI at home.   Eastern crushes Central.  Now the trip to haunted DeKalb.  Players are stepping up.  As we keep winning the pressure keeps building.

27 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Regarding Big Dog:

Read the bottom of the Ohio.Com game story. 

It's being called a "sprained ankle that had previously been an issue for him".  Also a few more comments from Keith, including that it's "not good". 

I expect him to play on Saturday. The "boat anchor" of past years is one tough hombre and a true competitor. He won't sit unless he literally can not walk.

And he is starting to look like a Pro prospect. Those are some inside moves, no one has had an answer for him this year.

Great to see Pat play well and score in double figures.  This is the 2nd game in a row where we lost a lead starting in the 2nd half.  We stopped getting the ball into Pat and start taking outside shots without working the ball inside.  It seems like this team has a brain freeze starting the second half and forgot how they built the lead. 

It is amazing how this team started the 0 for 7 in 3 point shooting and ended the game shooting 50%.  Antino was on fire from the 3 point line.  It seems like every night a different player gets hot from behind the arc. 

I hope that Big Dogs injury is not serious.  Nice to see Jimmond get some extended minutes.  He had 4 turnovers but played good defense and scored 6 points.  I think he will get better as he plays more.   

Whether we're getting the ball inside or not at different parts of the game, what's becoming more and more apparent is that this team has a green light to shoot a lot of long range jumpers......and keep shooting them until they fall.  We're even shooting them frequently in transition. 

The key will be to find the open guys and/or the guys who we really want to shoot them.  And at this point, there's more than just a few guys who have the capacity to shoot them well on a given night.....or even different periods within the same game.  This seems to have everything to do with the reason why we've been going through so many big scoring runs and big scoring droughts in recent games. 

Fasten your seat belts for a wild ride the rest of the way, because I don't see the coaches putting the brakes on all of this.  In fact, I even heard Keith in a postgame recently comment about something to the effect of "we had even more 3's that were good looks and just didn't fall". 

That's been the plan all season long. This team shoots very few mid-range shots (which are the lowest percentage shots you can take). They don't get much going to the rim from the guards, but that's because Antino and Noah are small and usually looking to kick to the open shooter (and both are more shooters anyway). But when you have 6-10, 300 (dog), 6-11, 250 (Pat) and even 6-10, 235 (Kwan, now that he playing of the distributer role out of the block), why wouldn't you play like that? 

The way they are playing right now is exactly how the people who saw the potential (and, of course the coaching staff) envisioned. We knew the 3 point shooters were there. We knew the size in the block was there. It was about meshing it. That is happening. And when this team is clicking, call me a homer, but it is a team that can beat anybody in the country. It's part of why I absolutely hated watching this team from about mid-December to mid-January. You saw the talent, but they played like absolute crap. They luckily out talented everybody but CMU and Toledo in that stretch.

But now that they are putting it back together, its a thing of beauty when its clicking. Of course Big Dog has been the biggest key. If he's out any time, this team may have to go back to finding a way to out talent opponents. Luckily, part of Big Dog's emergence was due to Pat being hobbled. Now that Big Dog is hobbled, it appears like Pat is finally back to near 100 percent. He's the one who will have to carry this team (as far as what they are doing offensively) if Dog misses time. Luckily, he's a fifth year senior who has a track record of being able to carry that load (and tonight was the most confident he looked all year).

I think everybody on this team has figured out their role. The key now, is getting everybody healthy for when it matters (in Cleveland and the tourney). Of course, this is Akron, nothing is ever that easy. In fact, this team has not been 100 percent all year, but is still sitting at 20-4. That's the bright side. The even brighter side is getting the full potential in March. If they can do that, I don't think it will be a wild ride, but a special ride. 

I'll hear anybody out, but nobody can convince me that this team, at 100 percent with players buying into their roles, is anything less than a Sweet 16 (or better) type team. Yes, they are that talented, and more importantly, built as that type of team. That's not saying they are a lock to make a run like that (because how many times have you seen a top tier team lose in a one-game scenario). I'm just saying, if they do get to that level, it won't be because of a fluke (if this team is at full strength).

• Like 2

Cool article in the Toledo Blade.  Nice quotes.  And, we apparently set a record.

"BOWLING GREEN — The Bowling Green State University men’s basketball team forced Akron to miss its first seven 3-point attempts Tuesday.

But then the Zips hit one — and the deluge began.

By the time it had ended, the Zips had set a Stroh Center record for a men’s basketball team by raining 16 3-pointers on the Falcons and claiming an 83-68 victory.

IN PICTURES: BGSU men lose to Akron

“They’re a 3-point shooting team — if they’re not hitting, they’re not going to stop shooting 3s,” Bowling Green coach Michael Huger said. “You have to catch them on a night when they’re off. …"

4 hours ago, wadszip said:

That's been the plan all season long. This team shoots very few mid-range shots (which are the lowest percentage shots you can take). They don't get much going to the rim from the guards, but that's because Antino and Noah are small and usually looking to kick to the open shooter (and both are more shooters anyway). But when you have 6-10, 300 (dog), 6-11, 250 (Pat) and even 6-10, 235 (Kwan, now that he playing of the distributer role out of the block), why wouldn't you play like that? 

