Spring Game—Saturday, April 16th

PressCover

Two things I notice when I look at the way they split the roster. First, it could be me, but I didn't see Pittman on either side. Is he hurt? Second, I feel that the Blue Team is geared more toward offense and the White Team toward defense. Should be interesting.

Edited by blueandgold

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

Two things I notice when I look at the way they split the roster. First, it could be me, but I didn't see Pittman on either side. Is he hurt? Second, I feel that the Blue Team is geared more toward offense and the White Team toward defense. Should be interesting.

Pittman is out for the Spring

• Like 1

Game day article.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-drawing-the-blueprint-for-2016-season-1.676328#

Offensive line: The first unit, which allowed few sacks during practices, appears to be set for now. Of paramount concern is whether or not it can maintain cohesiveness.

Linebackers: Judging by the team’s roster, John Rachal, Travonte Junius and Ullysees Gilbert III are expected to start.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Game day article.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-drawing-the-blueprint-for-2016-season-1.676328#

Offensive line: The first unit, which allowed few sacks during practices, appears to be set for now. Of paramount concern is whether or not it can maintain cohesiveness.

Linebackers: Judging by the team’s roster, John Rachal, Travonte Junius and Ullysees Gilbert III are expected to start.

Why do I see a 9-3 team happening.........

7 hours ago, lance99 said:

Why do I see a 9-3 team happening.........

I would be thrilled beyond belief.  

I see this upcoming season boiling down to two things:

1) Blocking in the running game on offense with an inexperienced OL.

2) Tackling in the running game on defense with an inexperienced LB corp.  

The passing game on offense should be fine with the big play guys we have in there, especially with the return of Bennett.  

The passing game on defense should survive with two very good Defensive Ends that should be more than ready to rush MAC QB's to their full potential.  

5 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I am very hopeful that Bennett can work out as a TE. Newman Williams played this well when he was healthy, but we need 2 viable options. When Newman was there there were plays for him because of the focus on Lane by the defense. 

I'm hoping we don't see many minutes for TEs because the Air Raid is back.  Last year Tight Ends caught 13 passes.  Statistically insignificant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K92 said:

I'm hoping we don't see many minutes for TEs because the Air Raid is back.  Last year Tight Ends caught 13 passes.  Statistically insignificant.

Insignificant because we were so often without a viable option due to Williams' injuries, unfortunately. I hope the tide turns for his health. He seems like a hard working, talented kid. 

I like having the TE as a second or third option when coverage is good. 

Ideally, we wouldn't have to use the TE, often, but it is very helpful to have one who the D cannot be ignored.

Anyone know of any way to watch the game online?

I is my understanding the OL transfer from Kentucky has given up football. Best of luck to him. 

Also, if Josh McNeil (dealing with an injury all spring) can even scratch the surface of his potential this season, we should be completely fine at Tight End imo. 

Edited by akron4ever

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I would be thrilled beyond belief.  

I see this upcoming season boiling down to two things:

1) Blocking in the running game on offense with an inexperienced OL.

2) Tackling in the running game on defense with an inexperienced LB corp.  

The passing game on offense should be fine with the big play guys we have in there, especially with the return of Bennett.  

The passing game on defense should survive with two very good Defensive Ends that should be more than ready to rush MAC QB's to their full potential.  

And that is fair. I was not at the Spring Game due to prior commitments. Do they look like a 9-Win team? Are they a bunch of questionarks? Can they hang with the best in the country?

My quick observations from the time I was there:

1)  Gladney will eventually start at WR, if his attitude stays in check.

2)  Chapman is really pressing Woodson at QB.

3)  The o-line is still coming together.

4)  If UA could guaranty that all games would be played on 70 degree sunny days, they'd sell a lot of tickets.

• Like 2

Jamal Marcus with 2 early sacks, he only played the 1st half and was consistently getting dbl and triple teamed. Does anyone else think it's borderline ridiculous how little gets written about him? I mean he's the only returning All-Conference player In the program and yet I can barely find anything written on him (honestly since he got here) and the coaches rarely mention him.

