Zips @ BGSU — Feb 9 at 7 pm

Dr Z

3 Pointers  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Going into the season, I figured BG and Buffalo would battle for the basement in the East.  Both having new coaches and SIGNIFICANT turnover, I didn't see either competing.  In fact, I thought BG was easily headed for a 20 loss season. They've surprised a lot of folks after a quick start (4-1 in the MAC, I believe), but have faded since (1-5, last 6). These guys are the definition of "middle of the pack" and there's no gimmes, especially on the road in a parity-ridden MAC.  I think we pull this one out, but it'll be close again. I'll say Zips by 6, but game in doubt up until the last couple minutes. 

Akron 74

BGSU 68

What seems to be creating so much worry is the last-second win last year at BG that saved us from a 40% shooting night. 

It won't happen again, and there's no Richaun Holmes to keep an eye on all game. 

Easy double digit win.   And please let this be the game where we keep our foot on the gas pedal the last few minutes. 

Zips 78

BG 62

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Going into the season, I figured BG and Buffalo would battle for the basement in the East.  Both having new coaches and SIGNIFICANT turnover, I didn't see either competing.  In fact, I thought BG was easily headed for a 20 loss season. They've surprised a lot of folks after a quick start (4-1 in the MAC, I believe), but have faded since (1-5, last 6). These guys are the definition of "middle of the pack" and there's no gimmes, especially on the road in a parity-ridden MAC.

BGSU took advantage of an easy early MAC schedule to start 3-1 and have gone 1-5 since. They perhaps have the most brutal MAC schedule remaining as their final 8 games Akron 2x, UB 2X, NIU, Can't, OU, and their only MAC bottom feeder left WMU. I see them finishing MAC play going 6-12 and being 1 of the bottom 3-4 teams.

Kind of funny to revisit the impressions of the league just a few weeks ago. Elton Alexander took a stab at what he thought the MAC hierarchy was. We are playing what was at the time thought to be the best team in the league. Akron (#6), Buffalo (8) and CMU (11) at ranked at the bottom. The Zips were also in this position a couple years ago and tanked to a 9-7 record. Need to keep that foot on the gas. Nothing is guaranteed but a win against BGSU is about as close as it gets. Zips hit less than the 11 threes average but dominate in the paint, 73-65.

I would really like to see Pat have a great game offensively.  The last 2 games he got called for travelling and it seems to get in his head and he hesitates on his post moves.  Pat had a great year last year and we need to feed the ball in the post and then everything seems to open up. 

It is always tough to win on the road so I expect a close game.  The one difference this year than in previous years is that we have guys who can finish off games at the foul line.  At the end of the Central game we had a lineup of Josh, Noah, Antino, Jake and Big Dog.  Everyone but Big Dog is shooting over 80% from the foul line.  Go Zips! 

• Like 1