The way they are playing right now is exactly how the people who saw the potential (and, of course the coaching staff) envisioned. We knew the 3 point shooters were there. We knew the size in the block was there. It was about meshing it. That is happening. And when this team is clicking, call me a homer, but it is a team that can beat anybody in the country. It's part of why I absolutely hated watching this team from about mid-December to mid-January. You saw the talent, but they played like absolute crap. They luckily out talented everybody but CMU and Toledo in that stretch.

But now that they are putting it back together, its a thing of beauty when its clicking. Of course Big Dog has been the biggest key. If he's out any time, this team may have to go back to finding a way to out talent opponents. Luckily, part of Big Dog's emergence was due to Pat being hobbled. Now that Big Dog is hobbled, it appears like Pat is finally back to near 100 percent. He's the one who will have to carry this team (as far as what they are doing offensively) if Dog misses time. Luckily, he's a fifth year senior who has a track record of being able to carry that load (and tonight was the most confident he looked all year).

I think everybody on this team has figured out their role. The key now, is getting everybody healthy for when it matters (in Cleveland and the tourney). Of course, this is Akron, nothing is ever that easy. In fact, this team has not been 100 percent all year, but is still sitting at 20-4. That's the bright side. The even brighter side is getting the full potential in March. If they can do that, I don't think it will be a wild ride, but a special ride. 

I'll hear anybody out, but nobody can convince me that this team, at 100 percent with players buying into their roles, is anything less than a Sweet 16 (or better) type team. Yes, they are that talented, and more importantly, built as that type of team. That's not saying they are a lock to make a run like that (because how many times have you seen a top tier team lose in a one-game scenario). I'm just saying, if they do get to that level, it won't be because of a fluke (if this team is at full strength).

I agree with you that this team is playing well because players have found their roles.  It is nice to see Kwan passing on the 3 points shots and feeding the ball to Big Dog.  Jimmond is slashing to the basket and drawing fouls.  The passing on this team to find the open man has been fantastic.  However, I still think this team still has major weaknesses when playing top level competition.  We are not athletic, our team is not quick on defense, and our guards are young, small and are not great defenders although they have improved.  Our offense is built around getting the ball to big dog and Pat where they have been dominating in the MAC.  Not sure if they will be as dominating playing in the tournament against high level competition.  A good team will bury us if we open the second half like we did against Bowling Green or Central Michigan.   Most importantly, we do not have experience playing against top level competition.  I think if we play good defense and shoot the ball well we could compete against a top level team but I do not think that we are a top 16 team. 

7 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree with you that this team is playing well because players have found their roles.  It is nice to see Kwan passing on the 3 points shots and feeding the ball to Big Dog.  Jimmond is slashing to the basket and drawing fouls.  The passing on this team to find the open man has been fantastic.  However, I still think this team still has major weaknesses when playing top level competition.  We are not athletic, our team is not quick on defense, and our guards are young, small and are not great defenders although they have improved.  Our offense is built around getting the ball to big dog and Pat where they have been dominating in the MAC.  Not sure if they will be as dominating playing in the tournament against high level competition.  A good team will bury us if we open the second half like we did against Bowling Green or Central Michigan.   Most importantly, we do not have experience playing against top level competition.  I think if we play good defense and shoot the ball well we could compete against a top level team but I do not think that we are a top 16 team. 

Pat, Jake, and Reggie have all played in the tournament and they've played a lot of good teams in their careers. And you don't have to be a top 16 team to make it to the sweet 16, you have to win 2 games in the tournament to make it there. 

33 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

you don't have to be a top 16 team to make it to the sweet 16, you have to win 2 games in the tournament to make it there. 

Putting the cart before the horse, I would be ecstatic to win one game. If we do get the MAC bid, I would be concerned with the strength of the opponent. I would guess it will be someone in the top 20. I would love to play someone outside the top 20, but I just don't see the MAC getting a decent seed if recent history is any indication. Hope I'm wrong. On the other hand, when your hitting 16 threes... :thumb:

Bombs away! falling-bomb-smiley-emoticon.gif

It's been said a couple times, but bears repeating  - this team has the make-up of past mid-majors that have been successful in the NCAA's. We have the guard play and 3-point marksmanship to pull it off. And sufficient P5-level beef inside to hold our own.

We lack a little on the defensive side, but the defense has markedly improved as Robotham's lateral movement has improved and everyone has bought into their roles.

Whether or not we win an NCAA tourney game or two is up to the Basketball Gods. But this team, when healthy, has the best chance of any that KD's assembled. 

13 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Regarding Big Dog:

Read the bottom of the Ohio.Com game story. 

It's being called a "sprained ankle that had previously been an issue for him".  Also a few more comments from Keith, including that it's "not good". 

So he had this injury and the coaching staff and medical staff knew about it, and yet, they kept putting him out there and logging heavy minutes for such a big guy with a sprain. Great decision making, especially when you have Pat and Kwan sitting on the bench. Was it really necessary to play him all these minutes, until he got healthy? Somethings gonna give when you are that big and injured. Great medical staff.