Chapman definitely looks to have gotten his feet under him. I really hope we can find a way to utilize his talent on offense if Woodson still ends up the starter. 

Jordan George broke a bone in his leg the other day and is out about 2 months, but will hopefully be back by the start of the season. The DBs have apparently been the weak link on the D all spring, need

them to come on strong this summer.

Edited by akron4ever

Dr. Z did you record the spring game this year?  If anyone did, please upload for those of us who did not get to come.  I was able to catch part of it on the Radio as well as the stat box, sounded like Running game is a big question mark, and WRs are as advertised.  Biggest surprise hearing about was Tra'von Chapman.  I had almost written him off, but it appears he came out very strong in this spring game.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Very impressed by the depth and quality of our receivers.  Have just the opposite impression of out DB's, though a couple were decent.

This unpleasantly surprises me.  I thought with DeAndre Scott, Larry Hope, Jordan George & Bryce Jones we'd be stout at DB.

The total turnaround in the receiver department is mind-blowing. We are very deep in this position. I hope we run a lot of plays where we line up a bunch of them. Lane was a beast, but few touches. Natson was as entertaining as I had hoped. Smith has potential. Means has potential. Even kids I had not heard of were making nice catches. It was great.

Chapman played very well, like a different player, altogether. I have to believe Woodson is still the guy, but Chapman made some great plays and played with a lot of presence. I am very happy for him. He seemed to take his benching as well as a kid can and remain positive. Today was what I had hoped from him last year. He had a pass batted down and the second time he had a great pump fake and if I remember right, it led to a score.

The defense was fairly solid but I was troubled with the amount of holding I saw in the secondary. Not much else stood out to me on that side of the ball, but Bell saw a lot of snaps with the first team. We have a lot of young talent at LB.

Special teams were OK. They were not playing live returns. The punters were OK but we will not be able to use them as part of the D as we did with Zach Paul. I see us having to put up more points as a result. O'Leary wasn't bad kicking. I believe the new kicker/punter is a grey shirt and will join the team in Jan.

Edit: the schedule posters had a picture of TB and it said Bowden Ball. I think it is clear that the fast paced, higher scoring offense is back. Not a lot of run game today, but what was shown looked fine.

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This unpleasantly surprises me.  I thought with DeAndre Scott, Larry Hope, Jordan George & Bryce Jones we'd be stout at DB.

Don't be put off by this. The speed we have with receivers is a little unreal. Good for Bowden taking kids who want to run track, too. Lane just out muscles people. Natson seems to find creases very well. Some catches were fairly well defended. I think the receiving corps is just that good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

The total turnaround in the receiver department is mind-blowing. We are very deep in this position. I hope we run a lot of plays where we line up a bunch of them. Lane was a beast, but few touches. Natson was as entertaining as I had hoped. Smith has potential. Means has potential. Even kids I had not heard of were making nice catches. It was great.

Chapman played very well, like a different player, altogether. I have to believe Woodson is still the guy, but Chapman made some great plays and played with a lot of presence. I am very happy for him. He seemed to take his benching as well as a kid can and remain positive. Today was what I had hoped from him last year. He had a pass batted down and the second time he had a great pump fake and if I remember right, it led to a score.

The defense was fairly solid but I was troubled with the amount of holding I saw in the secondary. Not much else stood out to me on that side of the ball, but Bell saw a lot of snaps with the first team. We have a lot of young talent at LB.

Special teams were OK. They were not playing live returns. The punters were OK but we will not be able to use them as part of the D as we did with Zach Paul. I see us having to put up more points as a result. O'Leary wasn't bad kicking. I believe the new kicker/punter is a grey shirt and will join the team in Jan.

Edit: the schedule posters had a picture of TB and it said Bowden Ball. I think it is clear that the fast paced, higher scoring offense is back. Not a lot of run game today, but what was shown looked fine.

Informative summary!  Thank you!  (I'm out of likes for the day and it's only 6:20 a.m. Lol.)

I'm hoping for more of these from those who were able to attend.  Go Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold